Author Topic: Giving online poker another chance...  (Read 16353 times)

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • To be the man you have to beat the man
Re: Giving online poker another chance...
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
21:35 $20 + $2 Full Tilt $100 Guaranteed Doulbe Deuce
I then switched from single to multi table, as 7,000 runners lined up to try and turn 22 bucks into a $22k payday.

Not much to say about the first few levels as I was totally card dead and did not play a hand.  I blinded away and when I did pick up JJ I had to release on a KQ7 flop against 2 callers.  The last hand before the 1st break I did manage to double up to 1,800.  There were 2 limpers and I have KhQh in late position, I decide to squeeze and raise big.  All fold to 2nd limper who pushes all in.  I don"t think he is super strong as he would have raised originally.  His play was consistent with a mid pair and I fancied a race so I called.  KQ vs 88, board AK7,A,A and I get my double through.

I didn"t last too long after the break but I felt I was a bit unlucky with my exit.  I raise with AdQs and get called behind.  Flop J82 (2d) and I continuation bet and get called.  Turn is Qd and I move all in.  I get called by 99, and the river Th kills me as his straight wins.  I finish mid field in 4,511th.  That big payday is on hold again, better still to the SNG"s.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 02:01:41 AM »
22:58 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
Back to the SNG"s, tight again early, managed to win a small pot with a flopped set of 3"s, but mainly staying out of trouble.  Its a very tight table and I have managed to get up to 2,170 without any risk.

I then blind away down to 1,400 as I cannot find the cards or opportunity to make a move.  With blinds 50/100, I push early with 88 and there is a all in behind (this could be trouble).  88 vs QQ but 8 on flop and its suck out city, up to 3,625 with 6 left and 3 very short stacks. 

The button pushes and its only 300 more to me in the BB.  My K8 is crushed by his K9, especially on a low board until the 8 on the river knocks out one of the short stacks.  Up to 4,135 now with 5 left and 3 players less than 800, I am in good shape.  We reach the bubble and he SS only has 400 left, but somehow manages to survive to reach the money.  I have 3.2k vs 10k chip daddy vs 300 SS.

He goes shortly after and much as I try to double my stack it never happens and I have to settle for 2nd.  Its about as good as I could have done so I am delighted to reach the money yet again.  Another good SNG.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 02:09:13 AM »
So not a bad first day back in the world of online poker.

General thoughts are that the standard of play seems fairly low at these levels, with players making poor decisions and allowing you to take advantage of them.  It remains to be seen if this continues but I felt totally in control at the tables and in control of my game the majority of the time.  I made 2 bad mistakes which I will try not to dwell on.  I definitely won"t be making them again.  I put them down to being a bit rusty and then a bit over confident.  I move on and always look to the next SNG.

Figures for today are;

SNG Played 10, 3 wins & 3 2nd"s  A great start.

MTT Played 2, no cashes.

I think I am going to concentrate on the SNG"s tomorrow and hopefully continue the excellent start I have made to my online adventure.

NO BAD BEATS - This online gig is easy money...

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 02:10:26 AM »

Is this in preparation for S3?

Good luck James, what's your name on FullTilt? I will look you up on Sunday

What level will you be playing at?

I am ThinkerJE on both Pokerstars & Full Tilt, although I will be trying to stay away from online sharks like yourself Mr P.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 02:11:13 AM »

It"s easy this internet lark isn"t it James ?

It seems it today, lets hope it continues in this manner...

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 08:50:15 AM »

Figures for today are;

SNG Played 10, 3 wins & 3 2nd"s  A great start.

Sweet. Stick in James.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 19:15:05 PM »
Monday 15 December 2008

After watching India stroll to victory in the test match, I fire up the laptop and hope to continue the good run from yesterday.

12:20 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
Raise and continuation bet with AQ but have to release when I get check raised.  Then raise and re re raise on button with AK only to have to release on a 9 high flop when matey with irish position pushes the flop.  Down to 850 with 7 players left, blinds 25/50 and very much the short stack.

I need to get busy and raise UTG with AdJd and get 2 callers.  Flop is brilliant, Th 8d 9d so I push and get called by 99.  Lots of outs and hit the diamond on the river to stay alive.  Up to 1,875.  Then I raise shortly after with 55 and get 1 caller.  I bet out on a rainbow T32 flop and take a nice pot.  Up to 2,100, 6 left, 75/150 with 2 short stacks.

