Author Topic: AA fold or call ?  (Read 18461 times)

mrmacacan

• Bronze Member
    • Chorley Poker League
AA fold or call ?
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »
OK what would you do, think about it and be honest.

You have played umpteen satellites, hours and hours of playing
and YES you have won a seat in the WSOP main event. 

You sit down the dealers begin, you are on the button.

You look at your cards and they are AA.

A, There is a all in from mid position,folds round to you ------ you fold or call and why ?

B, There is a raise and a re-raise all in, folds round to you -------you fold or call and why ?

C, There is a raise re-raise a re-raise all in and a call, folds round to you ---- you fold or call and why ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might get a few responses but I would fold on every one (instant).

A, You call, you know he as a hand so you are probably 80% fav in most cases.
are these good enough odds to risk the biggest game in your life ?
If you did double up what odds would you be to win the comp as opposed to before the hand ?, sure someone will know, how many players have doubled up early and made the final table ?, not many I would think.

B and C, against 2 or more players your odds come down to 70% or less, with 4 in the hand you might be talking around 50%, not even worth thinking about IMO.

I would rather play and just chip away at players chips for a while before making any massive moves.

Just my opinion.
Cheers

mrmacacan.

Possibly the best Home Games in the UK: 

http://www.chorleypokerleague.com/

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
Re: AA fold or call ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:39:40 AM »
Why enter the WSOP if you are not going to play AA the way you normally would? I will not fold AA preflop in the face of one allin raise 100% of the time because I have the nuts and can use a bigger stack to boss the table, if I get beat I will enjoy all the other delights that vegas has to offer. 2 allin raises, i"ll still call, 3 now I will have to think hard but might still call as I am odds on favourite to win the hand. How can you expect to cash, never mind win, if you dont get your chips in ahead? Also, if I bust out, at least I can say I had the best of it. :)

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »

Why enter the WSOP if you are not going to play AA the way you normally would? ...

In a deepstack tournament I would normally fold in these circumstances.
In a crapshoot I"d call all of them because you need to keep ahead of the blinds so it"s worth risking more - but this certainly doesn"t apply to the WSOP Main Event (or any other deep stack tournament)

Why play any deepstack event if you are only going to play it in the same way as a crapshoot?

... How can you expect to cash, never mind win, if you dont get your chips in ahead? ...

This makes the assumption that calling is +EV and folding is -EV.
This only takes account of this hand in isolation - but (if you stay in) you have hundreds and hundreds of more hands to also take in to account.
The benefit from the initial bigger stack you have won"t last that long

So I"d suggest that calling is +EV but folding is bigger +EV.

NB:

...3 now I will have to think hard but might still call as I am odds on favourite to win the hand. ...

You are odds on favourite to lose to one of the other players.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:47:36 AM »
A-All-in
B-All-in
C-All-in

Absolute no brainers, I"m 100% guaranteed ahead and may not get the same chance in the tourney, why the fk would I fold.

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:26:06 PM »

A-All-in
B-All-in
C-All-in

Absolute no brainers, I"m 100% guaranteed ahead and may not get the same chance in the tourney, why the fk would I fold.

what he said. im afraid im just not a good enough poker player to lay down aces pre flop....guilty as charged   ;D
"this is your life, and its ending one minute at a time"

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »
any other tournie id be all in, not an issue..but WSOP..my first time..I"d think i"d fold, purely to try to experiance more of the WSOP....and wait, and hope i got aa later, much later so at least if i do get knocked out later, i have enjoyed and experienced more of the WSOP..
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:41:49 PM »
i would be calling on the basis that this is no limit hold em and you can be knocked out any of the next hands..all it takes is somebody to hit their one outer then your gone..my personal opinion is if your willing to do that then what happens when you play and hit your hands... your left thinking the worst case scenario..eg ive flopped top pair, he"s betting into me does he have a set..etc etc

you may never hit your monster and then you will be left to rue not playing those aces!

that said though, a very tricky dilema

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:43:12 PM »

A-All-in
B-All-in
C-All-in

what he said. im afraid im just not a good enough poker player to lay down aces pre flop....guilty as charged   ;D

what ross said for the reasons billy said
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:43:58 PM »
With Jon on this one. In a deepstack tournie like the WSOP why risk your life so early. So you might double up, but you can also quite easily be on your way out the door. Patience is the name of the game in deepstack poker. IMHO.
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 12:49:15 PM »
Call every time , deep stack no difference if you want to win you cannot play scared poker. I wouldnt care what tourneyit is you have to play for win you know you have best hand so get it in there.
I understand your thinking but you are favourite to win and get a massive stack and you can have a lot more fun at the tourney when you cant be busted!!

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »

... In a deepstack tournie like the WSOP why risk your life so early. So you might double up, but you can also quite easily be on your way out the door....

Some time later on in this tournament - you will be able to gain over 10,000 chips by stealing the blinds.

Just trying to emphasise how little those chips are worth.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »
To be fair the value of the chips are all in relation to the blinds jon and to get to the stage of the tourney when you can steal 10k i believe if you can get your chips in pre flop with aces you should do. Yes you might make early exit but you also the more likely scenario have lots of chips to take a bad beat or a mistake later which will not send you home cos you doubled tripled up early

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 13:00:29 PM »

To be fair the value of the chips are all in relation to the blinds jon and to get to the stage of the tourney when you can steal 10k i believe if you can get your chips in pre flop with aces you should do. Yes you might make early exit but you also the more likely scenario have lots of chips to take a bad beat or a mistake later which will not send you home cos you doubled tripled up early

If you"re up against more than one person you"re favourite to lose.

Also to win the tournament (and you are talking about playing to win aren"t you?) you need to win all the chips in play.

You"re willing to risk your tournament to win less than 0.02% of the chips in play?

The average winning hand in holdem is 2 pair, don"t you think you should have at least the average hand before you risk all your chips?
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 13:08:50 PM »
with scouse on this one. The advantage of being chipped up is massive. Of course it doesn"t gaurantee anything, but it gives you scope to further build your stack and take a hit/badbeat without losing too much momentum. A lot of pros risk a lot to get chips early, and even scenario C, whilst being a big risk, is probably worth it. The fact that it is the WSOP should not come in to it. Even on the downside, it makes for a good story to tell your mates you went out in the very first hand holding pocket aces.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 13:10:47 PM »
To be honest jon i would against 1 , 2 defo and prob 3 , 4 5 bit more unlilkley, but even more unlikely it would happen to be fair.
And you think of range of cards people would go all in with would be big pair or AK so you have em dominated you are thinking of any 2 random cards. In reality you would prob only have to dodge 2 outs for each player and it could be kk v kk v qq v qq v your aces where that is some value!
I understand your thinking why risk your tourney life but i think why not and would take the all in pre flop when i know i am the most likely player to win (i know 4 v me the 4 may be fav but i am most likely singular)
I could understand comments if it was 4 rock stars all in blind put if real players i believ hands above would come into play so would call ! at wost you would split with another aa of someone hits 2, 4 outs ! Just my opion and there is no right or wrong answer , they are players chips and players opinion