Author Topic: "DEAL" - The Movie  (Read 6189 times)

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
"DEAL" - The Movie
« on: June 07, 2008, 19:19:45 PM »
Any of you watched it yet? If so what did you think? Was certainly no "Rounders" but was still an ok watch, although I can see why it bombed at the American box office - I can"t see it really turning people onto poker or appealing to anyone who"s not already into poker. Would defo watch it though if you"re bored one afternoon *cough*at work*cough*  ....

Link to full movie:
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=9303RBRG
WCOAP 2009 Online Omaha Champion
WCOAP 2009 Online ME Final Tablist

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
Re: "DEAL" - The Movie
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 19:21:28 PM »
I would reccomend that people watch "The Grand", very funny mock-umentary.....
  Deepstack champion S2  

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 19:23:23 PM »

Any links?

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 19:28:09 PM »

Any links?

Ahem, er, not available yet.....

Link to website -

Top film

Deepstack champion S2  

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 23:34:13 PM »
Not really a fan of deal, its just a poker version of colour of money and personally would rather watch the color of money. Hate the ending of deal but wont spoil it for people who havent seen it, that would never happen in a tourny tho

clynd99

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 22:38:37 PM »
I remember last year I was in Blockbuster and picked up a poker themed film called "All-in". It had Michael Madsen in, an actor who I really liked before seeing this pile of gash.
I think the moral of the story was play 6 3 like aces, you"re bound to river a 7-high straight, and if you go card dead, you can always stage your own death.
Pap.

NickV

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:56:28 AM »
Just watched this movie... thanks to the OP for bringing to my attention.

On the face of it this movie should be a good watch following a bright college student from beating his buddies, cultivating his game online and then joining the WPT tour. However the finished product comes off like a two hour advert for the WPT and numerous Poker brands.

The performances are wooden except for Burt Reynolds but even he couldn"t make some of the situations presented plausible. How can people basically playing themselves seem so out of place in the poker world (Jennifer Tilly and Phil Laak). The ending is daft with the genuine drama of heads-up poker amde a mockery of and any we are left with a movie devoid of any message beyond "poker is cool and you can win money".

Shame really.

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 19:55:39 PM »

Just watched this movie... thanks to the OP for bringing to my attention.

On the face of it this movie should be a good watch following a bright college student from beating his buddies, cultivating his game online and then joining the WPT tour. However the finished product comes off like a two hour advert for the WPT and numerous Poker brands.

The performances are wooden except for Burt Reynolds but even he couldn"t make some of the situations presented plausible. How can people basically playing themselves seem so out of place in the poker world (Jennifer Tilly and Phil Laak). The ending is daft with the genuine drama of heads-up poker amde a mockery of and any we are left with a movie devoid of any message beyond "poker is cool and you can win money".

Shame really.

Totally agree, felt like I was being advertised to every two second. And really how hard is it to play yourself? They were overacting the parts of themself rather than being natural. It could"ve been a great movie but ended up being something just about good enough to pass a boring hour and a half at work ;)

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 20:42:03 PM »

Any links?

Link to website -

Top film

just "aquired" :-X a copy of "the grand" on ur recommendation Bainn, hopefully have time to watch it before dublin. Not gonna waste my time with "deal" by the sounds of things.
"this is your life, and its ending one minute at a time"

NickV

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 19:05:48 PM »
The Grand is heartily recommended by me. It has the same mockumentary style of Spinal Tap and For Your Consideration. Good cameos. The characters are great parodies of poker celebrity stereotypes but you also end up caring for them and the poker depicted is surprisingly spot on (apart from the comp being winner takes all) with good cameos.

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 01:22:05 AM »

The Grand is heartily recommended by me. It has the same mockumentary style of Spinal Tap and For Your Consideration. Good cameos. The characters are great parodies of poker celebrity stereotypes but you also end up caring for them and the poker depicted is surprisingly spot on (apart from the comp being winner takes all) with good cameos.

All of the above is most likely true, I just thought it was really funny.....
  Deepstack champion S2  

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 01:22:57 AM »

Any links?

Link to website -

Top film

just "aquired" :-X a copy of "the grand" on ur recommendation Bainn, hopefully have time to watch it before dublin. Not gonna waste my time with "deal" by the sounds of things.

Good man Billy, I am quite sure you will/have enjoyed it !
  Deepstack champion S2  

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 09:17:24 AM »
hopefully get time to watch it tonight.

c u in dublin, i will be the baldy guy eyein up ur ginger nuts  ;D

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 16:28:59 PM »
watched "the grand" the other night. entertainin stuff and im sure most poker fans will enjoy it. woody harleson is great. its pretty clear some of the players are loosly based on real players.

would also recommend "lucky you" starring eric bana, robert duvall and drew barrymore. not the best poker movie in the world but definetly worth a watch, ur better half/girlfriend/wife etc will prob enjoy this one too, so everyones happy.

both movies have plenty of pro cameos too.