I raise with AK and SB pshes for only 140 more.  However BB flat calls aswell.  Not sure what to do now and so simply call.  Flop is 455 and BB pushes and I have to pass.  BB shows same hand with AK, SB survives with A4.  Down to 1,375 wit 5 left, 75/150, 1 big stack and the other 4 are similar sizes.

I raise with 33 and get called by the big stack.  Flop is TT8 which I figure is fairly harmless and push all in, he folds, up to 2,075 with still 5 left, 100/200 and 3rd in chips.

Stay out of he way and we lose another player, onto the bubble with stack sizes me 2k, 7.5k, 1.5k & 2.5k.

Goes very tight and the 4 of us manage to play the entire level, when antes are introduced I only have 1,975 and need to find a spot soon.

UTG calls and I make up in SB with J8 and BB checks.  Flop J33, I push and get called by BB with 36o (damm), however I suck out with runner runner spades to hit a flush to survive.

Next level 200/400/25, 4 left and I have 3,100.  I push with A8 and get called by A9 (double damm).  However I suck out again on the flop 3A8,7,7 and I am now chip daddy with 5,125.

The bubble bursts and we are in the money.

I button push with A6 and get called by AK.  Flop 3s 4s 5s, turn 6s, river 7s!!!  WOW, chop chop.  Then I push with 79 and get called by K9.  Flop A52, turn 5, river 9, chop chop again!!!  I must be destined to win this with all the suckouts I keep dealing out.

However it is not meant to be as my Q3 vs A6 loses and then my K4 vs KJ knocks me out in 3rd.  No complaints, happy to make the money as I went in behind lots of times and managed to suck out.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 19:27:11 PM »
13:44 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
No hands played during the first 2 levels.  7 left with 25/50 blinds and me on 1,420.

Called a raise from solid player on button with AKo.  Had to fold on 9 high flop.  Probably should re raise there, but I felt he had a pair and did not want a race at that stage.  Down to 1,195, 50/100 with 6 left.

There is a mid position raise and I push in the SB with JJ.  JJ vs 77 but a 7 on the turn sends me packing in 6th.  It happens, got my chips in good, happy with my play overall.

14:22 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
Level 1, I raise 2 limpers in the BB with AQ and they both call.  Flop is A38 (all diamonds), I bet 200 into 310 pot and take it down without any fuss.  Up to 1,700 early doors.

Then a hand I could have played better.  2 limpers and I complete with T9 in SB, BB checks.  Flop 9TK (rainbow), I check intending to check-raise but all check behind.  Turn 6c (now 2 clubs) and I bet at it, BB folds, 1st limper calls and 2nd limper min raises. This is strange and figure him for a big draw so I re raise, 1st limper folds and raiser moves all in.  Its only 400 more and I am committed to call, but I fear I need to house up on the river.  Sure enough he shows 78 for the turned straight and no house arrives on 5th street.  Down to 535, 9 left 15/30 and very much the short stack.  I probably should bet the flop looking at this again, however he will still call with his up and down straight draw, and I should not have overvalued 2 pair so much on this dangerous board.

I cannot find a spot and finally push my last 350 with A8 vs KQ vs AQ and no miracle 8 to save me this time.  Gone in 7th.  Disappointed with this game, should have recognised the danger and not got carried away with the hand.  Another learning point for the database.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 19:39:28 PM »
15:07 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
Very tight table.  I re raise in SB with AK and take it down pre flop.

Level 3, I call a raise on button with 66 but have to release on QT4 flop.  Down to 925 and I am the short stack with 9 left, blinds 25/50.

I check Q6 in BB after the button has flat called.  I check-raise the queen high flop and push all in on the turn to get him to fold.  Up to 1,350, blinds 50/100 and still all 9 players.

We lose a couple of players but it now becomes a game of chicken and basically a pushathon.  With 7 left, blinds 100/200, I only have 1,175 and only one move in my locker.

I push KJ vs 33 and river a king to move up to over 3k and become the chip daddy.  Then I raise UTG with AK and SS moves all in for less and also get called by the other big stack.  I get out of the way as there is no ace or king on the flop, and the SS"s TT loses to the big stack"s QQ.  Now down to 2,110 with 6 left.  I somehow manage to guide the thinker stack though the next level without a showdown as we lose 3 players and the bubble bursts.  Now I plan to be even more aggressive.

I push A4 and get called by KQ.  Ace on flop and I am up to 4k.  Then my aggression backfires.

