Author Topic: Your Thoughts please..  (Read 8537 times)

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Your Thoughts please..
« on: December 16, 2008, 22:15:25 PM »
$6k guaranteed on betfred..$5buyin

blinds 400.800.  I have 7k...villian has 16.6k.  folded to him in mid pos.

he bets 2400
i call for another 1600 in BB with 10"s..(ok to call?..raise all in?) i now think all in as M of less than 10
FLOP.. 9c jh 7d

I Bet 2k..(enough..ship it?..)

he re-raises..all in..
i call (ok..?)

he shows..AK...k on river..i said in chat..strange call with A high..am i right
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
Re: Your Thoughts please..
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 23:38:18 PM »
I"d have shoved on him pre-flop.  I think calling 2400 with a stack of only 7000 is too bigger percentage.  

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 23:45:17 PM »

I"d have shoved on him pre-flop.  I think calling 2400 with a stack of only 7000 is too bigger percentage. 

Yes me 2, and/or shipped it in after flop.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 23:49:43 PM »

Daf ? what would George do

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 23:57:31 PM »

Daf ? what would George do

george would have had   9s 7h and have 2pr

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 00:16:59 AM »
calling pre flop is only ok if you are prepared to go all the way with it no matter what the flop is. I prefer the shove pre flop but others will say that "stop and going" does give you alternative ways to win the pot.

So once you call you have 4600 behind and the pot is 5200 going to the flop. So shove em in. Opponent may fold but will probably call given

1. he has 2 overs
2. he may actually think he is ahead vs a stop and goer
3. he isn"t putting his tourney on the line with the call.

The 2K bet is basically a shove in disguise anyway because you aren"t going anywhere and most oponents would know that anyway. Dont think the AK guy did anything too bad to be honest.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:09:02 AM »

Dont think the AK guy did anything too bad to be honest.

agree with all u say ..TY..only "arguement"..he knows he has to catch...no?....im tellin him i have at least pair..with the fact im basically commited.??
Carpe Diem

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 06:01:14 AM »
i would say its risky calling with the AK but he did over cards but there is 2 lines of thought i would say

1. i presume the villain"s thinking that on that flop his AK is good as you only called his pre flop raise and would be looking at a weaker ace. even if you shoved all in pre flop he has already commited 2.5k in chips and would surely call

and with AK pre flop and tourney life aint in danger then should you shove his call is ok too

2. but also (going by theory books) you maybe shouldve check raised all-in and that tells him that you have a made hand

its a difficult one to play the way you did

without knowing too much about the villians past its hard to know how his style is

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:17:27 AM »

calling pre flop is only ok if you are prepared to go all the way with it no matter what the flop is. I prefer the shove pre flop but others will say that "stop and going" does give you alternative ways to win the pot.

So once you call you have 4600 behind and the pot is 5200 going to the flop. So shove em in. Opponent may fold but will probably call given

1. he has 2 overs
2. he may actually think he is ahead vs a stop and goer
3. he isn"t putting his tourney on the line with the call.

The 2K bet is basically a shove in disguise anyway because you aren"t going anywhere and most oponents would know that anyway. Dont think the AK guy did anything too bad to be honest.

I like the stop and go here.  AK can call the shove correctly pre-flop, but his call on the flop is meh imo, he might have the odds to call if he knows both of his cards are live (if you have AJ for example, only his K is live).

Shoving pre is probably my usual course of action, mixed up with a bit of wash n" go.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »

Dont think the AK guy did anything too bad to be honest.

agree with all u say ..TY..only "arguement"..he knows he has to catch...no?....im tellin him i have at least pair..with the fact im basically commited.??

The argument is when in the hand you are pot committed. You are saying you are pot committed after your lead on the flop, but the AK guy is thinking that you are pot committed after the call preflop (edit) that committed a third of your stack.

