Author Topic: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one  (Read 225152 times)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: Am I a fish or what?
« Reply #285 on: October 08, 2008, 18:12:57 PM »
Tonight I"m off to a pub near Norwich Airport called "The Firs" for a couple of pints and a £5 freezeout. By the time season three comes round, I may even have become halfway competent at live poker if I make a habit of it.  
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #286 on: October 08, 2008, 18:17:28 PM »

Tonight I"m off to a pub near Norwich Airport called "The Firs" for a couple of pints and a £5 freezeout. By the time season three comes round, I may even have become halfway competent at live poker if I make a habit of it. 

At worst case, your drinking will have improved.

;D

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #287 on: October 08, 2008, 22:51:11 PM »
Didn"t do particularly well at either the drinking or poker. The one bluff I attempted backfired and I was later knocked out by my cousin who held tens to my nines. Despite the pub only being about a twenty minute walk away, I drove, so I couldn"t console myself with a pint or six afterwards.  However, when I got home I found Partypoker being much kinder than usual as I picked up three successive pots with a flush, rolled-up eights and two pair to double my buy in.  

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #288 on: October 09, 2008, 08:26:36 AM »
Tonight I"m off to a pub near Norwich Airport

I was later knocked out by my cousin

You"re not doing much here for the stereotype of Norwichians being inbreds  :)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #289 on: October 09, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »

Tonight I"m off to a pub near Norwich Airport

I was later knocked out by my cousin

You"re not doing much here for the stereotype of Norwichians being inbreds  :)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:29:48 AM by Swinebag22 »
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #290 on: October 09, 2008, 17:38:32 PM »
Within the next few days, I should be starting a blog on the website of the Eastern Daily Press, the morning paper for Norfolk. I have sent them a link to this blog and can only assume that they haven"t read it. Lets hope it stays that way ::)  

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #291 on: October 09, 2008, 19:05:11 PM »

So Rob and I have to keep a look out for a tatty caravan being towed by a E reg Renault van full of "your kind"

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #292 on: October 09, 2008, 19:19:54 PM »

So Rob and I have to keep a look out for a tatty caravan being towed by a E reg Renault van full of "your kind"

Get Orrrrrffffffe Moy Laaaaaaand!

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #293 on: October 12, 2008, 17:49:29 PM »
I just managed to edge into profit again last week, thanks mainly to deciding to play a number of sit "n" go"s yesterday. After departing on the first hand of my first game, I went on to finish second on every subsequent effort. I played a mixture of Hold'em, Omaha High and also managed 2nd place in a Omaha Hi/Lo ten-seater on Partypoker where I only realised I wasn"t playing Omaha High when my initial stack of 2000 chips had been reduced to 1200.  Mmmm, I seem to have done that before, I really should be more observant. I"ll probably reintroduce myself to the world of tournament poker this week. I"ll probably have a look at the PKR series which starts towards the end of the week and as those kind people at Ladbrokes have given me $10 I"ll have to have another look at their site as well.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #294 on: October 15, 2008, 21:43:00 PM »
I"ve had another crack at one of those matrix tournaments on Full Tilt again and managed to finish third overall with two third place finishes. I"m still not really sure whether I"ll be playing these on a regular basis. Anyone else got any thoughts on them?  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #295 on: October 16, 2008, 22:52:23 PM »
Don"t think those those matrix thingies are really for me. I"ve never really been into multitabling anyway, but multitabling four fishy shovefests isn"t me at all.
  Talking of shovefests, I played in a tourney on Betfair tonight in which I was eliminated in 13th place with payouts beginning at 9th. Not long before my departure, i shoved with  :3c: 5d, got called by  kd qh and won by hitting two threes. What a lucky fish I am.  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #296 on: October 18, 2008, 23:27:10 PM »
Another week ends and again I"ve been tinkering with the overall mix of my poker playing time. I tried the matrix tournaments on Full Tilt and frankly can"t see the point. I"ll still putting in plenty of hours on the stud tables of Pokerstars and Partypoker but have also decided to revisit an old stomping ground by going back to sit and gos on Betfair. I always play six handed and my games are a 70/30 or 60/40 mix of hold"em/omaha. Last year I played a lot of these games but seem to have gone off in search of pastures new over the past few months. I reverted to Betfair partly because I"m finding a non-stop diet of stud cash games tedious, but also I felt that  by revisiting something I did a lot of last year, I would get a good idea of whether my play has progressed. Early results are very encouraging. In my last sixteen sit and gos on Betfair, I have finished first or second on twelve occasions.
  As for the week ahead, those kind people at Ladbrokes have placed a few dollars in my account with them which I haven"t used in a while. I"ll probably have a go at one of their deepstack hold"em tournaments which have 5000 chips to start and 15 minute blinds. That"s a format I seem to do well in! I"ll also have a go at one of the events in PKR"s Oktoberfest, positive cash table returns permitting. In addition I should be having an interview for a job managing a team of about twelve people in my call centre, so might have to cut down my playing hours the night before to do some preparation.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #297 on: October 19, 2008, 17:43:02 PM »
I"ve just completed my first deepstack hold"em tournament in weeks and may as well have not bothered. I had ninety minutes of being dealt prime rose-growing material and just about managed to keep myself alive by thieving a few pots here and there. When I got to the point when I decided I was going to shove with absolutely anything, I was dealt kings, duly hit the "max" button, but unfortunately was called by aces. To add insult to injury, a third ace hit on the flop.
  This afternoon"s entertainment came courtesy of Labrokes and if anyone from the company is reading this, thanks for the $10, but maybe next time you could let me have some cards as well?
  I"m now off to find a brick wall to bang my head against. >:(  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2008, 20:46:46 PM »
I hope the week isn"t going to to continue in this vein.............
  Within the space of six stud hands on Pokerstars I lost twice with Ace-high flushes to other Ace-High flushes and also lost with three aces to a rivered flush. Then I moved onto Betfair where I played a six handed hold"em sng. One player had a huge lead, me and the other remaining guy had almost equal stacks. The other short stack went all in, I had Ace/King so naturally also went all in and was followed by the big stack who also shoved. Small stack had Ace/nine, big stack had Queen/Ten and you"ll not be surprised to learn that I was leading until a ten on the river. Not only did this mean the big stack scooped the lot, as the other small stack had me covered by a big, count them, 11 chips, I didn"t even get second.
   Sometimes I hate this f***ing game.      

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2008, 23:29:51 PM »
I fold AK in that spot in the bubble
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D