Author Topic: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one  (Read 225199 times)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: Am I a fish or what?
« Reply #420 on: January 02, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »
No real news to report on the playing front over the last few days. I"ve proved to myself that I can make a steady few quid each week by playing SNGs, but I think they can give rise to bad habits if played constantly. Over the past few months, I"ve had spells when I"ve dabbled with other poker variants, played lots of tournaments, played stacks of SNGs but the thing that I"ve never done with any degree of success is tackling nl hold"em cash games. Therefore, that"s what is going to be my focus for the next few days. My intention is to start at the very bottom and work my way through the levels as my profits steadily increase. So far I"ve been playing on Ladbrokes,Betfair and Blue Square, although I may redownload Lucky Ace Poker if I hit my stride, as I"ve got a dormant account with them with a rakeback deal. I play two full tables from the same site and on the whole early results have been encouraging. Most of the time I"ve been playing ABC positional poker, but have made a couple of decent gains by check/raising players all in when holding a monster. I"ve lost a full buy in twice when getting everything in post flop when I"ve been convinced I"ve been ahead only to see myself out rivered. However, I"m ahead so far.
 Tomorrow night I"ve got a home game to look forward to. Opponents include Steve Stringer (known on here as Ibis), Sandra Stringer (Bad Hat Lady/Victordog2) and Stuart Alcock (Oldsoreknees). As I won the last time we got together, I may have to feign illness so I can retain my WSOP(Norfolk) title a little longer.
  Onto APAT related matters and this week I"ve confirmed my place in the UK championships in Walsall and booked myself a room at the nearby Holiday Inn express for £36. I have also decided to through my hat into the ring with North London for the online league. This wasn"t by any means an automatic choice due to my distance from any of the bricks and mortar venues. I"ve stated before that my choice was likely to be between one of the London clubs, Luton and Nottingham, with Dublin being a possibility as I can probably get there quicker than anywhere else. I was also flattered to recieve a discrete enquiry from a team I"ve not yet mentioned who operate outside the southern division. My choice was largely based on where I thought I had the best chance of getting to the final, but I also wanted to see some other names on the list before committing. What I was looking for was names I thought were capable of repeatedly making online final tables and that I recognised from season two as well as the between season mini league. I think the secret to winning the online league is to have as many players as possible capable of making final tables playing as many of the legs as possible. The names on the list already I think are players who will be committed to, and playing their "A" game in, an $11 a time online league. I suppose I"d better start thinking about which GUKPT event I"d like to play in..........................    
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #421 on: January 04, 2009, 15:26:18 PM »
Last night I discovered a little known tournament rule which I thought I"d share with you. Apparently it"s considered a breach of etiquette to continually raise when your 14 year old niece, playing her first homegame, is in the big blind.

Bad hat lady

« Reply #422 on: January 04, 2009, 17:19:06 PM »

Last night I discovered a little known tournament rule which I thought I"d share with you. Apparently it"s considered a breach of etiquette to continually raise when your 14 year old niece, playing her first homegame, is in the big blind.

It is interesting to note you were more aggressive when playing for chocolate money against your novice niece than when playing for cash against the "big boys" (as I"ve heard they like to be known). Does this say something about your poker philosophy?

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #423 on: January 04, 2009, 17:26:04 PM »

It is interesting to note you were more aggressive when playing for chocolate money against your novice niece than when playing for cash against the "big boys" (as I"ve heard they like to be known). Does this say something about your poker philosophy?

Perhaps he has a sweet tooth, or thought he had an edget against his niece?  The second options seems unlikely though, I"ve seen him play...

;)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #424 on: January 04, 2009, 17:37:35 PM »

Perhaps he has a sweet tooth, or thought he had an edget against his niece?  The second options seems unlikely though, I"ve seen him play...

;)

Is it true that because they"ve slashed the marketing budget, Blue Square will not provide a GUKPT seat for the winners of APAT nationals but will give them a box of Quality Street instead? I need to know as this may affect my strategy at Walsall.
  By the way Des, I"ve previously avoided joining the ranks of those forum contributors who see fit to comment upon your drink buying record. In view of your contribution today, I feel I may have to join in with everybody else........... ;D    

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #425 on: January 04, 2009, 18:05:30 PM »

By the way Des, I"ve previously avoided joining the ranks of those forum contributors who see fit to comment upon your drink buying record.      

that would imply there is a record to comment on ::)
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Bad hat lady

« Reply #426 on: January 04, 2009, 21:47:14 PM »

;)

Perhaps you"ve hit on a way of encouraging more women players. I"m sure I"d be temped to play in a tournament where just before the final table the organisers wheeled in a million chocolates and dumped them in the middle of the table. Have Blue square thought of going into partnership with Thorntons to sponsor the Belgian open?

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #427 on: January 07, 2009, 21:49:31 PM »
I started my creative writing course last night and unfortunately we were writing poetry. This has given me a cunning plan. On coverage of the world series, I"ve seen Barry Greenstein giving a signed copy of his book to whoever knocks him out. For the online national this saturday and the UK championships at Walsall, I will send one of my poems to whoever knocks me out. If that isn"t enough to guarantee two gold medals, I don"t know what is.  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #428 on: January 10, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »
Right, I"ve had a good couple of days on the cash tables and my profits will more than pay for the entry into tonight"s online national so I"ll be there trying to stay awake until the end of procedings (what on earth time will it finish?).
 I"m toying with the idea of having a T-shirt created with "Idrivetractors" emblazoned across the chest in garish letters, with the intention of wearing it at Walsall. I will probably leave ordering it until after tonight"s event, as if I bomb out early as a result of a ridiculous bluff, I"d probably rather stay unrecognised at the national.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #429 on: January 10, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »

I"m toying with the idea of having a T-shirt created with "Idrivetractors" emblazoned across the chest in garish letters, with the intention of wearing it at Walsall.

DO IT !

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #430 on: January 10, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »
Hi Simon, not been able to spend much time on BF with you so far but just interested to know if you"re doing ok. My bankroll up to over $400 so far and taken out more than my original investment so i"m doing ok for now. What u think of it?
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #431 on: January 10, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »

I"m toying with the idea of having a T-shirt created with "Idrivetractors" emblazoned across the chest in garish letters, with the intention of wearing it at Walsall.

DO IT !

Yes sir! "tis done. I"ve just completed the order of a yellow t-shirt with "Idrivetractors" written in green on front and rear for the princely sum of £15.10 including delivery.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #432 on: January 10, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »

DO IT !

Yes sir! "tis done. I"ve just completed the order of a yellow t-shirt with "Idrivetractors" written in green on front and rear for the princely sum of £15.10 including delivery.

At least you"ll be easy to spot for chipcount updates.   ;D

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #433 on: January 10, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »
I think there should be a spot prize for the best/most original/naff  dressed APATer at Walsall. Just gotta sort the prize out -- hmmm -- ideas for the prize anyone...

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #434 on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:54 PM »

DO IT !

At least you"ll be easy to spot for chipcount updates.   ;D

You do know this will catch on Leigh..............imagine big duke with his John Wayne T Shirt  8) ..................Kinboshi with a picture of a rock  ;D and how about a big WOOP WOOP in Liverpool red for Steve
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017