Author Topic: Tales of the Honeybadger  (Read 356234 times)

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
Re: Tales of the Honeybadger
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2009, 14:09:31 PM »
Overall I don"t think slowing down near the bubble is the right play ... but I/you have to be happy to run out the variance of the results otherwise you just limp into the money and die ...

Six handed with 10BB - AT is a push - if you keep finding big pocket pairs in the blinds - you just have to smile or cry.

Exceptions: (perhaps) getting near the money in something massive - or if you think you have a MASSIVE edge on players.

I am happy to ponder on doing an interview when I have run real good and dedicating it to all the bad beats and bad running late on.

Tonight would be good!

I am about to take a month off the tables and enjoy the sun ... the sun does outdraw you ... not sure what the blog will become in the mean time?

More generalised reflections I suspect.

L

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2009, 22:04:02 PM »
Ace-Ten and Kings Mark VII

Betfair $66k g"tee - Played much looser than normally the case and fully paid early with AA vs QQ.

Got in with better Ace only for board to be paired - and progress halted. (Split Pot)

Tried a weird play (which nearly worked!) with J7 suited early position ... picked up draws ... but Ace on the river scared me off the move which might have got rid of TT ...

Then played AT (standard raise) ... called ...

Flop KTx

Check - Check

Turn is a blank - I check raise - and get killed by the slow playing King ... an unusual way to die ... but a fair one ...

51st of 109.

My conqueror wins the bubble ...

Month off!

Louis
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 22:29:54 PM by Honeybadg »

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2009, 20:06:14 PM »
This could be the shortest month ever!

Lured into the Betfair $20k game.

Played a qualifier - lost AA vs JJ - so suitably inspired to buy in for the full $109.

If not return : RT -$750.

Louis

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2009, 20:46:23 PM »
lol. You can,t keep away!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2009, 20:31:00 PM »

lol. You can,t keep away!

It is an interesting experience - making an effort to

a/ keep off the tables
b/ think about ways to tighten your game.

Once you start thinking, you want to try things out ... like losing with AA vs JJ!

Louis

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2009, 20:36:23 PM »
GREAT JOY TO BEHOLD!

Today was my last day at work!

7 years 1 month and 7 days and now officially on CAREER BREAK!

A few loose ends to tie but time to bask in the sun and ponder the future!

Louis

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »
Poker, poker and more poker!! :D
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »

Poker, poker and more poker!! :D

I am having a month off!

(Last night made the money in a ridiculous $5 re-buy ... something like 70th of 1141 ... for peanuts back ... I lost a classic post flop race ... top two pairs ... vs straight flush draw)

Off to the Isle of Wight tonight .. will do well to find poker there!

Louis

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2009, 10:59:31 AM »
Isle of Wight was great - clean air and sunshine and a great wedding.

Back in time to play the National League match.

Dog fight from the start - though enjoyed the battle with previous winner Calculator86.

Had a couple of chances to lose all my chips and just lost half ... so feeling good with JJ vs 77 ... with 15 players left ... but the hooks killed by the Lucky 7s.

Delayed hangover today- dentist to follow - a great start to my "freedom".

... not sure how this month off is going to work ...

RT -$761.

Louis

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2009, 13:14:38 PM »
Luck in the wrong places ...

$4.40 entrance ... $80 return is great ... but where is the KT vs QQ Vs JJ win when you really need it??

Anyway clawed back RT to -$686 ...

Maguire going well in the Snooker at 10/1 from the start.

But 2009 remains a struggle ... on the gambling/poker front.

Thinking about what to read/watch to create some edge on my game.

Perhaps I just need to buy a lucky rabbit"s foot??

L

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2009, 16:41:08 PM »
... not found a Rabbit"s foot yet ... but decent afternoon of poker ... qualifying for the Betfair $7k and $20k events tonight $30 for $169 of buy ins.

RT - $716 ahead of tonight ... time to take one of these down.

Dentist took the view no jags required  ... not sure I agreed to that ... searing acute pain ... but job done and not slobbering all over the place now ... so fair enough.

Watching Cope play Higgins at snooker ... now 12-10 ... not convinced either of these can win it.

L

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2009, 21:30:47 PM »
$7k g"tee ... got going with QQ making top set ... but little happening so I choose to race with TT vs AQ ... a race I know but disappointing to lose to the bottom straight on the river!

$20k g"tee still running ... 65th of 92 with 18 paid ... pretty card dead and left in trouble when cleverly bluffed off two pairs ... all kinds of draws on the board ... could have committed on the flop but versus three other players ...

Just came back to life with KJ vs AJ ... another double up gets me to the top third ... more luck in running required ...

Showing some promise on the luck front with A8 Vs AK in the blinds spiking on the river ... 32nd of 85.

Running pretty good until "forced" to call a short stack with 22 ... unfortunately not a race ... (JJ) ... still 21st of 44 at second break.

12th of 22 after three hours ... JJ vs AJ ... and JJ vs AA!

... and finally 4th ... for $1600 ...

Very lucky up to 4th ... TT vs QQ vs JJ on the final table ... hit on the river ... but then pretty card dead ... until AK flops K77 ...at this stage I was one of two dominate stacks ... so when I bet out and my chip lead rival pot raises ... I smell the 7 ... and fold ... in the break he says he had it ... I have see those moves both ways ... when you call and see the 7 it is heart break ... as it stood I had a very good chance for heads up ...

This was rather reversed by a short stack spiking A8 vs AK ... getting things back to 4 level ish stacks ... before the deck went cold. My chance to g"tee third came and went with my AT was cracked by the short stacked Q8 ... next hand my Q8 is double called ... I flop two pairs ... but lose to a straight on the river.

Weird to have a lot of luck when it mattered ... at one stage was down to 678 chips ... re-assess poker thoughts in the morning!

$21 to $1600 ... very pleasing ...

RT + $884

L
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:58:22 AM by Honeybadg »

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
Nice to be sitting on a train with some virtual cash in my pocket ... but weird to need so much luck to get there ...

I woud much prefer to win with the better cards but it doesn"t seem to be that way at the moment ...

1.30am ... TT spike on the river to beat JJ and QQ pretty big celebration ... maybe not good for the neighbours ...

A bit disappointing not to make the podium given the circumstances ...

What now? Pleasing to have got back into the black.

Do I go aggressive? Do I just take a month off anyway? I have friends up for two weekends soon so that creates a space from the tables. If we get a summer then I am going to be out and about.

Do I continue my quest for the sickest beat ever?

In terms of ambitions on the table one of the things I want to do is play on TV ... that is something to research.

Louis

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »
nice score!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2009, 10:17:49 AM »

nice score!!

Cheers mate - nice to be a little back on track - though I would love to Iron all this varaince out overall - all pretty savage both ways.

Final table TT vs JJ vs QQ ... Showbiz for me ... but horrendous on the other side ... especially on the river ... QQ holder lost to me JJ vs AA too ... Came 5th ... would have been very likely winner ...

L