Author Topic: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one  (Read 225039 times)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: Am I a fish or what?
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2008, 14:38:53 PM »
Last night"s effort gives me another decision to make. Earlier this season my participation in the online events was largely driven by the slim chance of topping the rankings and laying waste to the GUKPT main event. In recent itmes, I"ve pretty much given up as I"d lost ground on the leaders and a result have missed a few tournies. However, last night"s lucky third has got me thinking again and I"ve started trying to calculate whethere its worth sitting down for each of the remaining online competitions. I"m taking part in the main event in London and by my calculations there are an additional 6 point-scoring opportunities (tomorrow night, main event at the Vic + the 4 WCOAP events). I might just have to try again tomorrow after all    
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2008, 14:44:07 PM »

Last night"s effort gives me another decision to make. Earlier this season my participation in the online events was largely driven by the slim chance of topping the rankings and laying waste to the GUKPT main event. In recent itmes, I"ve pretty much given up as I"d lost ground on the leaders and a result have missed a few tournies. However, last night"s lucky third has got me thinking again and I"ve started trying to calculate whethere its worth sitting down for each of the remaining online competitions. I"m taking part in the main event in London and by my calculations there are an additional 6 point-scoring opportunities (tomorrow night, main event at the Vic + the 4 WCOAP events). I might just have to try again tomorrow after all    

Think we are level on points now.  Got to be worth a go, I didn"t factor in the WCOAP events either.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2008, 01:04:31 AM »
So, I"ve just arrived home having sampled the holy trinity of lager,burger, cab home and what do I do? Go straight to bed? You"ve got to be joking, its time for poker!

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »
Saturday morning and whatever happens in tonight"s APAT tournament, I"ll be comfortably in profit for the week; that"s now five weeks in a row which is definitely something I"ve never done before. My attempt to move up a buy-in level on the cash 7 card stud tables has proved to be a nightmare. Its not so much that I"m not up to the level of play, but I"ve been ridiculously cold-decked. If I concentrate solely on the stud hands I"ve played at the higher level, the value of all the pots I"ve lost after having the best hand on sixth street only to have seventh street defeat me comes to more than half a week"s wages. Admittedly, my profit/loss for the week is helped by two tournament third places, but the fact that I"m still in front after such a wretched week is an enormous boost to my confidence. I also can"t help but get excited about what the position would be if the cards had been on my side during my cash play.    

