Author Topic: Time To Drop The 1% Levy On Stake Winnings  (Read 9712 times)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Time To Drop The 1% Levy On Stake Winnings
« on: November 14, 2015, 18:14:59 PM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 18:28:04 PM by MintTrav »
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Scousebill

• Gold Member
  • Liverpool FC, APAT Poker @TheHummingbirds CoLFC
Re: Time To Drop The 1% Levy On Stake Winnings
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 21:30:39 PM »
Possibly..... I do miss having the odd opportunity to lose my cash a different way. Blame somebody else rather than myself..
Silver Medal APAT European Champs. 2015
WCOAP 6-MAX Champion, 2015.
2015 APAT Player of The Year.
Online 10th Anniversary Vegas Sat. Winner 2016

Twitter @APATBillShep

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 00:07:00 AM »
1% shouldn"t be making a difference, lack of activity on the forum is the major difference IMHO.

Post counts must have fallen significantly and there are fewer active members.
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

kevod85

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:51:28 AM »

1% shouldn"t be making a difference, lack of activity on the forum is the major difference IMHO.

Post counts must have fallen significantly and there are fewer active members.

Totally agree, as one of the 9 to use it this year and previously. Seems to be a lot less interest in the forum as a whole which obviously has a knock on affect to this function.

APAT Welsh Amateur Championship 2012 Bronze Medal

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 14:55:34 PM »
The thinking on the fee and 1% was to deter non serious players from pitching for staking.  The amounts involved have been tiny - so I"m not sure that"s a big deterent.  But we wouldn"t have an issue removing them if established APATers said they were a deterent.

I think forum traffic is down across the board everywhere - which is more a reflection of the growth of social channels etc.

That said, we are having a record year for traffic on the main site and for signups etc, but a lot of those players are not active on the forum, probably for the reasons above.  We need to up our game in general promotion of forum also.

Interestingly, we are ranked 20th of the top 50 for poker in the UK on the internet"s most popular ranking sites in October (most recent ranking), based on  traffic (non bots), engagement, frequency, etc.

Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 15:42:01 PM »

Interestingly, we are ranked 20th of the top 50 for poker in the UK on the internet"s most popular ranking sites in October (most recent ranking), based on  traffic (non bots), engagement, frequency, etc.

Interesting that Winamax.fr is apparently a more popular site in the UK than APAT..... UK players were booted off Winamax over a year ago!

What sort of position has APAT held on this list previously? is #20 a peak?

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 22:55:45 PM »
Somewhat surprised to see that Blonde is apparently lower ranked than APAT. Makes me question the ranking basis.

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 10:21:25 AM »

Somewhat surprised to see that Blonde is apparently lower ranked than APAT. Makes me question the ranking basis.

I think APAT are likely to pick up more unique passing traffic than blonde, who would see more repeat traffic on their forum.  But how "engagement" is measured isn"t clearly defined.  
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »

I think APAT are likely to pick up more unique passing traffic than blonde, who would see more repeat traffic on their forum.  But how "engagement" is measured isn"t clearly defined. 

Makes sense, unless engagement is related to post count. Although Blonde is less poker and more "other stuff" these days.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 17:48:47 PM »
Thanks for taking the question seriously Des. I accept that reduced activity on the forum is a factor, but I believe that the fee is also a disincentive. In fact, I know it is, as I haven"t started any stakes on here for a long time. I don"t know about others, but I would really like to put stakes on this forum, except I don"t want to have to surrender a portion if I should win something decent. The disincentive comes from the potential cost, not what may have occurred so far. And it isn"t 1% of the player"s winnings, as they don"t get to keep 100%. If I use a stake in order to play something out of my price range, I may only own 25% or less.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 18:12:30 PM »

Thanks for taking the question seriously Des. I accept that reduced activity on the forum is a factor, but I believe that the fee is also a disincentive. In fact, I know it is, as I haven"t started any stakes on here for a long time. I don"t know about others, but I would really like to put stakes on this forum, except I don"t want to have to surrender a portion if I should win something decent. The disincentive comes from the potential cost, not what may have occurred so far. And it isn"t 1% of the player"s winnings, as they don"t get to keep 100%. If I use a stake in order to play something out of my price range, I may only own 25% or less.

Not to derail, but, would you seriously play an event with less than 25%? I don"t think I could ever sell more than half my action, and would generally not want to go beyond 35%. If the event is that far out of my bank roll I would expect to have satellited in and selling to cover travel ex"s and satellite costs. Paying 1% of a bink in those circumstances seems ok to me - it"s supporting the community that gave me the route to the stake.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 18:41:45 PM »

Not to derail, but, would you seriously play an event with less than 25%? I don"t think I could ever sell more than half my action, and would generally not want to go beyond 35%. If the event is that far out of my bank roll I would expect to have satellited in and selling to cover travel ex"s and satellite costs. Paying 1% of a bink in those circumstances seems ok to me - it"s supporting the community that gave me the route to the stake.

Yes. I"d like to take a shot at the Main Event and I"d probably have 20% or less if I did, if I could find enough mugs to take the rest. And I"d like to sell as much as I could of it on here, though I may well have to put it up elsewhere as well.

Apart from that, I wouldn"t go that low, but the fact remains that talking about 1% is misleading with regard to how much the player receives.

You say you don"t mind paying it, David, but you haven"t put a stake on here for over two years.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 20:17:19 PM »
To be fair, I"ve only played one stakeworthy tournament since the last offering on here (Sept 2013) and that was two years ago when I sold 25% of the UKIPT 6Max on Blonde. I"ve sold on both sites about an equal amount and the 1% has never factored into the decision.

Since then my biggest buy in has been £110 and even that was over a year ago.

I"d like to take a shot at the ME too, but that"s what satellites are for. Would sell a piece to cover expenses, but 80%? I don"t know that many mugs.