Author Topic: My New Topic  (Read 174903 times)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: My New Topic
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »

Dear John,

With the recent interest in golf on the TV at the moment I thought I"d seek your advice on having a go at becoming a "Golf Pro".

Obviously, without really knowing my standard of play it would be unfair for you to comment so here"s a brief heads up of my golfing history:

I"ve only ever played proper golf twice, but have played pitch and putt a few times, and played crazy golf quite a bit....
However, the most important piece of knowledge you may find helpful is that I used to own a pair of golf socks, and did get a hole in one!

Eagerly awaiting your comments,

thinsy.

Dear Thinsy

I can"t recommend this. I understand that you have recently started a family, so they should be your first priority. Embarking on a golf career at this stage is likely to drive a wedge between you. Success will, too often, be dependent on the quality of your lie.

John
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »

John.Mmm...............John?   John?

Tell me John, do you still hold down your job as a shoe shiner on Police Squad?

I wouldn"t know anything about it.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2012, 00:12:12 AM »
The company I"m working at passing through is taking the Olympics seriously. The best thing is that every day is dress-down day for the duration. Each Department drew a country which we are supposed to support and has been given full-size flags and decorations for their office. There will be various competitions during the Games - table-football, hula-hoop, jenga and can"t remember the rest. Tomorrow each Department is having a meal with food from their country. That might be good if we drew some Caribbean, South American, Asian or African country or even most European. As we drew New Zealand, I guess we"ll just be having the same as every other day.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2012, 08:00:42 AM »
Dear John,

What started as a few people making a brief visit to yarm for a quiet game of poker has turned into most of APAT turning up for a triple birthday weekend piss up in October.

I am worried that we are going to break Yarm.

Any advice on how to keep things civil and organised?

Yours,

Worried in Stockton

X
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »

I LOL"d.....HARD.  ;D
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »
Dear John

I"m worried about how to beat boredom during those long live poker afternoons. I was watching the Damon Hill lookalike on my left at the ECOAP last weekend, and he seemed to have a desire to lean back and balance chips on his forehead, but clearly got it very wrong. Do you have any thoughts on how to improve the tilted forehead chip stack balance for future weekends?

Thanks

Bored of Worcestershire
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:59:01 PM by AMRN »

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »
Dear John,

I help run live poker events and at a recent team event, the winners left a lot to be desired.  I"m concerned that if the powers that be realise the quality of players that seem to be able to win one of these events, it could have a huge impact on the game of poker for the future.

It is a game of skill, but on this evidence the doubters will strengthen their case as to it all being about luck.

What should I do ?

Yours,

Concerned of Dorset

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2012, 17:56:30 PM »

Dear John,

What started as a few people making a brief visit to yarm for a quiet game of poker has turned into most of APAT turning up for a triple birthday weekend piss up in October.

Any advice on how to keep things civil and organised?

Yours,

Worried in Stockton

X

Dear Worried

I understand that the legendary England football manager Steve McClaren is from just outside Yarm. He is remembered for converting a ramshackle bunch of down-and-outs into the finest football team ever to represent England, so I suggest that you enlist his considerable man-management skills to assist in marshalling your visitors. If that doesn"t work, getting him to entertain them with anecdotes from the glory days of 2007 is guaranteed to moderate their tendency for exhuberance.

Good Luck.

John

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »

Dear John,

I help run live poker events and at a recent team event, the winners left a lot to be desired.  I"m concerned that if the powers that be realise the quality of players that seem to be able to win one of these events, it could have a huge impact on the game of poker for the future.

It is a game of skill, but on this evidence the doubters will strengthen their case as to it all being about luck.

What should I do ?

Yours,

Concerned of Dorset

Dear Concerned

In order to demonstrate that poker is a game of skill rather than luck, you just need to point to some of the winners of previous tournaments, such as Steve Redfern, Brian Yates and Stuart Ward. What better evidence could there be?

John

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2012, 21:26:08 PM »
Idiot! Just played a satellite for the WCOOP $200 + $15 Triple Stud tomorrow night. 63 players - 3 seats, with a bit of cash for 4th.

I was playing some other games at the same time on two sites and didn"t notice either of two quite important things; namely that a) we were on the final table and b) I was chip-leader. I just carried on playing as normal as if there were lots of players still in, which I thought there were. I would have slowed down and probably eased into one of the seats if I had been paying enough attention. Triple Stud (and it"s individual elements) and 2-7 are my main things online these days. Rarely play Holdem or Omaha online now unless there is a particular reason, though I do play NLHE live several nights a week. Anyway, I didn"t slow down, got involved in a couple of dodgy situations and went out. Stupid iriot, as Benny Hill used to say.

I"ll have another go at satelliting in. This is the main tournament I want to play, so I might buy in anyway if it comes to it. Might even look for staking.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2012, 23:36:31 PM »
10% please
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2012, 00:30:20 AM »
I"m in - had to go up to the $8R sat. Had a dream FT - almost didn"t want it to end. 2 seats, $55 for next 3 and $45 for 6th. It was the classic situation where I had the lead with about 25k, a few were on 12-16k and a couple had 6-8k and none of them wanted to risk getting knocked out without cashing. I was able to complete every hand and get to 35k without anyone playing back. Once we were in the cash, they should have been able to play freely, but they were all still mainly concerned with not getting knocked out rather than fighting for the other seat. By the time we were 5-handed, I had over 50k and they were all hanging in. The payout structure just gave a huge advantage to whoever hit the FT in the lead. It"s not often that games go so well.

Rob - I"ve got a seat now but, seeing as how you were willing to support me, you can still have the % if you want it. Not sure about the procedure now cos I didn"t get as far as putting up a staking thread. Maybe I should still do that. Or alternatively can arrange it off-piste if you are still interested in going ahead.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 00:42:54 AM by MintTrav »

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
Hmmmm, I"ve got a job interview at 8am tomorrow. Of course, my interest in the tournament might be ended by 10pm and I could get an early night. On the other hand, if everything went my way, I could still be playing at interview time. Most likely is the worst of both worlds, ie crashing out 2-5am for no cash and little sleep.

If anyone knows a convincing reason why I need to rearrange, I"d be very grateful.

suzanne

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2012, 23:42:07 PM »

Hmmmm, I"ve got a job interview at 8am tomorrow. Of course, my interest in the tournament might be ended by 10pm and I could get an early night. On the other hand, if everything went my way, I could still be playing at interview time. Most likely is the worst of both worlds, ie crashing out 2-5am for no cash and little sleep.

If anyone knows a convincing reason why I need to rearrange, I"d be very grateful.

Are you still in?

suzanne

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2012, 00:01:22 AM »

Are you still in?

No rub down intended, unlucky John but on the plus side you will be nice and fresh for your interview so good luck :)