Author Topic: singing the blues  (Read 41749 times)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: singing the blues
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
Thanks for your support Noble, you are right, I did know Kirby was in Knowsley as I drive thru the area on the East Lancs Rd when I am going to Goodison, but I was banking that Dan wouldn"t as he is in the midlands. I was trying to be clever and get one over on him, but didn"t manage it, so I will give him that one. But thats the only one he is  ;)going to win this week! ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 11:48:26 AM »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 12:23:39 PM »
No it makes you Brumscousanese  :D

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 13:03:38 PM »
i just love derby days....lots and lots of good memories...the " friendly" derby!!

only time i have ever since trouble at anfield (exluding the mancs of course)

and the onlytime i have spilt with a girlfriend because of football...

in case your wondering......she was a blue nose..we "d been together for 4 years..both season ticket holders at respective clubs...(weekends where funny, as we"d share what happened at night on the saturday, and just didn"t speak if we played each other.

well one time she went too far....we lost 2-1 at Anfield, Andrie Konchelshev (or wotever) scored both, train on the way home was unbearable,,,she moved out on the wednesday

Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 13:43:06 PM »
LOL. It may be once was the "friendly derby" but not any more the hostility between fans is pretty scary to be honest, the last 2 derbies at Goodison, have gone against us, and for some reason the clubs think segregation is not necessary for this game. But ask the smattering of Liverpool fans around us if they felt safe, I personally saw to guys get clouted, the offenders then promptly got up and left before the stewards could do anything!
Civilised people can enjoy the game for what it is and take the banter that goes along with it, but this game seems to have become more significant over the years in respect of bragging rights, and the atmosphere can be very unpleasant.
The Glenn Dimplex group have a factory in Prescott, and if one or the other team wins, then they have 50% absenteeism the next day!!

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 14:53:34 PM »
The derby"s changed a great deal in my lifetime.  It used to be a friendly, and yet fiercely competitive rivalry.  Now, there is a nasty element to it, and it"s a bit sad really.  There are all sorts of reasons, bitterness towards Liverpool about Heysel, a change in the mentality of "fans" of many clubs (including Liverpool and Everton), maybe even a change in society in general.

I"m also a big rugby league fan.  The atmosphere at the grounds is top draw, friendly, never any trouble, mixing in the pubs before and after, families sitting together. 

Or should I say WAS.  It"s changing, and not for the better.  Getting to be like football, and I"ve seen elements of trouble (a very small minority, but there nevertheless).  You can still drink at your seat whilst you watch the game, and I"ve never felt "scared" or intimidated at a match.  It"d be a shame if rugby league deteriorated any further down this route.

Anyway, back to the weekend.  Predictions?

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 15:21:03 PM »
reading Carra"s autobio at mo..and he goes into good detail of how the atomsphere has changed over the years.

predictions....

League  2-0..Torres 12mins, Alonso 60mins

Cup  1-0..Torres 78min Everton 10men 86mins

I want 3pts more than the cup win.  Wrong?
Carpe Diem

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 16:04:02 PM »
meh i still think it is a small minority that spoil it on derby day but in the main because actual family"s can be 1/2 red 1/2 blue the majority take it as it is,just a game between 2 historic clubs with bragging rights till the next one....

cup -  1*1 everton win replay 2*0  ;D
league - 1*3 everton win and gerrard gets subbed again for no reason.. ;D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIMiE2vElX0[/youtube]
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2009, 16:24:58 PM »
League Liverpool 1 Everton 1
Cup Liverpool 0 Everton 2

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2009, 16:36:21 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt4X7zFfv4k[/youtube]

football is just a game.. ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 16:42:32 PM by noble1 »

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2009, 22:14:09 PM »
Okay, we will settle for that. Good lad Tim, we couldn"t do with going down to a jailbird!
Thats my first part of the prediction correct, now for the cup!

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2009, 23:56:14 PM »
just finished watching setanta and cannot believe how many so called liverpool fans said Rafa must go? talk about knee jerk ... Maybe they should get Juan Ramos  ;D

gr8 prediction mystic mike, sunday will be very interesting   ;D

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2009, 08:29:15 AM »

just finished watching setanta and cannot believe how many so called liverpool fans said Rafa must go? talk about knee jerk ... Maybe they should get Juan Ramos  ;D

i get fed up with hearing about people saying rafa should go..absurd.  We didn"t play well at all, never winning the 2nd ball, and giving you too much space when we went 1-0 up.  Stupid foul by beni (i screamed at him to "stand up") I just knew he"d give a foul, and that you"d score.  Didn"t play well enough to win. end of.

Carpe Diem

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2009, 10:47:34 AM »

i get fed up with hearing about people saying rafa should go..absurd.  We didn"t play well at all, never winning the 2nd ball, and giving you too much space when we went 1-0 up.  Stupid foul by beni (i screamed at him to "stand up") I just knew he"d give a foul, and that you"d score.  Didn"t play well enough to win. end of.

Exactly.

Those that call radio & TV phone ins aren"t representative of the fans in general.  Which is why I never listen to 606 on 5live, or any of the phone in shows on telly.

Liverpool were dire, and we nearly won.  This is how we"ve been playing for a lot of the season - but earlier we were scoring the late goal to win - when it could have been a draw (game against Stoke at Anfield being the exception).  Now we"re managing to draw games we should be winning.  It"s the opposite of what manu have done this season.

manu are in the driving seat, but the title isn"t won or lost in January.  If you"d told me at the start of the season that we"d be level on points / three points behind manu at the top of the league - I"d have taken that in an insta. 

Gerrard has been off form for a while now (wonder goals notwithstanding), and Torres is back from a long injury (what a miss though!).

The hard work begins now, and revenge starts on Sunday :D

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2009, 18:47:17 PM »
Okay, at half time I was thinking my prediction was going to be nailed on, but Stevie G did it again, with a little help from Tim Howard, but then he did re deem himself a few times later in the game.
I only saw the high lights on ITV, I don"t have Setanta, but it looked and sounded (5 live) that we got battered, so I will settle for the draw. Can"t get to the replay cos away on business, but I will catch it in Dublin hopefully.
My prediction Everton 2 Liverpool 1.