Button limps and SB makes up.  There is a lot of chips in the middle and I sense weakness.  I push all in with 2d9d hoping to pick up the dead money.  Button insta calls with QQ (another top thinker read!!!).  Flop gives me hope with 2 diamonds, but the 3rd never arrives and I finish 3rd.  Crazy game.  There were lots of players still in as the blinds got very big.  Needed some luck to make the money, but again overall happy with my play, even the crazy bluff at the end, its a move I like to make, just so happened my read was way off this time.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 19:56:36 PM »
16:29 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
Re raise with TT in BB and button raise with AQ gets me up to 1,680 early in level 1 without any confrontation.

Level 2, raise with AK and get 2 callers.  I bet the king high flop and take it down.  Up to 1,800 with 8 left and blinds 15/30.  Call a bet in SB with JcTc and check raise the very nice flop QcJs4c to take me over 2k.  Then I limp with QsTs and 4 players see a rainbow flop T 7 6.  I bet and get 1 caller.  Turn is Q, I bet and get called again.  River is 6 and he checks to me.  Think I am winning but wonder what he may have so just check and win the pot against his T4.  Definitely missed a bet on the end, however I was worried about being raised, although looking back if he has me beat he would bet the end and not check.  These value bets are important as you need to make the most out of your winning hands.  Another thing to put into the SNG database for future reference.  Up to 2,600, still level 2 and I am the chip daddy now, 7 left.

UTG SS moves all in and I re raise in mid position with AK to isolate.  AK vs 88, king on turn wins it but then I throw away my very good position the very next hand with some bad poker play.

Now I am UTG with 88 an raise.  1 caller in SB and the flop is 468 (2 clubs).  He checks and I bet my set and get called.  Turn is a blank and he checks to me again and I bet half my stack.  This is my first mistake.  I should push all in here, it is a overbet of the pot but I need to get him to laydown his obvious draw.  He calls my weak bet and then pushes all in on the Tc river.  Its all my chips to call with my set, and everyone can tell he has hit his flush.  I know I should suck it up and fold and try to steer my short stack to the money as it was still playable.  However with over 7k in the middle I manage to convince myself that if he had a flush draw he would raise my flop bet.  I call and cilla black time as he shows Kc9c for the flush.  THIS IS REALLY BAD PLAY!!!  A REALLY BAD CALL!!!

I am annoyed at myself for not making this laydown.  I should have pushed the turn also and make him make a bad call.  I should also not get involved with the one player at the table who can knock me out.  These are all fairly simple SNG rules and I chose to ignore them.  Really bad play that must be learnt from.  I had thrown away a really good position and come away from the SNG with nothing.  Plenty of learning has gone into the thinker database after this game.

After giving myself a good thrashing I put it down to experience and move onto the next SNG, determined to play a million times better.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 20:11:37 PM »
17:17 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
Played very solid early on.  Made up with AT in SB and managed to get 1 bet called on TT5 flop.  Up to 1,580 at level 2, 15/30.

Slight mistake with QJ in SB vs KQ on a queen high flop.  The ace on the turn probably saved me from doing all my chips.  Now down to 925, with all 9 still going and blind 25/50.

I go out in 7th, 2 limpers and I check QT in BB.  Flop is T 7 3 and I check hoping for someone to bet.  Matey pushes all in and I insta call.  He shows KJ for a complete goo ball, however the king on the turn hits him and knocks me out.

Didn"t really get into this SNG, and was low on chips at the end.  Perhaps I should just push the ten high flop and take what is in the middle, but I wanted to double up and there was always a risk of the out draw.

18:02 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
I limp with 99 (in position) and 4 players see a KT4 flop.  All check and a 2 arrives on the turn.  3rd limper bets and I think he is trying to pick it up so I call.  Jack on the river and it goes check check.  99 wins againt his 88, up to 1,700 early, very tight table once again.

No hands, 1,595, 50/100 with 8 left.  SS pushes UTG for 455 total.  I call in BB with TT vs A4.  Board comes JQAKJ and my straight is good.  Then card dead, apart from a couple of button steals, nothing much has happened.

SS SB pushes and I insta call in BB with AQ vs K7, flop is A76 (good), turn K (sick), river blank and I take a hit.  The very next hand there is a raise in mid position.  I wake up with AK in SB and push, called.  AK vs JJ, flop 9TJ, but no Q arrives and I am gone in 6th.

