Author Topic: AA fold or call ?  (Read 18460 times)

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: AA fold or call ?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 13:15:53 PM »

To be honest jon i would against 1 , 2 defo and prob 3 , 4 5 bit more unlilkley, but even more unlikely it would happen to be fair.
And you think of range of cards people would go all in with would be big pair or AK so you have em dominated you are thinking of any 2 random cards. In reality you would prob only have to dodge 2 outs for each player and it could be kk v kk v qq v qq v your aces where that is some value!
I understand your thinking why risk your tourney life but i think why not and would take the all in pre flop when i know i am the most likely player to win (i know 4 v me the 4 may be fav but i am most likely singular)
I could understand comments if it was 4 rock stars all in blind put if real players i believ hands above would come into play so would call ! at wost you would split with another aa of someone hits 2, 4 outs ! Just my opion and there is no right or wrong answer , they are players chips and players opinion

Good Post
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 13:18:27 PM »
cheers jon , a compliment on my 100th post ( well 101st lol ) but almost !!

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 13:32:47 PM »

A-All-in
B-All-in
C-All-in

Absolute no brainers, I"m 100% guaranteed ahead and may not get the same chance in the tourney, why the fk would I fold.

Yep every time - but hey it"s me  ;D ;D ;D

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 13:37:02 PM »

cheers jon , a compliment on my 100th post ( well 101st lol ) but almost !!

But I still think that playing a deepstack tournament with the same strategies and tactics as a shortstacked one is a fundamental mistake.

You stick to shoving your (100 big blinds) chips in when you have the best hand preflop.

I"ll stick with shoving them in when I have the best hand post river.  ;)
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 13:59:47 PM »
Just out of interest, why is the thinking different because it"s the WSOP main event?

I"d probably fold in situation C, but I almost certainly call in B and definitely in A.  How can you fold in situation A?  What difference does it make that it"s the first hand?  Is 20,000 not quite big enough a pot to risk your tournament so early?  At what point does it become not too early before you"ll play Aces?  I know it"s a ten day tournament, but there"s cautious and there"s being too cautious.  I"d probably call with Kings in situation A.  

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 14:04:48 PM »

Just out of interest, why is the thinking different because it"s the WSOP main event?

It isn"t, it"s different because it"s a deep stack long clock tournament.

...  At what point does it become not too early before you"ll play Aces?  ...

If I was falling behind the average stack I"d consider it, and if I was down to less than say 30 big blinds I"d consider it.

But generally I don"t want to play my hands pre flop, and I"d have to be fairly desperate to put all my chips in when I only have a pair.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 14:11:04 PM »

If I was falling behind the average stack I"d consider it, and if I was down to less than say 30 big blinds I"d consider it.

But generally I don"t want to play my hands pre flop, and I"d have to be fairly desperate to put all my chips in when I only have a pair.

You always fold Aces in deep stack tournaments apart from in the two scenarios you mentioned?

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 14:17:50 PM »

You always fold Aces in deep stack tournaments apart from in the two scenarios you mentioned?

I meant in the all in situations.

When I"m dealt aces - it"s not that often I have somebody go all in before, or after me, let alone more than one person do so. This is particularly true in deep stack tournaments as there are fewer people who would be so rash to do so when they have plenty of chips spare.

One relevant thing I forgot though is obviously at later stages of the tournament then their stack sizes are obviously just as important as yours.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 14:27:00 PM »
One thing I forgot to take into consideration before. If I am, or think I am, the best player at the table I will most likely fold in all these situations, as I know I can outplay my opponents. Truth is, I am just not that good, so I have got to take these opportunities to build a big stack.

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 14:33:55 PM »

One thing I forgot to take into consideration before. If I am, or think I am, the best player at the table I will most likely fold in all these situations, as I know I can outplay my opponents. Truth is, I am just not that good, so I have got to take these opportunities to build a big stack.

But is it not better to be lucky than good?  Being dealt aces when someone has gone all-in before you is an incredibly fortunate situation isn"t it?  Being 80% to double through, for me anyway, is an opportunity not to be turned down.  Even if I can out play everyone, how long will it take me to out play them to the point where I"ve accumulated the 20,000 from the table I could have won had I called with Aces in the first hand?

Why not call, win the 20,000 and then out play them also?  If you lose you lose, but I"m sure that"s too good an opportunity to pass up.  We"ll have to agree to disagree possibly.  ;)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 14:40:14 PM »
I call every time.

A, There is a all in from mid position,folds round to you ------ you fold or call and why ?

I"m ahead.  This a great opportunity to double up.  This means that later on you are not at risk at going out when you make a bad play and get your money in behind or get outdrawn.  You can also use the chips to win more chips.  You are going to have to win a LOT of races to cash in a WSOP.  Either that, or you have to be Eck.  We aren"t all Eck.

B, There is a raise and a re-raise all in, folds round to you -------you fold or call and why ?

Same as above.

C, There is a raise re-raise a re-raise all in and a call, folds round to you ---- you fold or call and why ?

Same as above.

Now KK is a different matter...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 14:42:21 PM by Kinboshi »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 14:41:00 PM »

...  We"ll have to agree to disagree possibly.  ;)

er, yes ............ but,

this comes back to the point - patience is the key.

i.e. It doesn"t matter how long it takes as long as you"re still in the tournament.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 14:42:23 PM »
[

Why not call, win the 20,000 and then out play them also?  If you lose you lose, but I"m sure that"s too good an opportunity to pass up.  We"ll have to agree to disagree possibly.  ;)
[/quote]

i agree totally..with those chips at your disposal it will be easier to outplay people as they won"t want to get involved.

another scenario though..what if it was the payout bubble and you were calling for your tournament life...

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 14:44:11 PM »

another scenario though..what if it was the payout bubble and you were calling for your tournament life...

Phil Helmuth-stylee instacall.  Why?  Because your opponent"s ranges are much wider and they will be sticking their chips in assuming they have fold equity.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 14:53:24 PM »
Ok so for those who would fold AA pre flop in scenario 1, I assume without an all in by the time it gets to you, you reraise 100% with this hand or are you flatting to either keep the pot small or to set mine with AA?