Author Topic: My New Topic  (Read 176347 times)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: My New Topic
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »
I"m a bit concerned about our Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Three times recently I have heard him use the expression "110%".

That might be irrelevant from an X-Factor contestant or a footballer who probably can"t count that high anyway, but IMO it"s not good enough from the person in charge of the country"s money.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2012, 17:07:02 PM »

I"m a bit concerned about our Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Three times recently I have heard him use the expression "110%".

That might be irrelevant from an X-Factor contestant or a footballer who probably can"t count that high anyway, but IMO it"s not good enough from the person in charge of the country"s money.

Depends on the context. We would love it if GDP grew by 110%, for example.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2012, 17:25:34 PM »
Dear John,

You may be my saviour ( no pressure ).. I"m in (was) one hell of a predicament!! . I"m a easy going kind of guy, always here to help and please family and friends. Then this situation arises.. Am flicking through music channels on sky for my three year old daughter who wants to practise busting some new dance moves, no probs find a channel there she is dancing away having great fun happy days. Then after about twenty mins I look up from pc as I just bust from a tournament, only to my shock and horror that she is dancing to Jedward!!.. Ok I can cope for one song as much as it pains me   :"( the song finishes wiiiiii, only to find its a Jedward special of their top 10!! Didn"t realise they had top 10!!
So I quickly turn it over, but poor little Ava screams at me " Daddy I want Jedward back on"..
Do I "A" do the right thing and keep it on hence appeasing my princess. Or
"B" switch it over and watch Reading V Spurs appeasing myself and also keeping the horrors of Jedward away from a very impressionable three year old..
Please help for future Jedward problems yours sincerely fandango Suffolk
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2012, 18:28:56 PM »
If I may make a suggestion on this one dear John...

Carl.

Be
Burn the tv and ring sky and complain.

Yours,

Stu

X
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2012, 22:57:05 PM »
Dear John,

WHY FECKING ACES?!??! WHY?!?!??!?!?!!?!?

Yours Cooleringly,

Stu

x
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2012, 22:37:47 PM »
Today I had an email from BigPockets, who I have bought a couple of things from in the past. You can"t say they"re not honest:

Are you ready?? We have got the worst deal ever for you. We are going to ask you to spend your hard earned pounds on an Xmas Trolley of Tat!. For £14.99 [free delivery to UK mainland] we will grab five random items and send them out to you. These items are cluttering up our warehouse and we need to get rid of them. So we thought we would put five of them together and we would get someone to buy them.. That's where you come in.

Q1) Is this for real?
A) Yes we are going to sell you a "Trolley of Tat"!.

Q2) What if I get my Trolley of Tat and I don't like it.
A) Dohh. what do you expect. Thou shall not expect thy Trolley of Tat to be especially nice. If we were unloading a lot of really cool stuff, we'd call them "The Amazing Trolley of Tat," but we don't

Q3) If I don't like my Trolley of Tat can I get my money back.
A) No don't be silly, if you buy a Trolley of Tat and you don't like it you are experiencing what marketing people call buyers remorse.

Q4) What if the tat my mate buys is better than my tat.
A) Nobody said life was fair. Are you building your own barracks with your bare, broken hands in a remote Soviet Gulag? No, you're dissatisfied with a purchase you freely chose to make even though it was plainly labelled "Tat." Have some perspective.

Q5) Do I have any guarantee that the Trolley of Tat I buy will be worth more then £14.99
A) The only comment we will make is in our opinion it's worth more then a measly £14.99

Product Name:   Xmas Trolley of Tat - Standard (5 Items) - Plus Prizes
Product Code:   C-XMAS-TOT-STAN
Pack Size:   3
Condition:   Crap
Despatch Time:    Usually ships in 3 to 4 working days*
Availability:   Sold Out
Category:   Gifts - General

They are getting some more. There is also a Luxury Trolley of Tat for £49.99 (free delivery).

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »

Today I had an email from BigPockets, who I have bought a couple of things from in the past. You can"t say they"re not honest:

Are you ready?? We have got the worst deal ever for you. We are going to ask you to spend your hard earned pounds on an Xmas Trolley of Tat!. For £14.99 [free delivery to UK mainland] we will grab five random items and send them out to you. These items are cluttering up our warehouse and we need to get rid of them. So we thought we would put five of them together and we would get someone to buy them.. That's where you come in.

Q1) Is this for real?
A) Yes we are going to sell you a "Trolley of Tat"!.

Q2) What if I get my Trolley of Tat and I don't like it.
A) Dohh. what do you expect. Thou shall not expect thy Trolley of Tat to be especially nice. If we were unloading a lot of really cool stuff, we'd call them "The Amazing Trolley of Tat," but we don't

Q3) If I don't like my Trolley of Tat can I get my money back.
A) No don't be silly, if you buy a Trolley of Tat and you don't like it you are experiencing what marketing people call buyers remorse.

Q4) What if the tat my mate buys is better than my tat.
A) Nobody said life was fair. Are you building your own barracks with your bare, broken hands in a remote Soviet Gulag? No, you're dissatisfied with a purchase you freely chose to make even though it was plainly labelled "Tat." Have some perspective.