Another frustrating game.  I felt I played alot better and kept my patience well.  Just needed the hands to hold and the result could have been different.  No mistakes this time though.

So today has been a bit different than yesterday.  Only 2 thirds to show from it so far.  Going to have a break now and get some food.  I may have a few more SNG"s later tonight, and try to get the strike rate back up to where it should be.

NO BAD BEATS - I guess this is what they call variance...

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 18:48:31 PM »
I didn"t get back online to play any more SNG"s.  The lure of good Italian food, a very nice red wine and only fools re runs on G.O.L.D was too much to resist.

Tuesday 16 December 2008

Woke up late, not having to go to work is brilliant.  Switched on TV to find some rather fit ladies crunching and stretching in very skimpy outfits.  I had a double take to make sure I had not left the sky box on babestation from the night before, then the aussie accent gave it away.  The programme in question is the rather fantastic Aerobics Oz Style.  Would it be wrong to sky plus this when I go back to work?

Anyway, I had a few tasks to do early afternoon and finally got online to the virtual felt around 4pm.

16:07 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
Play tight early.  2nd level 15/30, I call a raise with 66 and 3 of us see the flop.  7 6 T (bingo!!!), the raiser bets, I re raise and the other caller pushes all in.  Raiser gets out of the way and I call.  66 vs JJ, turn Q, river T and I am up to 3,025 with 8 left and big chip daddy.

Then I sit and fold alot as the other players proceed to get knocked out.  A few steals along the way but we reach the bubble and I still have 3,025 in chips.  I still don"t get involved and we are in the money at 100/200 with 2,850 in chips (vs 7.4k & 3.2k).  I basically made the money on the back of one hand.  Now it is time to get aggressive.

The SS button pushes and I wake up in the BB with KK.  I am against A6 and no ace means we are heads up with 4k vs 9k.  It goes back and forth without me ever getting near to the chip lead.  With blinds 100/200/25, I have 3,500 and chip daddy pushes on button, I have AQ and insta call.  AQ vs 82, the deuce on the river means I am gone in 2nd.  Pleased with my patience in this game and another cash is a good start to the day.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 19:05:12 PM »
17:29 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
I raise in mid position with AK and get 1 caller.  I bet out on the 8TT flop and get called.  I slow down now and it is checked to the river.  He shows 55 to take it down and I am 1,150 with 9 left 15/30.

I raise UTG with KK.  Matey in mid position re raises and the button flat calls.  I am not messing around so I push all in.  The raiser folds, but the caller calls???  KK vs A9 (how ad is that???), the kings hold and I am up to 2,660, 25/50 with 8 left.

I re raise in the SB with AcKc and get called.  I flop the nuts Tc4c2c and check, he checks behind.  The turn is an ace and it goes check check again.  I bet a third of the pot on the river and get called (he mucked).  Up to 3,795, 25/50 with 8 left.

Then the table gets very tight and I go card dead.  Apart from a few steals in position I have nothing to play.  I now find myself the SS with 2,000, blinds 100/200/25 and 4 left.

I get it all in pre flop, AQ vs 99, board comes 9T4Q7 and I go out on the bubble in 4th.  Damm I hate the bubble, not much more I could do though and pleased with how I played the situations that arose.  Just one of those games.

18:45 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
This game did not last that long due to this encounter during level 3.

There is a min raise in early position and 5 callers.  I am in BB with 9dTs and it is 50 to call into 400 pot.  Flop Th 9s 6s and I check (being sneaky), the raiser bets and gets called.  Perfect now I can squeeze with what is likely to be the best hand anyway, make them pay for their draws and hopefully win a big pot.  I push all in and they both call!!!!  T9 (2 pair) vs 99 (set) vs AsJs (nut flush draw).  So I only have 2 outs, a spade on the turn and blank river takes us both out.  I can"t understand why the set doesn"t re raise on that dangerous board, it would give me a tricky decision, one I would like to think I could get away from (but then agian...).  Anyway I am out early and decide that I didn"t do too much wrong, I think I made the right play, just ran into a better hand.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 19:24:44 PM »
19:17 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
I get no hands early and sit tight as is my game.  I still have 1,500 at 75/150 with 7 players left and no risks have been taken.  It is so important to stay out of trouble early in these SNG"s, plenty of time to get funky later when the blinds get higher.

