Author Topic: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one  (Read 225154 times)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: If Chris Ferguson can do it, so can I
« Reply #645 on: January 24, 2010, 19:20:09 PM »
Ok guys and girls, here"s a poker tip that I don"t think you"ll ever see in any coaching manual. Lets assume you"ve had a relatively early departure from a tournament with (a) a huge overlay and (b) a heck of a lot of deadwood. You feel frustrated, but things have been good recently, so the tilt monster is kept firmly in his cage. How do you decide to get it out of your system? Well, let me tell you that listening to Judas Priest"s classic, yet hugely controversial, track "Beyond the realms of death" does not under any circumstances help improve your mood. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.        
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #646 on: January 25, 2010, 00:39:39 AM »

Ok guys and girls, here"s a poker tip that I don"t think you"ll ever see in any coaching manual. Lets assume you"ve had a relatively early departure from a tournament with (a) a huge overlay and (b) a heck of a lot of deadwood. You feel frustrated, but things have been good recently, so the tilt monster is kept firmly in his cage. How do you decide to get it out of your system? Well, let me tell you that listening to Judas Priest"s classic, yet hugely controversial, track "Beyond the realms of death" does not under any circumstances help improve your mood. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.        

......but finishing 3rd of 14 at Rileys for a £30 return on my £11 investment does
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:38:22 AM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #647 on: January 25, 2010, 17:30:31 PM »
Just in case my temporary paymasters at Pokerstars are reading this, I have enrolled in the final 2 events of the WBCOOP. I don"t like to turn down something for nothing offers and the idea of being able to lay waste to a tournament stuffed full of pros and wannabe pros is an attractive one, but I occasionally need to sleep. I may possibly take a look at the events tonight and tomorrow which start at 10pm, but the following tournaments which start at 11pm are definitely beyond me. Besides which, how many competitions will I need to win before I"m the next contracted pro? :o  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #648 on: January 25, 2010, 20:25:41 PM »

Just in case my temporary paymasters at Pokerstars are reading this, I have enrolled in the final 2 events of the WBCOOP. I don"t like to turn down something for nothing offers and the idea of being able to lay waste to a tournament stuffed full of pros and wannabe pros is an attractive one, but I occasionally need to sleep. I may possibly take a look at the events tonight and tomorrow which start at 10pm, but the following tournaments which start at 11pm are definitely beyond me. Besides which, how many competitions will I need to win before I"m the next contracted pro? :o  

Sod it, I"m in tonight as well. I reckon that as its a 10pm start, 2000 chips 10 minute blinds and around 1400 entrants, it probably won"t be an obscenely late finish. Sleep is overrated anyway.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #649 on: January 25, 2010, 23:07:18 PM »
The first hour has been an absolute blast. I"ve been playing all kinds of hands I wouldn"t normally think about touching and its paid off as I"ve increased my stack from 2000 to 6100. Ok, some of that was due to getting lucky when shoving with A 10 over the top of a raiser with 10 10 and hitting an ace on the river but I don"t care. My favourite play of the hour was raising UTG with 3 5 off then firing on all streets with absolutely stuff-all. Maybe I should try playing this way some other time.      

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #650 on: January 26, 2010, 00:01:52 AM »
I"ll have to admit I played a bit slower that hour. There was one UTG+1 raise with 10 5 off, ace high board followed by a three quarters c-bet that got through and a couple of shoves with strong draws, but overall things were much quieter. Of 1740 starters I"m currently 141 of 343 with 153 receiving a prize of some sort. The winner gets an entry into a $1050 buy-in event in the main SCOOP tournament. Can I fish,luckbox and fight off sleep deprivation to win the big un"? Watch this space.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #651 on: January 26, 2010, 00:19:31 AM »
yeeeeeeeeeee and indeed Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Double up time. AK v A10 and even as I"m trying to type this I"m taking down more pots. This is clearly all down to JBworldwide"s railing skills, so yes I may have consider letting him have a percentage of my action if I make it to the big one. Currently 14th overall.
   Sleep is for wimps  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:07:32 AM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #652 on: January 26, 2010, 00:58:25 AM »
Still grimly hanging in there. 14th place was a high point. I"ve since had a couple of slightly ambitious raises picked-off, but I"m still alive. There are currently only 5 more exits before the bubble bursts, so I"ll probably just make sure I get through that milestone before I get crazy again.
   Playing poker at this time of night on a work day is not an issue any more. I no longer care whether I see my bed before daybreak.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:08:07 AM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #653 on: January 26, 2010, 01:22:49 AM »
I"ve just managed to avoid being bubble-boy but in doing so was on the receiving end of a beat that looked a lot like one which went in my favour earlier. A player with about half my stack shoved, everyone else folded to me on the  button with 10 10, I called and found an ace on the river.