Q5) Do I have any guarantee that the Trolley of Tat I buy will be worth more then £14.99
A) The only comment we will make is in our opinion it's worth more then a measly £14.99

Product Name:   Xmas Trolley of Tat - Standard (5 Items) - Plus Prizes
Product Code:   C-XMAS-TOT-STAN
Pack Size:   3
Condition:   Crap
Despatch Time:    Usually ships in 3 to 4 working days*
Availability:   Sold Out
Category:   Gifts - General

They are getting some more. There is also a Luxury Trolley of Tat for £49.99 (free delivery).

i see a competition coming on....

get people to buy the trolley of tat for said £14.99.  / a prize then for the winner, the winner being whoever sells the contents for the most money.  sites like ebay, gumtree etc, car boots etc.

no selling to friends or family, and all sold items require proof of purchase and sold for etc.

could be fun!?
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2012, 03:14:56 AM »
Some of you will know that I play from time to time in the LivePubPokerLeague, though a lot less than I used to, and played for them in the last two APAT Forum tournaments. They are probably the most successful of the pub leagues.

Anyway, it"s congratz to Tom Brady, one of the founders of the league, who today made the final table of the IPO in Dublin, to be played in a month"s time. More than made it - he is chip-leader, with 8 left from 1148 starters.

I know most of you don"t know Tom, but there are some who do, including Matt. (But then, who doesn"t he know?)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2012, 03:03:59 AM »
I played an interesting hand in Gunwharf tonight.

I had J9.

Flop JKJ. I bet 400 and an old guy reraised to 800. Anyone else got out of the way and I called.

Turn J. I check, he goes all in for 7k. Eh? Yeah, I call. He shows 66.

"I had a full house", he said, "I thought you just had a King".

Yeah, unlucky.

Unfortunately, he had 2k left so, for the next hour, I had to listen to him and agree with him about how unlucky he had been to lose when he had a full house. I couldn"t see any reason to tell him that he was losing to a King.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 23:59:59 PM by MintTrav »

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »

I played an interesting hand in Gunwharf tonight.

I had J9.

Flop JKJ. I bet 400 and an old guy reraised to 800. Anyone else got out of the way and I called.

Turn J. I check, he goes all in for 7k. Eh? Yeah, I call. He shows 66.

"I had a full house", he said, "I thought you just had a King".

Yeah, unlucky.

Brilliant John  :D

Bearing in mind that most APATers would have to look back at their teens with a very powerful telescope, I wonder what age justifies the description "old guy" ?   :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:58:18 AM by ian.ski309 »
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2012, 01:10:24 AM »
It"s nearly Halloween, and the shops have got their Halloween stuff in - which reminds me of this time last year.

I was working on a contract for a large farming company that grew lettuce, onions and suchlike for most of the supermarket chains. For Halloween they also grew pumpkins. Pumpkins are usually orange, but they also come in several other colours, the most popular being purple, which are often called blue for some reason.

Last year, one of the major supermarket chains decided it would make a big thing about blue pumpkins and their marketing department decided that they would promote them as a new word they invented - "Blumpkins", being a combination of blue and pumpkin.

When they emailed their plans through to my company, one of the guys decided to Google the word Blumpkin in case it was a swear word in another language or something deviant in ours. It is fair to say that it was lucky he did so.

I"m not going to post a link - you can Google it yourself if you wish. A blumpkin is a combination of two activities, neither of which you could give the necessary amount of attention to and concentrate on properly, in my view.

The promotion didn"t go ahead in the intended format, there wasn"t a national scandal and everyone at the supermarket chain kept their jobs (unlike the lettuce company, which is now closed - partly my doing, but that"s another story).

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2012, 19:15:19 PM »
OMG!  :o

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2012, 14:20:44 PM »
No two ways about it - this is a brag post. I try hard not to post about my two daughters, cos they basically win at everything they do and people are not terribly interested in someone posting a string of boasts. I sometimes wonder if they are really my daughters, cos their achievements are way ahead of mine. I"m gonna do it this time, but I"ll try to restrain myself in future.

They have had a lot of their schooling in Australia. Rosie went right through at a very nice boarding school, finishing two years ago. At the same time, Rachel, who had two years left to do, got herself a music scholarship to Geelong Grammar, which is basically Australia"s equivalent of Eton, and switched to there. [Yeah, that"s right, they both finished Grade 8 music at about age 13, one sax & piano, the other clarinet & piano - what did I tell you?]. A lot of prominent people have been schooled at Geelong, including Prince Charles, Rupert Murdoch, the King of Malaysia, some Australian Prime Ministers and so on. Even if you do nothing and just pass through, it is an amazing formative experience and the contacts made are unsurpassed. But she didn"t just pass through. She is coming to the end of her time there (their academic year is opposite to ours - ie summer holidays are in December/January) and yesterday she won the Elisabeth Murdoch Award for Student of the Year out of one of the most talented groups in Australia. Just thought I"d tell you.

[For those who are not Australian, Elisabeth Murdoch (mother of Rupert) is a prominent philanthropist, whose achievements it is not worth bothering to start listing. Still going strong at 103.]

Rosie is doing okay too. She took a gap year and is currently stressing over upcoming first year exams in Medicine. Don"t think she needs to stress, though, cos last week she got 100% in something that counts for 10% of the year.

Okay, that"s it - I"ll go back to my usual level, posting about blumpkins and suchlike.

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2012, 15:25:21 PM »
Superb John!

Neve be shy about celebrating your kids achievements!

If people see it as boasting, I"d say that is more there issue rather than yours!
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2012, 20:35:40 PM »
Their Mothers Brains?
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."