I do a stop & go move in the big blind with Kd Jd on a QT2 flop, now up to 2,175 with only 5 left and 75/150 blinds.

There is a raise from mid position, and I wake up with AA in the SB.  I re raise and he pushes and I insta call.  AA vs J9off (!!!!!), flop Q8K (I know a ten is coming), turn T (doh!!!), river J (justice).  Broadway takes it, I am up to 5,275 and big chip daddy on the bubble.  Hate his push with J9, I have not played many hands, why would he choose to get funky with me, he had time and chips left not to play that hand (not that I am complaining like).

I raise a SS with AQ vs 88 all in pre flop.  No help small hit down to 4,540.

I raise in position with AT and get min re raised.  Now I am worried I am dominated but the pot odds are massive so I call (must be wary of an ace on the flop).  Flop is A7J and he checks, I check behind (fearing a bigger ace).  Turn is 4 and he min bets again.  Again massive pot odds and not too much of my remaining stack so I call.  River T (gotcha).  He min bets again and I raise (hoping to get paid by AK), he then min re raises me, and I am a bit confused.  I figure I am probably beat now, either AJ or 77 being most likely, however the odds are massive again so I call and he shows KQ for rivered broadway.  I probably gave him too much credit for a big ace and should have bet the flop when he checked.  I took that as strength rather than he wanting a free card.  Should have been more aggressive in that hand I think.  Down to 3,475 and 2nd in chips, still 4 left with blinds 100/200/25.

I don"t get involved and the bubble bursts and we are in the money.  I get it all in pre flop TT vs AJ, board 2T223 and double up to 5,650 with 3 left (1 very short stack), blinds 200/400/25, total pushathon now, just one big game of chicken.

All in pre flop with the SS, 88 vs J9, 5K849 board and we are heads up 7.5k vs 6k.

I push on the button with AQ and get called.  AQ vs K7 and no help for him means I take the win.  Well pleased with my play, I got some good cards along the way but played some good poker aswell.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 19:46:58 PM »
Break for tea, pasta again but very nice.  No red wine tonight as I wanted to get back online as I felt I was playing well, so I had a couple of beers instead.

22:50 $30 + $3 Pokerstars
I raise in position with AT and get called.  Flop is KA2 and he checks, I bet and he calls.  Turn is 9 and it goes check check.  River 9 and he bets, easy call as the king plays and it is probably a chop.  He shows KJ and I take the pot.  Up to 1,725, 15/30 with 8 left.

Limp with 88 and 4 people see a Q23 flop.  Matey bets and I decide to be aggressive and raise to take it down.  However he calls.  I shutdown now and have to fold to his river bet, he shows KQ and it was a good read.  I like the play I made and the decision to back off when I got called.  Down to 1,300 25/50 with 8 left.

I raise on cutoff with AJ and BB calls.  Checked to me I bet the KQ7 flop on the semi bluff but matey pushes and I have to release.  Down to 1,000 and short stacked now.

Now for a suck out.  UTG limps and I find AhQh and raise half my stack (probably should just push here as I am calling whatever),  all fold to UTG who pushes and I call (knowing I am in trouble and hoping for a race).  AQ vs AK, flop As 8h 7h, giving me the flush draw, turn Td, river Qd.  Very lucky suck out and double up to 2,300.

Then the very next hand I get it all in against a shorter stack.  JJ vs QT, a queen arrives on the flop and I am down to 970, 50/100, 8 left and SS again.

All in pre flop 88 vs JT on a 45657 board and I am up to 1,790, 75/150 and 7 left (with 2 very short stacks), playable again now.

Have to sit back a bit now as alot of chips are moving every hand.  I move in position or when I get a good hand but get no action, we are now 100/200/25.

I push with 33 and get called.  33 vs A8, board 973KJ and I am up to 3,500 with 5 left and 2nd in chips.  Chip daddy then disposes of 2 other stacks and we are in the money.  He then knocks out another and we are heads up 4k vs 9.5k.

It went back and forth a bit but he was using his stack well and I could not eat into his lead.  Finally I pushed with the monster 52 off and was up against AT (they are live), however an ace on the turn sealed it and I finish 2nd and I am very grateful for it.  I got very lucky with the AQ vs AK hand, but you need to make the most of it, as it goes against you sometimes aswell (those are the times you remember).  Pretty pleased with my overall play, chip stack was up and down like a tart"s knickers, which is not my normal tight style.  However you must play each situation as it arises and make the most of them.