Finally its all over. Since the above hand I"d picked up a few more chips shoving with pairs. I"ve lost most of my meagre stack when in the big blind the action folded to the small blind who shoved and I called. He had 8 4, I had 9 5 and there was a 4 on the board. I shoved next hand with 6 7 suited but was called and hit nothing. It was fun whilst it lasted.  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #654 on: January 26, 2010, 18:31:41 PM »
Tonight there"s more freeroll madness but this time its on Sky as part to the TKO series. The bad news is that this is Omaha. The good news is, apart from it being on fish-filled Sky, the tournament will be full of players who haven"t the faintest idea how to play the game, so I may have a chance of a result.
   I am tempted to play tonight"s WBCOOP on Stars but I will probably give it a miss. Strangely enough, it is also Omaha but as I finished playing this morning at 1.30 and the tournament finished at 3.00, I may allow myself to succumb to weakness and try to get at least five hours sleep one night this week.
  You will have noticed how many posts have mentioned Pokerstars over the past few days. I would point out that I am more than happy to whore my blog off to anyone kind enough to offer me some kind of inducement. Therefore if any other poker site feels they would benefit from a few mentions, I feel my price of a few freeroll entries is very reasonable.      

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #655 on: January 26, 2010, 22:04:13 PM »

Tonight there"s more freeroll madness but this time its on Sky as part to the TKO series. The bad news is that this is Omaha. The good news is, apart from it being on fish-filled Sky, the tournament will be full of players who haven"t the faintest idea how to play the game, so I may have a chance of a result.
   I am tempted to play tonight"s WBCOOP on Stars but I will probably give it a miss. Strangely enough, it is also Omaha but as I finished playing this morning at 1.30 and the tournament finished at 3.00, I may allow myself to succumb to weakness and try to get at least five hours sleep one night this week.
  You will have noticed how many posts have mentioned Pokerstars over the past few days. I would point out that I am more than happy to whore my blog off to anyone kind enough to offer me some kind of inducement. Therefore if any other poker site feels they would benefit from a few mentions, I feel my price of a few freeroll entries is very reasonable.      

So the Sky thing didn"t really work out and as I don"t normally go to bed too early I"ll have a bash at the Pokerstars freebie. I probably won"t be up too late though as I suck at Omaha  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #656 on: January 27, 2010, 21:07:41 PM »
Bad Beat Alert!
--------------
1) Regular $2 tourney on VC Bet
2) Won it last time
3) Going well
4) Player in front shoves
5) I have Aces!
6) Yeeeee and indeed Haaaaaaaa
7) I call
8 ) Everyone else scatters
9) He shows Jacks
10) Yee Haaaaaa once more
11) Two hearts on flop
12) Heart on turn
13) He has Jack of Hearts
14) I have no hearts
15) River = heart
16) Pot would have put me in commanding overall lead
17) I shout "f*****g jammy c**t" at other players avatar
18) Other players avatar fails to respond
19) Yeah, I know first prize is only $75 ish
20) That"s not the point
21) Winning is everything
22)  :"(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 21:12:24 PM by monkeyman »

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #657 on: January 27, 2010, 21:27:45 PM »
NOW WAIT JUST A GOD DAMN MINUTE...............................U HAD AA.......BEAT.............BY JJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The apocalypse is upon us!!!
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #658 on: January 27, 2010, 23:18:28 PM »

NOW WAIT JUST A GOD DAMN MINUTE...............................U HAD AA.......BEAT.............BY JJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The apocalypse is upon us!!!

Yeah damn right. If this isn"t the first item on tomorrow"s News at Ten I"ll want to know why.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:14:42 AM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #659 on: January 28, 2010, 18:13:46 PM »
Time for a little experiment. I normally restrict myself to deepstacks as far as possible and normally avoid crapshoots like the plague. However, when I played the freeroll on Pokerstars (note to sponsors - see, another mention) i decided upon a policy of playing substantially quicker than normal and it went pretty well. So, I"ll give it another go. Starting small, I"ve enrolled in a tournament (on Eurobet) which I normally wouldn"t give a second thought to as it only has 1500 chips/10 minute blinds. The idea is to see how I get on by playing a devil-may-care, all guns blazing style. Report to follow.