Author Topic: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one  (Read 225153 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: Am I a fish? No I am not.
« Reply #495 on: January 27, 2009, 16:41:25 PM »

top post and well done on 10K hits. I"m hoping to go to vegas at the end of october for a week to celebrate my 38.85th birthday..

As already mentioned elsewhere, negotiations are in the preliminary stage  with management but I hope to have more success than that eejit Garry Cook did in persauding Kaka to come to City.

Chezger travel oct/nov -- just putting the finishing touches to the plans (which will be pants as usual Chezger don"t do plans)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #496 on: January 28, 2009, 01:14:20 AM »
Oh how I wish I could go back in time to the start of my musings. Back to to those warm summers evenings spent nursing a chilled glass of the finest wine, relaxing on  the terrace of a pub on the Norfolk coast, looking to the breeze-dappled surface of the North Sea where dinghies and windsurfers and surfboards provided a palette of many hues. Those were more innocent times, when blog writing was little more than a never-ending stream of look-at-us-funny-backwards-yokel-types, aren"t-we-amusing inanities. 
  However, such halcyon days don"t last forever and I"m now at the point with my writing every parent will recognise from junior"s teenage years, where they demand to be taken seriously, "cos,I"m like, soooooooo, adult now". Despite my years, I"m not too proud to admit that sometimes I too behave like that sulky, underage youth, not listerning to a word of that telling off being administered for being caught swigging a can of Woodpecker. I perhaps should also remember the golden rule of poker writing that for every triumphant, smartyparts, look at ME ME ME,I"m making loads of dosh posting, there"s an equal and opposite, f***-up around the corner.
  Those asterisks in the preceding paragraph give a strong indication of what"s to come, so if you"re of a delicate disposition, look away now. Maybe there"s a chapter of the bible you need to read, or now is the time that boxed-set of Songs of Praise needs to be watched. Do not, under any circumstances, read any further down the page.
  Things went wrong when I decided to open 2 cash tables at 21.45. Up to that point, I had spent a relaxing evening reading "Swimming with the Devilish" whilst listening to Radio Norfolk"s commentary on Norwich City"s illustrious band of misfits, no-hopers and all round s**t-peddlers make a complete pig"s ear of a 2-0 lead against an equally inept Southampton side. For one moment, I seriously considered placing a posting on my Eastern Daily Press blog suggesting that it would be nice if we had a nucleus of players who were at least capable of passing wind, even if passing to  a team-mate more than once a game was beyond them. Thankfully, I baulked at that, but went on to decide that the esteemed Messrs Ladbrokes and Betfair would help soothe my fevered brow.      
  Things started to go wrong on Betfair when my turn shove with Kings was called by Queens, which went on to become trips on the river. This has happened many times since my conversion to hold"em cash grinder and I normally laugh in the face of such reverses. At this point, I really should have taken heed of the warning signs. Rather than reload and resolve to teach that bally blighter a darned good lesson, I thought the sensible thing to do was to see how many times I could type  " F*** " onto one line in the chat box. I believe the answer was four. Over on Ladbrokes, something was amiss. Seated to my left was the big stack, who, frankly, was playing me off the table. Every time I either limped or raised, he joined the pot and took my chips. The sensible thing to do would have been to have left the table resolving to try again another day. However, Mr Sensible-head was not at home tonight, so I decided to stick around to teach this b*****d a lesson. Needless to say that when I raised with pocket eights, fired and got called on every street, I didn"t consider the possibility that the river 9, the second on the table, had turned his 7/9 offsuit into trips. This meant another buy-in headed off into the wild blue yonder. I then typed something like "I"m playing like a c***, see ya". The villain responded with some, oh so jolly jest,which I cut to ribbons with my rapier-like wit by typing "You arrogant c***". I persisted with Betfair a little longer to see a raise and c-bet called by pocket threes which needless to say became trips.
   At this stage I thought Ladbrokes were c***s, Betfair were c***s and if my neighbour had been playing his music too loud, I"d have knocked on his door and called him a c*** too.
  I accept no criticism from anyone who has been shocked by the foul language contained without this post; you we"re warned. You may also attempt to point out that swearing is neither big nor clever. You would be so very wrong to do so. I once knew a professor at the University of East Anglia who was 6 foot 6 inches and swore like a trooper, so there, this proves my point. Funnily enough, he was a right c*** too.              
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:11:59 AM by monkeyman »
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #497 on: January 28, 2009, 12:13:06 PM »
Quality....just quality ;D
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

ibis

« Reply #498 on: January 28, 2009, 21:50:00 PM »

Things started to go wrong on Betfair when my turn shove with Kings was called by Queens, which went on to become trips on the river. This has happened many times since my conversion to hold"em cash grinder and I normally laugh in the face of such reverses. At this point, I really should have taken heed of the warning signs. Rather than reload and resolve to teach that bally blighter a darned good lesson, I thought the sensible thing to do was to see how many times I could type  " F*** " onto one line in the chat box. I believe the answer was four.

I take it you haven"t watched the videos from Stox"s resident psychologist on how to avoid going on tilt.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #499 on: January 28, 2009, 22:51:19 PM »

Things started to go wrong on Betfair when my turn shove with Kings was called by Queens, which went on to become trips on the river. This has happened many times since my conversion to hold"em cash grinder and I normally laugh in the face of such reverses. At this point, I really should have taken heed of the warning signs. Rather than reload and resolve to teach that bally blighter a darned good lesson, I thought the sensible thing to do was to see how many times I could type  " F*** " onto one line in the chat box. I believe the answer was four.

