Author Topic: My New Topic  (Read 174924 times)

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: My New Topic
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »

Off topic, I know, but......

It"s snowing ! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »
Didn"t know this topic had a topic?

No snow in London at the mo.
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2009, 16:54:12 PM »
Aparrently this topic has a topic about the "Topic".

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Anyway, just letting everyone know that I will be munching on God"s own "Ginger Nuts" while Nottingham takes down the first APAT League game tonight.
  Deepstack champion S2  

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2012, 13:44:52 PM »
Yesterday they were having Royal stuff in work for the Jubilee. Everyone had to wear red, white or blue to work and there were quizzes and food and stuff. I entered the Jubilee poetry competition but the results haven"t been announced, so I have to sweat until Wednesday to find out whether I won.

I wrote it in good faith but, reading it back, it seems very familiar and I am a bit concerned that I may have read it (or something very similar) in the past and thought I was writing something new. If anyone has evidence that I have unwittingly plagiarised a greater poet, I would be glad to know before accepting a prize.

This is the poem:

Tea With The Queen
I went to London to visit the Queen
But she wasn't in so I went to the cinema instead.
When I got home I had some tea and sandwiches in her honour,
And a piece of cake.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 13:59:17 PM by MintTrav »
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2012, 14:31:54 PM »
Thanks John - cheered me up :)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2012, 15:35:29 PM »
Apologies to those waiting for the result. I didn"t win - can you believe it? Apparently someone from the warehouse won or, I should say, was chosen by the judges who, no doubt, are part-time poetry experts when they are not completing quality audits or implementing purchase order systems.

Strangely, the "winning" poem hasn"t been circulated. I have a suspicion that there is no poem but that it wouldn"t do to have someone from Ireland winning the Queen"s Jubilee Poetry Competition, so darker skills were employed. When I think about it, it is really the only explanation that makes sense.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2012, 22:26:42 PM »

Apologies to those waiting for the result. I didn"t win - can you believe it? Apparently someone from the warehouse won or, I should say, was chosen by the judges who, no doubt, are part-time poetry experts when they are not completing quality audits or implementing purchase order systems.

Strangely, the "winning" poem hasn"t been circulated. I have a suspicion that there is no poem but that it wouldn"t do to have someone from Ireland winning the Queen"s Jubilee Poetry Competition, so darker skills were employed. When I think about it, it is really the only explanation that makes sense.

Waiting for this result has been like waiting on an APAT new season announcement. Thanks so much John, I know your work isn"t always appreciated by everyone but you are doing a great job, keep it up. Can"t wait for further details.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2012, 02:11:35 AM »
I"ve been meaning to resurrect this thread for a while, but there never seemed to be something newsworthy to kick it off. What could be more newsworthy than the Olympics, though? I went to see The Flame on Sunday evening, which seemed fairly dull to me, but most others seemed pleased with it.

Today I popped onto the ticket site a few times. It"s really annoying, in that it tells you that tickets are available, but when you try to buy them they"re not, even though the first page still says that they are. Various events that are sold out show up again from time to time, though, and I got tickets for the men"s football final (though it doesn"t say who Brazil will be playing), women"s volleyball semi and a basketball double-header China v Brazil and Lithuania v the Dream Team. Just need the 100m final to come available now. More realistically, I"d quite like to go to the women"s boxing finals.

suzanne

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2012, 03:32:43 AM »

Yesterday they were having Royal stuff in work for the Jubilee. Everyone had to wear red, white or blue to work and there were quizzes and food and stuff. I entered the Jubilee poetry competition but the results haven"t been announced, so I have to sweat until Wednesday to find out whether I won.

I wrote it in good faith but, reading it back, it seems very familiar and I am a bit concerned that I may have read it (or something very similar) in the past and thought I was writing something new. If anyone has evidence that I have unwittingly plagiarised a greater poet, I would be glad to know before accepting a prize.

This is the poem:

Tea With The Queen
I went to London to visit the Queen
But she wasn't in so I went to the cinema instead.
When I got home I had some tea and sandwiches in her honour,
And a piece of cake.

Didnt see this before, so glad you bumped.
A work of art Mr Murray
How did you not win?
I spluttered my shandy all over the keyboard....fkin classic :)

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2012, 04:50:04 AM »

I"ve been meaning to resurrect this thread for a while, but there never seemed to be something newsworthy to kick it off. What could be more newsworthy than the Olympics, though? I went to see The Flame on Sunday evening, which seemed fairly dull to me, but most others seemed pleased with it.

I went to see the flame when it came through - it was extremely dull. But I did get a free bottle of coke - so that made it all worthwhile  :)
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2012, 22:41:34 PM »

I went to see the flame when it came through - it was extremely dull. But I did get a free bottle of coke - so that made it all worthwhile  :)

I saw the flame. it burned a bit but that was all it did.

John, this diary should really be in the blogs section.

I"m sure Paulie will move it in a minute :-)
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2012, 23:14:33 PM »
Dear John,

Whilst playing Call of Duty on my PS3 tonight, i spilt a glass of Jack Daniel"s and coke on the cream front room carpet.

Do you have any cleaning tips for the removal of said stain?

Much obliged

Stu

x
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2012, 00:08:39 AM »
Dear John.

That is all

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2012, 01:37:17 AM »

Dear John,

Whilst playing Call of Duty on my PS3 tonight, i spilt a glass of Jack Daniel"s and coke on the cream front room carpet.

Do you have any cleaning tips for the removal of said stain?

Much obliged

Stu

x

Dear Stu X

I don"t really play computer games these days, so I"m not sure I can answer your question. I definitely haven"t played the one you mention, though I used to be pretty nifty at Asteroids and a crack-shot at Breakout. Call of Duty sounds quite militaristic to me, so I wouldn"t recommend drinking at the same time. Funnily enough, I had my front room carpet cleaned yesterday. I was going to replace it as it was badly marked, but cleaning seems to have done the trick. £95 (including a large rug) rather than maybe £500 to replace. I can give you the contact details if you want to bring your carpet with you the next time you"re visiting Portsmouth.

When I was married, my ex-wife once somehow made an iron-burn on the front-room carpet, just like they do in the movies. We told the insurance people and their assessor told us that it was a Wilton or Axminster or something, which we didn"t know cos it came with the house. They valued it at £600 and sent us a cheque pronto, when we only thought we would get about £200. We didn"t really feel like throwing it out once we knew it was a decent one, so we transferred it upstairs to the main bedroom, which was over the front-room and the same size. We needed to change the carpet there anyway and the mark went under a wardrobe. I suggest you try a similar strategy. Otherwise, buy a rug.

John

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2012, 02:09:13 AM »

Didnt see this before, etc

Thanks Suzanne - I have a feeling that Rich Stevenson wrote something similar (though presumably better) at some point and I may have nicked a bit of it. Not sure. I hope that doesn"t come across differently to how I mean, cos he was obviously a class apart. Anyhow, I am proud to say that he posted on this thread.