Author Topic: Difference in standard  (Read 10169 times)

thacker

• Bronze Member
Re: Difference in standard
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 16:55:11 PM »
being able to spot weakness and rebluff is the key.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 15:38:40 PM »
Being lucky is even better.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 20:56:37 PM »
giving away my Fish status yes..but what is TAP......I understand the terms LAG (Loose aggressive) and TAG..(Tight Aggressive)..but can"t workout TAP.

Tight aggressive P. ?...it isn"t simply Play is it...lol..(that just came to me as i typed!)

Welcome to my world....I"ll be in Eastern and Southern for your info...easy double up am sure your all thinking.....lol
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 21:23:35 PM »
I"m not sure but TAP could be Tight And Passive which doesn"t exist as a recognised playing style. I think it was ironsides way of describing how poorly he lost his chips in the last comp.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 22:59:05 PM »
TAP = full of leaks?  ;D

Ironside

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 23:21:00 PM »

TAP = full of leaks?  ;D

close

Tight And Passive, and leaking chips like a TAP

Ironside

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 23:23:31 PM »

I"m not sure but TAP could be Tight And Passive which doesn"t exist as a recognised playing style. I think it was ironsides way of describing how poorly he lost his chips in the last comp.

Tight and Passive is a playing style and the type of player we all want to be facing they are the weakest players in the world

they know what makes a good starting hand but lack the agression to make the hands pay often folding to reraises with winning hands

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 21:10:44 PM »

They play the tourneys week in/week out. This means that they are used to the "big stage" and are probably less intimidated by the consequences of being knocked out (ie it won"t drastically effect their roll).

Whilst this is true it will also be the case that most pros won"t want to risk all their chips early on a coin toss. Unless they are SURE that they have the best of it by a decent percentage then they often cut their losses after a big re-raise from a "fish".
I saw this several times at the WSOP2006.

jjandellis

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2007, 16:18:03 PM »

They play the tourneys week in/week out. This means that they are used to the "big stage" and are probably less intimidated by the consequences of being knocked out (ie it won"t drastically effect their roll).

Whilst this is true it will also be the case that most pros won"t want to risk all their chips early on a coin toss. Unless they are SURE that they have the best of it by a decent percentage then they often cut their losses after a big re-raise from a "fish".
I saw this several times at the WSOP2006.

Likewise I agree with what you say in that some pro"s won"t risk chips early on in a flip. Thats how solid, consistent pro"s play the circuit...but amatuers play that way too. The ability to dodge disaster is not necessarily the big divider in class.

Also, what about the likes of Roland De Wolfe, who openly admit that they will either be heading to the rail early or a table captain from early on??? Completely playing without fear, in the knowledge that another buy in is arond the corner - AND knowing that some players sat at his table don"t want to risk their chips against him (for exactly the reasons laid out above).

A similar situation is with the Scandies, who are known to share bankrolls in fairly large syndicates.