Author Topic: Pokerstars or Full Tilt  (Read 6133 times)

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Pokerstars or Full Tilt
« on: July 21, 2007, 22:11:01 PM »
Which is the better site? Any positives or negatives for each?

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
Re: Pokerstars or Full Tilt
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 22:57:48 PM »
Well as Pokerstars sponsor APAT it has to be them.

Oh and I"ve never played on Full Tilt.
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 00:05:56 AM »
cheers for that completely unbiased opinion lol

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:55:59 AM »
PokerStars has the best software out of any poker room in my opinion.  The customer service has always been spot on in my experience as well.

Only grumble would be that not enough of the tournaments are scheduled to be friendly to Europeans, something that needs to be done to make them even better.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

FlyingPig73

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 11:59:29 AM »
I agree with Dan. PokerStars has the best software, most probably the best tournaments, but I find it harder on there. The standard of play id better on Stars than on Full Tilt.

Full Tilts software is very good and is similar to that of Stars, there MTT"s seem to have better structures than Stars.

I play on both all the time. Also FT have the FTOPs series coming up again.
"You don't fail when you fall down. You fail when you fall down and don't get back up."

Lankylad

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »
I also play on both -

PokerStars
Good software and i really like the standard 15 min blinds across all tourneys and slow blind rises, meaning there"s plenty of time and play even starting with the normal 1500 chips. Not many tourneys to choose from though tbh, especially if you only have a certain bankroll and can only play at cetain stakes. I more often than not go on only to find there isn"t any suitable tourneys starting meaning either a S&G or a cash game, both of which i don"t really like.

Full Tilt
Also good software and dispite the 10 min blinds the blind rises are pretty slow, with the BB only going up by 10 for the first four levels, then by 20 for the next three levels. Even after an hour and a half play the blinds are still only 100/200. So again no pressure on your 1500 stack for a while at least. But the reason i probably prefer Tilt is because if there isn"t a tourney starting there is the 90 seater double stack sit and goes, where you start with 3k chips, that you can jump into for a really good game!

They"re both good sites, just play both depending what"s on at the time you want to play!

As for standard of players, you wont find a site anywhere that doesn"t have donks at most levels so don"t bother looking, i"m afraid it"s something you have to put up with. I was cruising in a tourney last night on PokerStars playing tight aggressive and doing well when i was dealt Q Q in late pos. Raised the standard 3 x the BB (don"t ever let anyone get away with telling you that isn"t enough, it"s a stadard raise and the implication is the same as a 4 or 5 x the BB raise, if someone says you didnt raise enough when you"ve raised 3 x the BB or more they"re a donk don"t doubt your own play) and get called by some n00b biatch who is out of position. Ofcousre the flop comes undercards rainbow to my ladies so i put out a pot size bet which she calls, a King comes on the turn and now alarms sound, we check it down for her to reveal K J. She called a pre flop raise, out of position, from a tight player, with King high, then called a pot size bet on the flop with nothing, absoloute donk play. That took me down to about 1700 chips, which dropped to about 1200 before i pushed with pocket 10"s only to run into pocket Kings.
But this isn"t a rare situation, everyone on here could tell you a similar story 100 times over, you have to accept it, pick yourself up and try again! Play solid and you"ll win over the donks more than lose to them in the long run!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 15:15:44 PM by Lankylad »
"When you're at the poker table and in a situation where you feel like it's stupid - where you feel you're jeopardising something you don't need to - it probably is stupid. So every time you feel like you're going to do something stupid, don't do it!" - Daniel Negreanu

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 19:03:00 PM »
Ty  lanky.. reguarding the 3 times the big blind raise tho, i do think at the beginning of a tourny online that the raise is not enough and its better to raise four or 5 times the bb, from experience it tends to thin the field better

Lankylad

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 19:56:24 PM »

Ty  lanky.. reguarding the 3 times the big blind raise tho, i do think at the beginning of a tourny online that the raise is not enough and its better to raise four or 5 times the bb, from experience it tends to thin the field better

Yes i agree with that. This was later, we were about 20 places from the money, sorry i didn"t make that clear.
But that"s only to get the donks away from the hand in the early stages, as i said a 3 x the BB raise is enough to good players as they see the intention rather than the size of the bet in comparison to thier chip stacks.
"When you're at the poker table and in a situation where you feel like it's stupid - where you feel you're jeopardising something you don't need to - it probably is stupid. So every time you feel like you're going to do something stupid, don't do it!" - Daniel Negreanu

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 08:50:26 AM »
The 180-seater SNG tournaments on Stars are excellent as well.  Due to the very fact that they"re a SNG, there"s always one 10 minutes or so away at most times.  
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 19:35:48 PM »
I am getting bored of playing on PS and 888. So I thought of playing on a different site but which one? FT seems to have a good review, I was also thinking of Betfair I believe they are doing qualifiers for the WSOPE but then again, I presume that all the sites are. Any ides of which site to play on.      

FlyingPig73

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 19:54:59 PM »
Betfairs software is not good, in fact its one of the worst I have played on.....

Really annoying........Full Tilt or Party Poker has to be the next best to PokerStars....
"You don't fail when you fall down. You fail when you fall down and don't get back up."

DarthClubs

• Bronze Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 22:34:29 PM »
I enjoy pokerstars and full tilt.
Will Hill is also a good site to play on as well
1000 chip start in SNG (so quite a quick game especially on turbo)
1500 chip start in tourneys

I also play on PartyPoker.
Now this is a rubbish site to play on but they have a step program which i love.
Its six steps which consists of a 1 table SNG per step.
Step 1 costs $3 all the way up to step 6 which costs $500
You can buy in at any step and the top 2 advance to the next step, 3rd and 4th get another go at that step, 5th 6th and 7th drop down a step, and 8th and 9th lose completely.
I like this because if a noob donk makes a stupid play on you and you lose you can get another go (unless you"re 8th or 9th lol)
I bought in at level one and am now at level 4 $70 to play.
When you make it to level six you cant drop down, you either make the money or you,re out completely.
But 1st place wins you $2000.
Not a bad return for $3
But apart from this i"d stay away from this site. Its nowhere near as polished as pokerstars.

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 03:42:29 AM »
It did used to rival pokerstars but all that changed when they banned americans from playing on the site, the guarentees in tournaments went way down and so did the numbers, it wasnt that bad a site once upon a time. I downloaded it yesterday just to have a look, it lasted 4 minutes before it  got uninstalled lol

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 17:36:28 PM »
The Overall standard of play on Betfair is the worst of any site I"ve played on, but the software is very unreliable.  I tend to alternate between that and Pokerstars with the occasional foray onto Ladbrookes. Incidentally, Partypoker now charges for withdrawing funds.
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one