Author Topic: My New Topic  (Read 174910 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: My New Topic
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2012, 20:43:45 PM »
Be proud and tell the world, those are fantastic achievments and thank you for sharing them. May their lives go from strength to strength and you continue "boasting" about it.

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2012, 21:41:24 PM »

Be proud and tell the world, those are fantastic achievments and thank you for sharing them. May their lives go from strength to strength and you continue "boasting" about it.

^^^^^^^ THIS very much so!      Awesome achievements, nice to read a post like this tbh  :-*

BTW ... when do you get the DNA results  ;D
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2012, 18:01:38 PM »
Oh, very nice nice John.... :)....always lovely to hear good news/rewards from great efforts.... :)
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »
There"s more sunshine and the temperature is warmer in the Summer, usually, and therefore there should be more evaporation. Right?

So why does it rain more in the Winter than the Summer?

You"d think it would be the other way round.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

ck1888

• Silver Member
« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
A read an article about this not long ago see if i can find it...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2012, 23:07:57 PM »

There"s more sunshine and the temperature is warmer in the Summer, usually, and therefore there should be more evaporation. Right?

I have sailed now and then and been flying light aircraft for a little while and i"m ok"ish on meteorology in northern Europe, its all to do with in the winter, the pole is under a six months night and the difference of temperature with the equator is greater, thus the depressions deeper, the wind stronger and u get more rain fall....
Us poor souls who live north of latitude 40 will get rain most in the winter, some snow :) so in short it all depends where u are latitude wise as this will mean we will get influenced by the passing depressions on the front between the polar and temperate air masses...
ck188 find that article, i"m confusing myself thinking about this, let alone trying to put it down in words...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_latitude

Pianissimo37

« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2012, 07:08:19 AM »

No two ways about it - this is a brag post. I try hard not to post about my two daughters, cos they basically win at everything they do and people are not terribly interested in someone posting a string of boasts. I sometimes wonder if they are really my daughters, cos their achievements are way ahead of mine. I"m gonna do it this time, but I"ll try to restrain myself in future.

They have had a lot of their schooling in Australia. Rosie went right through at a very nice boarding school, finishing two years ago. At the same time, Rachel, who had two years left to do, got herself a music scholarship to Geelong Grammar, which is basically Australia"s equivalent of Eton, and switched to there. [Yeah, that"s right, they both finished Grade 8 music at about age 13, one sax & piano, the other clarinet & piano - what did I tell you?]. A lot of prominent people have been schooled at Geelong, including Prince Charles, Rupert Murdoch, the King of Malaysia, some Australian Prime Ministers and so on. Even if you do nothing and just pass through, it is an amazing formative experience and the contacts made are unsurpassed. But she didn"t just pass through. She is coming to the end of her time there (their academic year is opposite to ours - ie summer holidays are in December/January) and yesterday she won the Elisabeth Murdoch Award for Student of the Year out of one of the most talented groups in Australia. Just thought I"d tell you.

[For those who are not Australian, Elisabeth Murdoch (mother of Rupert) is a prominent philanthropist, whose achievements it is not worth bothering to start listing. Still going strong at 103.]

Rosie is doing okay too. She took a gap year and is currently stressing over upcoming first year exams in Medicine. Don"t think she needs to stress, though, cos last week she got 100% in something that counts for 10% of the year.

Okay, that"s it - I"ll go back to my usual level, posting about blumpkins and suchlike.
John, how very proud you must be. Two such talented and clever daughters really is something to brag about.
It is in the genes of course.

ck1888

• Silver Member
« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »

I have sailed now and then and been flying light aircraft for a little while and i"m ok"ish on meteorology in northern Europe, its all to do with in the winter, the pole is under a six months night and the difference of temperature with the equator is greater, thus the depressions deeper, the wind stronger and u get more rain fall....
Us poor souls who live north of latitude 40 will get rain most in the winter, some snow :) so in short it all depends where u are latitude wise as this will mean we will get influenced by the passing depressions on the front between the polar and temperate air masses...
ck188 find that article, i"m confusing myself thinking about this, let alone trying to put it down in words...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_latitude

Can"t find the article but that was basically what it was saying. The rain is always there but the pressure and jet stream dictate where and when it falls. For us winter. For others it can be summer.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 16:20:04 PM by ck1888 »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2012, 18:41:01 PM »
Dear John,

Are you looking forward to getting beaten by all 3 England teams at the home international tournament?

