Author Topic: GB2Loose  (Read 42155 times)

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
Re: GB2Loose
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2009, 21:18:04 PM »
I"m reading ... so interested in more I even headed onto your Facebook and Blog this morning looking for part two.

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2009, 21:27:32 PM »
Im definetely reading...where is part 2 :)

LOL Maryville I like that!
Mary Kivlin

GR8TFL0P

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2009, 21:31:51 PM »
good reading keep it going

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2009, 21:34:52 PM »
Before I go on I would like to talk about another hand which I forgot about during the first level!

Simon opened from second to act to 150, small blind called so I over peel with  9c 5c The flop comes  8h  7c  6h So I"ve flopped the second nuts. weeeeeeeeeee mbsfn! However the board is very dangerous. Before I can decide whether to lead the flop or not (I was leaning towards betting out) the sb to my surprise bets 300.

Now I knew he had something but I was fairly confident I had the best hand. I don"t think he"d lead with the nut straight here so I just flatted because:

1) Although I"m winning I"m not looking to get my chips in on this flop. Villian could have a very good combo draw and I"d have very little equity against his hand.
2) Simon may re raise us both with an overpair which will help build the pot for me and also help define the sb"s hand
3) It"s level one! let"s not go crazy just yet!

So I call and Simon folds. The turn card brings the  td Great. If I am winning my chances of getting some value from this hand might be stuffed! The sb leads once more this time for 600. Now I could raise for value here- however I"m likely only to get action from hands that tie with me and the villian will certainly shut down the river if I raise now. I"m thinking he either has a 9 too, or maybe two pair or a set. Flatting also could mean I"m on the flush draw and the villian may have to pay me off if he checks to me. Continuing with my small ball style I just call once more hoping for a safe river so I can take sb to value town

Unfortunately the ugliest card in the deck falls the  7h Puke! Now villian tank/leads for 1k. I am beating nothing on this board and only tying with a 9. I reluctantly fold my straight and later he tells me he had a boat which I fully believe!

Sometimes poker can be such an easy game. You raise with  qh  qs you get a  qd tc td and before you can think about extracting value your opponent had bet into you! Sometimes however it can be the sickest of the sickest games in the world! This APAT was beginning to have a familiar feel about it......

Back to second level 4kness. I tighten up a little bit but continue to limp in position- playing flops and trying not to get too bogged down with my stack- after all I still have 40 bigs. I managed to run my stack back up to 6k and go on break to discuss my sick hands with Kev and tuck into the "buffet" Unfortunately Kev is also on a similar stack after getting his money with 10 10 on a 9 high flop against A9 only for the turn AND the river to be an ace. However we still now there"s plenty of play left and time to rebuild our stacks. I must say- I give Kev a lot of ribbing about his game but it has improved no end over the last 12 months and his results locally have been much better than mine. However he still has the tendency to do Mike matasow blow ups with huge stacks!!!

After an early dinner I"m ready to get back in the saddle and continue small balling it up! I decided however I needed to play a little more aggressive in position. After a couple rounds of the button I"ve noticed that the gentleman to my right keeps limp/folding so I decide I"m going to try and hoover up his chips. I had Val gray and Simon on my left but they hadn"t shown any tendencies to go crazy and 3 bet so I felt that with position I could either take down the dead money or play a flop in position. So said gentleman limps in cut off- I look down at J2 and make it 750 to go. Unfortunately Val colds calls from the small and said gentleman, as predicted folds. Val then leads on an 8 high board and I fold, cursing my timing and back down to 5k. Marvelous!

Next hand a player to my 2 to my left makes it 525 to play. I look down at  :as: 9h and 3 bet to 1550 for a few reasons:

1) GTFO small ball poker
2) I sensed some weakness from said player
3) A teensy bit of tiltage

Number 2) was the main reason I 3 bet. I thought I could take control of the pot but also that Mr player was weak.

My player calls (somewhat unexpectedly) and we"re heads up to the flop. I am probably shoving most flops he checks to me, whether I hit or not so when the board comes  :3s:  6d 9h it"s a shock when he bets 2.5k! I only have about 3.5 back!

Now I start to run through his hand range. What could he have on such a dry board?

1) He could have slow played JJ-AA. I"m pretty sure that he doesn"t have QQ or JJ as my stack size would probably have meant he stuck me all in pre. However I do think he might have slow played the two best pre flop hands in poker. However if you"re going to take this line wouldn"t you check on such a dry board? Maybe if it comes down  9h 8h 5s or  qs 9s 8h your putting me but surely not this board? So I discount those. For the same reasons I discount a set.

2) Much more likely is a weaker 9 or even a draw like  8c 7c I look over at him and he really doesn"t look comfortable. Live poker FTW. I stick my chips in and when he asks how much more it is I do cartwheels (metaphorically of course) My opponent has to call the 1k or so extra and flips  9d 8d See how easy poker can be? I still get the sick sweat when the  7c comes down but a  ks on the river sees me double up to around 11k. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 21:38:24 PM by George2Loose »
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2009, 21:43:31 PM »
Nice to see joined up thought processes.  Looking forward to the rest of your story from Edinburgh George.

THEGUY84

• Silver Member
    • http://theguy84.blogspot.com/
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2009, 21:44:32 PM »
like it looking foward to the next part!
FNP,

Though I would give this blogging a shot!!
http://theguy84.blogspot.com/

AllanD23

• Silver Member
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2009, 22:23:12 PM »
I hardly ever post george but definitely reading this and going to find your blog as well...good to see (a little) inside the mind of someone with some big wins under their belt...

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2009, 10:24:48 AM »
I"m still waiting to hear about the hotel Kev booked, and how much you saved... ;)
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

jacklevel06

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2009, 17:01:59 PM »
I"m still laughing that George said he listened to some advice from me.
Mug punter on the horses since 1981

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2009, 15:03:53 PM »
Been on hols for a week- will update part 3 at some point today

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2009, 20:42:08 PM »
So tight -- but still my hero

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2010, 16:50:45 PM »
Bump. Sure did part 3 but am planning on doing a tourney report while it"s fresh in my head.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2010, 16:51:37 PM »
for Cov I mean

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2010, 17:44:52 PM »

for Cov I mean

looking forward to it already George......

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2010, 20:03:46 PM »
So where to start.

I spoke to Shelley about playing the APAT Cov as part of her birthday weekend pretty early on. I"d gone through a bit of a cold spell playing live- I tend to dip in and out of live and online poker. It"s strange really. I play either one or the other. August/September was spent grinding online. Couldn"t stand to play live. Boooooooring. Yawn! October and November cba to play online- not social enough. Boooooooooooring.

I"d also just come off the back of winning a side event and a nice trophy (brag) at the IPO. So I was keen to continue my live exploits. Not including the worlds it would be my first 75er for a while having taken a shot at the pro events which, to be honest, have been a little disappointing (I"m sure the mole will disagree with me on this one!)

Anyway Shelley was up for participating in her first APAT event. I"m really pleased she"s taken so well to poker. Not gonna dwell on it too much but after what happened just before summer I"m often finding myself travelling around alone to tourneys which just isn"t the same. Love going to tourneys with Shell whether she"s playing along too or just railing me.

So we arrive at Cov in the snow- only 30 mins down the road. Kids branched out to various family members ready to play. Everyone knows my record at APATs- ie: I don"t really have one. I just haven"t played/ran well in the ones I"ve played and today may not have been any different. In the back of my mind I"m thinking about playing the 50rebuy at DTD- at least I"d have an excuse for playing crap and bombing out early!!!