Yes, there is a very strong possibility he has to catch, but he also cant rule out the possibilty you are bluffing with air. Once you call his raise pre flop, he knows you are pretty much pot committed and knows you will pretty much lead on any flop whether you have a pair or not
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 13:10:24 PM by Swinebag22 »
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 11:41:53 AM »

he re-raises..all in..
i call (ok..?)

he shows..AK...k on river..i said in chat..strange call with A high..am i right

Re your chat comment - he didn"t call with A hi - he pushed with it, and that is perfectly reasonable given the apparent weakness of your relatively small lead out bet.

With your stack size, once you decide to play the hand at all, you have to be prepared to commit your entire stack. So - it"s just a question of all in pre or post flop.... I tend to prefer stop and go - flat call preflop, knowing that you are open shoving after the flop whatever comes down. He then only has three cards to hit if has overcards, and on this flop, you may even get him to fold JJ.

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 19:47:56 PM »
all about learning..so thank-you all for comments...

i now think it was fold the BB or raise all in...most of my hands held up so not complaining about the rivered K, it happens, just trying to understand the way i play better to further improve

finishing 252nd (200 cashed) from 1600+ im pleased about, the night before i was 7th out of 669 in the PPbetfred freeroll series, leg 4...so picked up $40.

the reason for the post, wasn"t a complaint but to get more experianced better players viewed, and you have..so thank-you.

Carpe Diem

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 20:37:29 PM »

i now think it was fold the BB or raise all in...most of my hands held up so not complaining about the rivered K, it happens, just trying to understand the way i play better to further improve

finishing 252nd (200 cashed) from 1600+ im pleased about, the night before i was 7th out of 669 in the PPbetfred freeroll series, leg 4...so picked up $40.

the reason for the post, wasn"t a complaint but to get more experianced better players viewed, and you have..so thank-you.

Don"t think I"d ever fold tens in that spot with such a short stack.

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 02:04:15 AM »

Don"t think I"d ever fold tens in that spot with such a short stack.

oops.meant dont think..but all in
Carpe Diem

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 04:02:36 AM »
Not the way i"d play TT with 8.75bb left,but you know that now it was a shove or fold situation so enough said.
as played though AK re-raise is ok??? Mathematically to make it correct he has to think you have no pair or no piece of the flop what so ever.

blinds 400/800  no antes ?
villian bets - 2400
you call - 1600    
pot - 5200
you had 7000 called 1600 leaving 5400 back
you lead out 2000  [3400 left]  
villian re-raises putting you all in,so basically he is risking 5400 to win 10600 with 2 cards to come with Ace high.
That is odds of 1.96 to 1 , equity wise %33.78

So what is AK beating to make the shove correct maths wise -
board 9c  jh 7d
AcKd - 73.131%
AQs+,ATs,A8s,A6s-A2s,KQs,KTs,QTs,T6s,86s,AQo+,ATo,A8o,A6o-A2o,KQo,KTo,QTo,T6o,86o - 29.419%  

a fairly broad range of hands that have missed the flop,but if we add any hand to this range that has hit the flop -

AcKd - 34.636%
22+,A2s+,K9s+,K7s,Q9s+,Q7s,J2s+,T6s+,92s+,86s+,72s+,A2o+,K9o+,K7o,Q9o+,Q7o,
J2o+,T6o+,92o+,86o+,72o+ - 65.364%

if villian figures that you have a pair of sorts,a piece of the flop or flopped the straight which by the way all combined is 48% of all possible hands , what will the figures look like -

AcKd - 21.535%
22+,AJs,A9s,A7s,KJs,K9s,K7s,QJs,Q9s,Q7s,J2s+,T7s+,92s+,86s+,72s+,AJo,A9o,A7o,
KJo,K9o,K7o,QJo,Q9o,Q7o,J2o+,T7o+,92o+,86o+,72o+ - 78.465%

What does everyone think about the AK re-raise now , who is for? who is against?

2. but also (going by theory books) you maybe shouldve check raised all-in and that tells him that you have a made hand

he definitely would price AK in if he [wazz] check raised all in, as played by villian it is rather debatable about shoving AK to a lead out from wazz..
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 04:20:22 AM by noble1 »