Author Topic: Two Winters and One Summer of English Cricket and Continued Adventures  (Read 117937 times)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: One Winter of English Cricket
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2009, 15:32:35 PM »
Lets hope you get to see more than 10 balls Don

In fact lets hope you got in the ground in time to see the 10 balls

Dangerous outfield??????? you have got to be kidding me!!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2009, 16:49:25 PM »
I don"t like crickeeet aah , I lurve eet!!
Hope you get some cricket tomorrow! What a shambles. Get to the old Rec ground. :-\
Different version of Beach cricket!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2009, 16:53:13 PM »
The day was looking good at one point ! The sun was out and we were on our way to the ground.  Arriving, all looked well, the Stadium actually looked impressive from the outside, even from inside there was no real telling of what was to occur.

The majority of people in the queues were from England, a couple from Wales  ;D and everyone was in good spirits and looking forward to the cricket.  The umpires walked out on time, followed by the West Indian team and the England openers, Strauss and Cook.  Jerome Taylor was opening the bowling, he kicked off from his starting point and ran through without bowling the ball, no one really thought this would be significant at this point.  So the first ball was bowled and Strauss glanced it to the legside for two runs, a good start !

Taylor completed the over and England were 5 without loss, Edwards then commenced the second over from the North Stand End, he had only bowled two balls and the heavens opened, the players ran from the field and the covers were on the wicket before the rain hit the ground, at least the umpires appeared to have pre-empted the rain and made a good decision !!!

A delay of about 40 minutes before play recommenced, Edwards ran in a few times but only delivered the ball twice, so we had seen 10 deliveries and the umpires started to talk as Edwards pulled up again on his run up.  This debate seemed to go on for about 20-25 minutes, or seemed to anyway and eventually they walked off.

Rumours were passing round the stand, the test match was abandoned, a few people were looking shocked, very embarrassing for West Indies Cricket.  No information was coming over the PA system so I went for a walk round the ground.  Managed to ask Sir Ian Botham a question when he was walking of the pitch and got this quote.

"Absolute shambles, outfield was unfit yesterday, is unfit today and won"t be fit, no more cricket will be played here" !!

Then realised it was Friday 13th, figures !!!

So, still no news, lots of rumours abound that they are trying to move the match but can"t see that myself, too much to do to make that happen.

Only one thing left for it today, the beach and a few Wadadli  ;D
North London Poker Club
APAT Caribbean Poker Club
APAT South African Poker Club

http://www.logieontour.co.uk

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2009, 17:01:45 PM »
Sky sports are saying there is no way they are going to be able to play on that ground for the next day or two or three.
So Beach, Beer and poker with the England boys? I played against Freddie when he was a teenager, he was playing for St Annes in the Northern league, I was playing for Netherfield, he didn"t get many that day,but we all knew he would go far.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2009, 18:34:24 PM »
Unlucky for the day -- not a great cricket fan myelf - but loving this blog

More pictures and name dropping please  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2009, 20:49:50 PM »
The man himself, Don "Logie66" Logan, talking at the UK Amateur Championship last weekend.

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2009, 20:54:38 PM »
A lazy afternoon on the beach, today has probably been the hottest so far and it was difficult to stay out in the sun to long !!

Recreational activities for the England team again on the beach this afternoon. Cook, Swann, KP and Collingwood out on the jet ski"s.

At the moment we don"t really know what is happening I"m trying to keep everyone up to date with my access to the Internet, but it"s pretty obvious that no one is 100% sure yet, apart from the fact that no test match will be played at the Sir Viv Richards Stadium.

One plus I nearly got my prediction right, although it was Bell dropped for Shah.  Funniest thing this morning, Monty missed the England bus and had to hop on the Windies bus to the ground from the hotel, the Windies team were pissing themselves  ;D
North London Poker Club

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2009, 20:58:30 PM »

The man himself, Don "Logie66" Logan, talking at the UK Amateur Championship last weekend.

Just missed that as I posted, many thanks for that Des  ;D
North London Poker Club

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2009, 22:05:17 PM »

Unlucky for the day -- not a great cricket fan myelf - but loving this blog

More pictures and name dropping please  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Many thanks Duke, the only comfort is that it isn"t the worst place to be when the match is abandoned after 10 balls  ;D
North London Poker Club

jacko159

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2009, 23:02:49 PM »
Very jealous Logie.

Was there five years ago when Lara got his 400.

Hope you get to see some cricket at the ARG starting Sunday.

Could be interesting watching if the reports about the state of the wicket are to be
believed !!!

J4ck0159 on Betfair

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »
Another day of leisure now, the Welsh boys are desperate to watch the Rugby and have been on a hunt to find a bar that might show it but without any luck.

From the info on the Internet it is clear that a brand new test is starting on Sunday if the Antigua Recreation Ground is ready in time, will be a bonus if we do see some cricket. If this lasts the whole five days then we will miss the final days play as we are due to be flying to Barbados on the 19th.

So unfortunately it"s another day on the beach drinking a few Wadadli  8)
North London Poker Club

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2009, 12:58:29 PM »

So unfortunately it"s another day on the beach drinking a few Wadadli  8)

Its a dirty job but someone"s got to do it. I understand that the Antigua Brewery brew Guinness in house. In the interest of science I would be grateful if you would sample this beverage and report your findings.

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2009, 19:02:31 PM »
Without the cricket it"s been another lazy day, topping up the tan on the beach with a few rum punches. Just checked up on the rugby and it seems England might have a chance of sneaking a win.  I"m only reading the text updates on the BBC so have no idea what the game is like  ;)

Completed Steven Gerrard"s autobiography today, was a good read and opened up a few insights on some of the big game experiences.  Will look to start Carraghers soon.

Will be off shortly to the bar once more as I try to track down a local Guinness for the interest of science and feedback to the Duke on the taste and quality  ;D
North London Poker Club

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2009, 19:35:26 PM »

Just checked up on the rugby and it seems England might have a chance of sneaking a win.

WRONG

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2009, 20:09:53 PM »

Just checked up on the rugby and it seems England might have a chance of sneaking a win.

WRONG

I did say a chance  ;D didn"t expect a win would have been fun to rib the Welsh guys out here !!

Anyway, I just wonder whether the test in Antigua is doomed !! This afternoon a storm has rolled in and is currently depositing rather a lot of rain, with the lack of preparation at the ARG you have to wonder that this may put paid to the start of play tomorrow, will have to wait and see !!
North London Poker Club