Author Topic: Two Winters and One Summer of English Cricket and Continued Adventures  (Read 117867 times)

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
Re: One Winter of English Cricket
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 21:46:11 PM »
Well, it"s getting close to boarding the Virgin Atlantic flight due to depart at 9.25 tomorrow morning.  Travelled around today and now sitting in my hotel room at Gatwick Airport, although it took about an hour and a half for them to sort out my Internet connection, dodgy modem, hope that doesn"t continue over the next few weeks !!!

So, in reflection what can we take away from the 1st Test debacle.

It certainly confirmed my prediction that the dangerman would be Jerome Taylor. The Windies haven"t had a raw strike bowler who can get batsmen out for a few years now, he appears to be the real deal and is improving all the time, he could make this series a memorable one for the Windies.

The surprise package has to be Sulieman Benn, as well as the sub-continent wicket that ended up being produced in Jamaica.  I can"t remember a West Indian spinner having such an impact and very early on in the first innings too !

The question will be can he continue, or did the Sabina Park wicket enable him to deliver.  If the pitch in Antigua doesn"t suit him will the English top 5 take to him, hopefully this will be the case.

With all the media frenzy around England"s collapse and the accusations of a team in turmoil, I"m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they had a bad day at the office and give some credit to the tremendous bowling of Taylor and Benn in the second innings.

Changes do need to be made, one of Harmison or Sidebottom will be replaced by Anderson in my opinion, probably Harmison, but this may depend on the pace and bounce in the pitch in Antigua.  Shah has to play, I thought he would be selected for the 1st Test but it wasn"t to be.  I would leave out Collingwood, bat Shah at three and move Bell down to five, Bell isn"t in the greatest of form, but it"s better than Collingwood.

So two changes for the 2nd Test, and hopefully an England win.  One thing is for sure though, with the Windies winning the first Test, the atmosphere in the grounds is now going to be superb and boy am I looking forward to that.

Hopefully I"ll be giving you an update from the Caribbean on Thursday and a round up of the first days play on Friday, with a few pictures to boot  ;D
North London Poker Club
APAT Caribbean Poker Club
APAT South African Poker Club

http://www.logieontour.co.uk

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 01:51:57 AM »
Safe trip Don.

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 02:04:52 AM »

Safe trip Don.

and im looking forward to Thursday so I can watch the cricket, and see ur first update..

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 22:43:44 PM »
Landed safely in Antigua about 6pm UK time, a fair breeze and a few showers around also.  Interesting drive to the hotel, a bit of a gridlock, just like being in London  ;D

Already tried the local brew, Wadadli, Antiguan Premium Lager, not too bad and feeling light headed already, better have something to eat.

Biggest bonus of the day, I"m in the same hotel as England.  Already shared the lift with Graeme Swann, Monty and KP.

Should be an interesting couple of days, will try and get some picture exclusives  8)

One thing to note, all Paul Collingwood seems to do is spend his time in the Gym, been in there every time I"ve walked past it !!

Will provide a bit more detail on the trip and first impressions tomorrow, off to try the curried goat.
North London Poker Club

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 22:55:38 PM »
Top stuff Don, if you"re wearing your APAT shirt, tell KP and co they"ll have to clickfest in like all the rest  :D

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 23:51:49 PM »

Top stuff Don, if you"re wearing your APAT shirt, tell KP and co they"ll have to clickfest in like all the rest  :D

;D ;D

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2009, 01:26:36 AM »
North London Poker Club

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2009, 12:44:18 PM »
Have woken up to a stiff breeze still and a sprinkling of showers, the sun is warm when it breaks through the clouds though. 

Four guys who were on the plane yesterday invited me to join them for breakfast, they"re all from Wales travelling with there club groundsman who is having his trip of a lifetime in the caribbean to watch England. Welshman supporting England is that a first, I know it"s the English and Welsh Cricket Board, but  ;D

They do seem a bit worried about missing the Rugby game at the weekend, I suggested I wasn"t due to the fact that Wales are likely to win, but you never know the power of the underdog !!

Off to enjoy some more Wadadli, hopefully some sunshine, Gerrards autobiography and some Marlboro Gold  ;D

By the way Collingwood was still in the gym when I walked past !
North London Poker Club

PokerDan1984

• Bronze Member
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2009, 14:26:25 PM »
Remind the England lads that if they"re short of a batsman that u"ll gladly smash Benn and Co. all over the park  :D ;D :D

By the way keep up the good reports and cheer on the England boys..........

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2009, 14:56:34 PM »

By the way Collingwood was still in the gym when I walked past !

Tell him to get out of the gym, and start batting and bowling practice sometime soon.. I suppose he wont be playing next game anyway so its ok..

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 19:08:44 PM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 19:10:43 PM by Logie66 »
North London Poker Club

rubertoe

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 19:23:46 PM »
I"m not in the least bit jealous - no way - not me!!!
Lifes tough, its even tougher when your stupid

North London Poker Club

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2009, 01:21:08 AM »
Witnessed a bit of poker action tonight having my dinner in the hotel restaurant.  A four handed game involving Paul Collingwood, Jimmy Andersen, Matt Prior and KP.  Matt Prior first to go out and then a few shouts of all-in and the money went to KP.

Another game starting as I left with Stuart Broad joining to make it a five handed game.

Will have to see if I can join in the action another night  ;D

Players seem relaxed, will hopefully go well tomorrow, an early start in the morning for breakfast before heading over to the ground at 8am, noon to you guys.
North London Poker Club

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »
First day looks like being a clear day with the odd wispy cloud.

Looking forward to my first experience of Test match cricket in a foreign country. Spoke to a young local guy on the beach about cricket yesterday, his interest in cricket had been diminishing but with the win in Jamaica this seems to have revitalised the local support, everyone is talking about it.

He did criticise the Windies for being a team of individuals who play for themselves, although he did say a lot of people disagreed with him.  He"s off to the cricket today and with the interest up, the atmosphere can be the only winner.

We"ll all be hoping for a good days cricket and an improved England performance.
North London Poker Club

PokerDan1984

• Bronze Member
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 15:04:02 PM »
I think u"ll be playing more poker with the England team than watching cricket looking at that pitch and out field.

Beat them on them on the tables  :D ;D