Author Topic: My New Topic  (Read 174981 times)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: My New Topic
« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2013, 00:42:24 AM »

I"m not that funny, it seems. Yesterday the MD of this place I"m currently passing through says he needs some statistics on the factory staff. So I say "Do you want details of the staff broken down by sex and age?". Stony silence - no-one laughed. Of the four people there, one of them didn"t get it until it was explained and the others just didn"t think it was funny. They were all accountants though, so I retold the scenario to a couple in Purchasing and they didn"t think it was funny either. Must be me.

what did they want? I also don"t get, but then again I would have said what you said John and been deadly serious
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Pianissimo37

« Reply #271 on: June 08, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »

I"m not that funny, it seems. Yesterday the MD of this place I"m currently passing through says he needs some statistics on the factory staff. So I say "Do you want details of the staff broken down by sex and age?". Stony silence - no-one laughed. Of the four people there, one of them didn"t get it until it was explained and the others just didn"t think it was funny. They were all accountants though, so I retold the scenario to a couple in Purchasing and they didn"t think it was funny either. Must be me.
Actually, I don"t get it either John.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #272 on: June 08, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
I thought horses sleep standing up. Yesterday, on my way to work, I saw a horse lying on its side in a field. Two others nearby were taking no notice of it. A mile along, I saw another one lying down, with one standing nearby. And then again, the same thing. I can"t recall ever seeing a horse lying down before, and then I see three within a few minutes. Unless there is a horse epidemic of some kind in the Chichester area, I assume it is something I just hadn"t noticed before.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #273 on: June 08, 2013, 20:14:28 PM »

I thought horses sleep standing up. Yesterday, on my way to work, I saw a horse lying on its side in a field. Two others nearby were taking no notice of it. A mile along, I saw another one lying down, with one standing nearby. And then again, the same thing. I can"t recall ever seeing a horse lying down before, and then I see three within a few minutes. Unless there is a horse epidemic of some kind in the Chichester area, I assume it is something I just hadn"t noticed before.

Are you sure they weren"t London buses in disguise ;D ;D ;D
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #274 on: June 08, 2013, 21:40:42 PM »

err nope also don"t get it. doing my best to find something funny, perhaps the humour is in the delivery (which wasn"t funny either).
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

Sugar_Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #275 on: June 08, 2013, 22:01:29 PM »
Well I got it, and I would definitely be one of those broken down by age, more"s the pity
S4 G UK Team - LPM
S6 S UK Online, B Online Team Cup, Home Internationals - England "B", Irish Online
S7 G (& Bracelet) WCOAP Online
S8 G Scottish Online, B WCOAP Stud
S9 S WCOAP Team - England, B UK Team - LPM
S10 S Irish Online, England Captain - WCOAP
S13 B UK Team - APAT Degens

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #276 on: June 08, 2013, 23:55:18 PM »
If you would like to get into John"s head, then good luck - me I just laugh at the prose and hope I am laughing at the right thing...

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #277 on: June 09, 2013, 20:29:52 PM »

Are you sure they weren"t London buses in disguise ;D ;D ;D

They could have been. The worldwide web says that horses lie down every day - you learn something all the time. But then, as Richard points out, so do London buses.
There is a logical mathematical reason why three buses arrive together, Richard. I think it"s cos the ones behind have to wait for the one in front to be straightened up. Something like that, anyway.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »
So tempted to shoot over to Vegas at the weekend for next week"s Razz and Stud Hi/Lo...................

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2013, 10:38:34 AM »

So tempted to shoot over to Vegas at the weekend for next week"s Razz and Stud Hi/Lo...................

staking thread ftw

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »

They could have been. The worldwide web says that horses lie down every day - you learn something all the time. But then, as Richard points out, so do London buses.

Hardly everyday....in fact, as I recall, it"s pretty hard to roll one of those bad boys. I think there is legal requirement of something like 28 degrees from vertical.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt_test_(vehicle_safety_test)

I"ve been trying to find an article / video of the testing but it"s proving elusive.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:59:53 AM by Paulie_D »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2013, 13:17:05 PM »
A local radio station, Wave 105, is broadcast in the factory and we can hear it clearly in our office. They have quite a limited MOTR playlist which changes from time to time, a mixture of 80s and current easy listening, which is very pleasant most of the time. I"m quite content to work with Queen or Rihanna in the background. But they are driving me spare with what must be the worst song ever. Justin Timberlake has one out that is the most tuneless, awful, horrible, grating noise I have ever heard. And it has been on at least twice a day for the last month. I was just about to post this and the bloody thing has come on again.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2013, 11:28:19 AM »
A lot of people were late for work here today. The Festival of Speed is on at Goodwood this weekend, starting yesterday, which means very long traffic delays on the carriageway by Chichester. Other entertainment events tend to start a bit later in the day, but not this one. According to the website "The action on the hillclimb commences at 08:45hrs on each day of the event. Gates open at 07:00hrs, which provides a great opportunity to look around the paddocks before the action begins. Car parks are free and open at 06:30hrs". No matter what time you leave for work or to go home, you will get caught in the traffic. There is no quiet window.

The programme shows that 8.45-9.30am today is "Land Speed Record, Pioneers, Pre-War, Classic Endurance Racers, World Sports 1953-68, 911", so I can see why people who are interested in cars get there early. I have no interest, and upset a guy I was working with a couple of years ago when I mentioned that I hadn"t bothered to use some free tickets I had come by.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2013, 13:21:06 PM »
Red Arrows flying overhead for half an hour. What a waste of money. Abolish imo.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #284 on: July 12, 2013, 13:25:48 PM »
I worked as a steward at the festival of speed a few years ago. Not really interested in cars either but a brilliant day out, although not a cheap one. A beautiful part of the world.