I take it you haven"t watched the videos from Stox"s resident psychologist on how to avoid going on tilt.

Funnily enough I have, but that was back on 25/09/2008. Its on my list for revision before next weekend. To be honest, I shouldn"t have been playing at all. If I stuck to my guideline of not playing when tired, unwell or after consuming alcohol, I would be approximately $140 better off this month. I"m still well in front!
  I had a very interesting session on Betfair tonight. Twice I managed to lose most of a buy in raising from the blinds with Kings, getting called by an opponent in late position with a smaller pocket pair who hit trips. Strangely, I still managed to finish in profit.
 Thankfully Blue Square are being consistently good to me, so i think I"ll have to concentrate my efforts there for the next few days.    
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 17:40:06 PM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #500 on: January 30, 2009, 19:44:28 PM »
Norwich City are playing away at Doncaster tonight and once again I shall be listening to commentary on the game. We are bound to play like numpties once more, so if you fancy making an easy few quid, come and find me on Betfair/Blue Square"s cash tables from about 9.45pm onwards, as no doubt I will be in a fowl mood and dispensing chips to all around me.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #501 on: January 31, 2009, 20:24:50 PM »
Its amazing how quickly some things turn around. After my foul-mouthed rant of a few days ago, currently I can do no wrong. I had a 1.5 hour cash session this morning on Ladbrokes/Blue Square when I just kept hitting hand after hand. This evening, partly to reward myself for a profitable month and partly to get some practise in before the week ahead, I thought I"d indulge in some tournament action. I entered the $11 deepstack (5000 chips/15 minute blinds) on Ladbrokes and am currently 4th of 26th after 2 hours play. What"s more, I"ve got this far without having go all-in once. Hopefully I"ll be able to keep this going so I can fund an evening"s punting at Wolverhampton racecourse next friday.    

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #502 on: January 31, 2009, 22:04:33 PM »
.....And unfortunately I departed in 12th place with the payout starting at 10th. I managed to maintain my record of not playing a single hand which put my tournament life on the line until the third break.
 At this point I was in 6th place and the hand which crippled me was the first after the break. The action folded to me on the button where I had JJ. The blinds were 800/1600 and I raised to 4000. The Small blind folded, but the big blind went all in. I decided to call, not because I had him covered by 7500, but he appeared to be savvy enough to realise that I could have been raising with a wide range. I also thought that he would also have shoved to try and scare me with a wide range and as such, felt my hand was strong. Unfortunately he had QQ which held up. I successfully shoved a few times to prolong my tournament life, but the final hand came when I called a shove for my last 9000 chips with Q9 suited and found myself against QJ. There was a 9 on the flop, but unfortunately a Jack on the turn.
  I suppose I could be unhappy that I"d played so well for so long and had nothing to show for it, but instead I"m delighted at how well I played. Keep this up and there"s a big tourney with my name on some time soon.      

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #503 on: January 31, 2009, 22:28:34 PM »
JJ standard Q9 wtf!

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #504 on: February 01, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »

JJ standard Q9 wtf!

In my defence, I had about 9000 chips left and would have been big blind next hand. The blinds were 800/1600 so I thought, and still think, calling with Q9 was sound.  

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #505 on: February 01, 2009, 01:12:22 AM »

JJ standard Q9 wtf!

In my defence, I had about 9000 chips left and would have been big blind next hand. The blinds were 800/1600 so I thought, and still think, calling with Q9 was sound. 

If you were BB next hand surely you would have shoved UTG rather than called a shove. Shoving with Q9 is fair - calling all-in with it is a leak.
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #506 on: February 01, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »
Whoops. I"ve just spotted a flaw in my reply to Mal. I didn"t limp into the pot, so I couldn"t have been awaiting the big blind next hand, I was actually on the big blind on the hand in question.
  Regardless, I still completely disagree that I made a mistake by calling for the following reasons:

1) I had 9000 chips
2) The blinds were 800/1600
3) As there were 12 players left, we were playing 6 handed

If I"d have passed on this hand and when I was in the small blind I"d have been left with about 6600 chips. If there are only 5 hands between being small blind and my next turn as big blind, I"ve got little chance to wait for a premium hand. I"ve got even less chance to both wait for a premium hand and shove into an unopened pot. In this situation, I expected my opponent to shove with any two cards to try and bully me out of the pot. As such, facing a single opponent with a wide opening range and given that if I passed in the blinds I"d have gone from 5 x BB to 3.5 x BB, I still think that calling here is an automatic play.    

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #507 on: February 01, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »
I like the call.
If you fold in the blinds you have lost all fold equity for shoving with ATC in the next orbit.
You may get a premium in the next 4 hands but may end up having to play it 3 (or even 4) handed where it is more likely you will

With your stack you are looking for a double up heads up and calling in the blinds is the best way to get this situation. Q9 is junk but could be flipping with a lot of small PPs and A rags that would shove there. I doubt QJ was the bottom of his range.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #508 on: February 01, 2009, 22:08:03 PM »
In the first leg of the southern regional competition the payouts went down to 20th place. If you correctly guessed that I went out in 21st you can award yourself a gold star

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #509 on: February 01, 2009, 22:18:08 PM »

JJ standard Q9 wtf!

If you were BB next hand surely you would have shoved UTG rather than called a shove. Shoving with Q9 is fair - calling all-in with it is a leak.

Now I change - calling all in when in the BB is fine with 5xBB. Just unlucky to run into JJ!
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]