Yours,

St George

X
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »
So higher pressure in the warmer places causes air to move to the lower pressure cooler places. I"m willing to buy that - I have noticed more wind in Winter; often wind and rain together. Although, shouldn"t there be wind in both the higher and lower pressure places?

It"s Winter in the whole Northern Hemisphere at the same time and vica versa. Even the hot bits are less hot. Does that mean the rain is constantly travelling across the Equator from the Summer Hemisphere to the Winter one and then the opposite way for the other half of the year?

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »

So higher pressure in the warmer places causes air to move to the lower pressure cooler places. I"m willing to buy that - I have noticed more wind in Winter; often wind and rain together. Although, shouldn"t there be wind in both the higher and lower pressure places?

It"s Winter in the whole Northern Hemisphere at the same time and vica versa. Even the hot bits are less hot. Does that mean the rain is constantly travelling across the Equator from the Summer Hemisphere to the Winter one and then the opposite way for the other half of the year?

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/earth/coriolis.html
;)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2012, 00:35:12 AM »
Thanks for that. The bits I understood showed wind patterns which did not seem to cross the Equator, so I still don"t understand where the rain goes in the Summer. Perhaps it is just a mystery that no-one knows the answer to.

I once spent two weeks in Trinidad from Christmas til the end of the first week of January. It rained every day quite hard from 4pm til 5pm (or maybe it was 5pm til 6pm), but not at all apart from that.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »

Dear John,

Are you looking forward to getting beaten by all 3 England teams at the home international tournament?

Yours,

St George

X

Dear St

Yes indeed, I am looking to this event. Given the record of England teams in APAT competitions, the scenario you suggest would appear unlikely. However, I would be pleased to see England do well this time.

Doing well is, of course, a relative thing. For England, this means not being last yet again. And this is where the organizers have played a blinder on your behalf. With three teams in the competition, it is already guaranteed that two England teams won"t finish bottom, so you are already ahead of your average result in previous events. Congratulations are therefore due to you for what is already England"s best result ever.

John

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2012, 15:55:10 PM »

Thanks for that. The bits I understood showed wind patterns which did not seem to cross the Equator, so I still don"t understand where the rain goes in the Summer. Perhaps it is just a mystery that no-one knows the answer to.

I once spent two weeks in Trinidad from Christmas til the end of the first week of January. It rained every day quite hard from 4pm til 5pm (or maybe it was 5pm til 6pm), but not at all apart from that.

for my limited understanding its hard to explain :) although i"m pretty sure there are plenty of scientists that know how it all knits together..
my tuppence worth of how the climate works would be the seasonal cycle is complicated  ;D
i"ll try and give it a go but forgive my grammar as i write this out quick, for starters the Earth"s axis isn"t always the same thus at different times of the year, different latitudes get the most incoming solar radiation but how a lot of the weather/climate works stems from the equator getting hit by most of the solar radiation due to the angle it hits the earth at, when the sun is overhead at the equator then the northern hemisphere gets most of the the heat then when it shifts to the tropic of cancer the southern hemisphere gets the lions share.. also having a effect is land mass, the oceans and mountain ranges also have an effect on how it all works, the earths rotation plays its part and the atmosphere [from what i know the boffins call it the inter tropical convergence zone] then all this heat spreads from the equator to either poles on the jetstreams, then the oceans play there part in spreading heat ::) god its complicated, my heads hurting lol :) oh add in clouds :) and the fact how land mass and ocean mass effects them ???  the ocean effect i refer to is far as i know is called thermohaline circulation, from what i"ve gathered the boffins aren"t 100% sure exactly how this works...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18783422

in short the sun evaporates it into a cloud and it rains again ;) BUT incoming and outgoing radiation CAN determine the temperature of the ocean surface to the air and this part isn"t always guaranteed  :"(

ask easier questions :) global warming perhaps? lol

frankieb

• Regional Captain
  • Silver Member
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2012, 17:20:28 PM »

Dear John,

Yours,

St George

X

Dear St

Yes indeed, I am looking to this event. Given the record of England teams in APAT competitions, the scenario you suggest would appear unlikely. However, I would be pleased to see England do well this time.

Doing well is, of course, a relative thing. For England, this means not being last yet again. And this is where the organizers have played a blinder on your behalf. With three teams in the competition, it is already guaranteed that two England teams won"t finish bottom, so you are already ahead of your average result in previous events. Congratulations are therefore due to you for what is already England"s best result ever.

John

Well said John. I love it.