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2008, 21:04:56 PM »
In again tonight and it looks to be following a familiar path. Made a flush early but since then I"ve mainly been folding grade "A" cack.  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2008, 21:50:02 PM »
Well I was right, all my good luck for the season was used on thursday and had none tonight. My exit hand summed it up. I was shortstacked, shoved with king/ten got called by jack/four and a four on the flop was enough to send me out  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2008, 14:22:28 PM »
  As mentioned above, things just didn"t work out for me in last night"s APAT event. I had next to nothing to go to war with in the first hour and then in hour two things went base over apex. However, rather than going into a 24 hour tilt or go looking for a brick wall to bang my head against, I came away very happy indeed that there were signs that my play has moved up a step or two. During APAT season one, I played a number of tournaments but the only ranking points I picked-up were in a one-off Razz tournament. Frankly, I was out of my depth. Back then I would play Ace/King to Ace/Ten and pocket Aces to pocket Nines the same way regardless of table position, state of the tournament and who I was up against. I always slow played Aces,Kings and Queens and generally got scared if someone raised me.
   I"m glad to report that things have changed and what pleased me about last night was a hand that, ultimately, crippled me, but indicated that my thinking is way ahead of where it was this time a year ago. If anyone present on the table at the time wants to correct me on the minutae of what I"m about to report, then feel free. However, I"ll make this as accurate as I can and if anything is slightly wrong, then all I can say is that my thought processes would not have been affected. The hand in question happened during the 75/150 level. The action folded round to me on the button and I raised to 450 with pocket tens. The small blind folded but the big blind reraised to 750. This to me said one of two things. Either he had a monster or he thought I was making a raise because of position only and he wanted to test my mettle. I didn"t think he was making this move with complete junk, but at this stage put him on a range of any pair,almost any ace and maybe king/queen. I decided to re reraise to 1050. I thought that this would be enough to send a message to him that I was serious about playing the hand but was not so big that I would be committed to the pot if he shoved. My opponent then called and the flop came Jack high with no flush or straight draws. The other guy checked and until quite recently I would almost always have put in a continuation bet of about two thirds of the pot. However, I have learnt the hard way about being check/raised off hands so, in view of my fears that he may potentially have checked with a larger pair with the intention of reraising all in, I also checked. The flop was the Queen of Hearts and as the Jack was also a heart, this opened up a few posibilities. My opponent checked a second time, I bet about 1350 into a 2100 chip pot and he went all in. Of course this gave me a tough decision to make; I had a pocket pair but there were two higher cards on the board. I also had to consider that there were flush and open-ended straight draw possibilities as well as overcards to the board and that he may have hit trip jacks or queens. I quickly discounted trip jacks as I didn"t think that he would 3 bet out of position preflop with pocket Jacks or check twice if it he had hit. I also quickly discouted pocket Queens as I thought that if he had hit trips on the turn, with the flush and straight draws out there he would have bet in turn rather than check for the second time. I also ruled out Ace/Ten or any Ace with a lower kicker as it just wouldn"t have made sense to 3 bet prelop with this kind of hand. I did consider Ace/Jack and Ace/Queen but thought that he would have made a bet of some sort if he had hit top pair on the flop and would have made a bet either on the flop or turn with Ace/Queen. This meant I was left with Aces, Kings, one of each or some kind of draw. I didn"t even consider the open-ended straight draw as I didn"t believe he"d have bet that way with Nine/Ten. Although I still thought pocket Aces and poket Kings were strong candidates, I thought the most likely holding was Ace/King. I even had a suspicion that he had Ace/King of hearts which would have given him a nut-flush draw as well as overcards. I called the bet as I was convinced I was ahead and my reading was proved correct as he revealed  ah kc. Unfortunately, the river was a king which saved his neck but put me down to just over 2000 chips. I didn"t last long as soon after a shove with King/Ten was called by Jack/Four and a Four hit. Maybe next time.
  Looking forward to the next few days, I"m unlikely to try again step up to the next buy-in level with on the cash tables. I"m at a gig on wednesday night, on the lager/nightclub trail friday night and will play the APAT Omaha tournament thursday night. I"ll want to get at least one Omaha tournament under my belt before the latter and will spend the rest of my time on the cash tables at the level to which I have become accustomed.                  

Oldsoreknees

« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2008, 20:26:30 PM »

You"ve got to keep going until the Vic; who else is going to give us the biscuit report? Personally I would also like to know if Helmetman's new image has improved his poker or any other aspects of his life.

Helmetman has been on holiday; so the effect on the poker play is yet to be fully explored......however I was very disapointed that nobody wanted to see the photo of my helmet, since I had polished it up specially  :o

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2008, 23:38:20 PM »

You"ve got to keep going until the Vic; who else is going to give us the biscuit report? Personally I would also like to know if Helmetman's new image has improved his poker or any other aspects of his life.

Helmetman has been on holiday; so the effect on the poker play is yet to be fully explored......however I was very disapointed that nobody wanted to see the photo of my helmet, since I had polished it up specially  :o

You dirty old man.  ::)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2008, 08:29:04 AM »
Despite what I posted on here over the weekend, I didn"t manage to get any Omaha practise in last night (Couldn"t tear myself away from the cash tables; I managed to double my buy in on two separate occasions last night. Thanks Pokerstars!). I"m not at home tonight,so someone might need to remind me of the rules ahead of tomorrow.
;D

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2008, 23:48:47 PM »
Time for another blog entry and what is tonight"s effort going to be? An attempt to convey how excited I am about something I"m going to do soon? A collection of lowest common denominator cheap shots at my fellow Norfolk residents? Not this time anyway. Or possibly a thinly-veiled brag post during which I tell everyone how much money I"ve been making recently? Wrong again. Today"s effort has nothing at all to do with poker.
   Tonight I went to The Waterfront in Norwich, a former grain warehouse which opened in 1992 as a music venue/nightclub. I see a lot of bands and the majority are loud, raucous rock bands. When I go to a gig, I don"t go for note-perfect renditions of songs I"ve played to death at home; I look for a bit more. I want excitement, the unexpected, I want energy and I want a performance. Tonight"s band were Mindless Self Indulgence and I"ll have to admit, when I purchased the ticket to see them, I hadn"t heard a single note of their music. However, they have a reputation for wild live shows so I thought it was worth risking £14.
  My usual modus operandi is to stand on the edge of the area people where are hurling themselves at each other so that I get a slight sense of danger but I"m not likely to make contact with anyone"s flailing elbow. Early in the performance, a fearsome moshpit developed, which for the uninitiated means that a large chunk of the dance floor was covered by gig-goers not so much dancing as wildly hurling themselves in any direction until contact with another whirling dervish changes their path. I stood on the edge of this chaos with one eye on the stage, the other alert to rapidly-moving human-missiles. I"m not sure that anything specific prompted it, but there came a point where reserve exited stage left and before I"d had the chance to say my prayers, I found myself in the middle of the maelstrom. The most bizarre sight, amongst many bizarre sights, all evening were the three six foot plus skinheads who decided to have a game of scissors/paper/stone mid venue who were surrounded by ten blokes dancing round them in a circle. I was one of the ten.
   During the final song, the part of hell which had previously been shackled was unleashed and the whole venue became a seething mass of dancing, jumping, gyrating bodies. If my sensible self had been present, I would unquestionably have sought refuge in the space between sound desk and bar, but I didn"t do that. I cast off my last vestiges of self-control and for one beautiful, fleeting moment forgot that I"m forty next year, asthmatic and work in an office.
  Tomorrow morning, back to the call centre.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2008, 23:57:25 PM »
Typo alert - in paragraph three,line one, the words "people" and "where" have been very naughty and swapped position

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2008, 19:46:18 PM »
Another friday, another night on the town. I am allowing myself a night away from my PC to do some quality control on the lager served in Norwich city centre. Where I visit will depend on which friends or colleagues put in an appearance, but I will probably finish in the Chicago Rock Cafe on Prince of Wales Road. This place is legendary in Norfolk nightlife circles and a mere mention of its name is normally enough to bring a smile to the face on anyone who has ever been in there. It doesn"t hold its place in Norfolk"s affections for its music, which normally has a pleasingly cheesey/familiar feel to it, but for its clientele. If I"m being honest, I"m no Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp in the looks department, but walking beyond the cash desk and cloakroom in there is a bit like stepping onto the set of one of the Lord of The Rings Films.
   Back to poker related matters and despite the postponement of last night"s APAT omaha event, I thought I"d have a crack at this variant in preparation for next week at The Vic. I played a 250 runner affair on Pokerstars and finished on the bubble, but was very happy with my final position in view of the paucity of playable hands/positions. Tomorrow I"ll probably stick to 7 card stud cash play on Partypoker and Pokerstars. Unless something goes badly wrong, I should complete a sixth consecutive week of profit.      

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2008, 00:21:20 AM »
I"ve just got home, I"ve had 7 pints of lager and I"ve logged on to Partypoker.  Why do I do this?

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #209 on: August 23, 2008, 11:36:02 AM »

I"ve just got home, I"ve had 7 pints of lager and I"ve logged on to Partypoker.  Why do I do this?

Because when all factors are taken into account, when everthing is weighed up, when the odds are calculated and you sit at that table you just know

YOU LOVE IT !