Author Topic: APAT Central Division, Round 9  (Read 19095 times)

mattisks

Re: APAT Central Division, Round 9
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 17:50:03 PM »

You,ve got to play your strong hands strong, and hope that your team mates realise it and get out of the way!!

seems like everything was fine then :-) But your "Thank You Team Mate" seemed bit angry to me at that moment  ::)

7s :2h:

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 18:57:06 PM »
Nah, only jesting. You have to play for yourself first and the team second, well thats the official line anyway! ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 08:22:17 AM »

Nah, only jesting. You have to play for yourself first and the team second, well thats the official line anyway! ;)

It's a CLUB league so it should be Team first Individual second

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 09:34:35 AM »
That is very tricky in poker Wayne. I have played team sport all my life, particularly rugby, football and cricket. Now when I get 5 wickets and fifty in the same game but lose I have done the best for me and the team, but if the team lose then I am gutted, but I am playing against the OPPOSITION. In poker it is weird, we want Leeds to win and we want our team mates to do well, but there we are sat at the table playing against our TEAMMATES !! So what do we do we have to play strong otherwise we are accused of playing soft?!
I don"t know how others are playing these games, but I am always aware who my team mates are, and where as i wont play them soft, I may not go to war against them with a marginal hand, as I say tricky. But it seema to be working cos we are "top top top top top o the league"  :D

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 12:30:06 PM »
Mike, would you deliberately run a team mate out? No. So would you be in a HU pot were you can knock one of your team mates out? It's not soft play it's just knowing who your club members are.

That's why I came over the top with the Queens this week; I did not want to play against you. If it were just a normal MTT I would have played the hand differently. Same with the Aces against Kevin, just that he did not know what I was doing. But he played against a team mate HU when they were no need to do so.    

Take the match where you won.  The only way that Leeds was going to win was to knock one of the B'ham players out. I got my chips in against one of them which you also came into the pot knowing that if you won the pot then I would be out giving the win to B'ham, did you realise this at the time?

When we have qualified with 5 games left then we can have some fun  ;D  

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »
So..... you find yourself in a spot on the final table in week 20 where you cannot afford to knock out your team mate.... if you do knock him out, you lose the league and fail to qualify for the final. Your team mate raises all in preflop - everyone folds to you in the big blind, and you have AA.     If you do call and win the hand, you lose the league. If you fold the nuts it is soft play (and according to standard poker rules, would be cheating - but who would know?!). So.... would ya call?

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 13:11:01 PM »
In the one I won, I have to admit, I wasn"t 100% sure how the points system worked re the team situation, and if I had have realised the situation then I probably would have played the hand differently. All you can do is be aware of who your team mates are and how they play when playing against team mates, and adjust your game accordingly. I still think it is not clear cut, but I will always support the team, the aim is to make sure Leeds finish top.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 13:13:58 PM »
i think it is very difficult to play as a team without doing something unethical. I do try to avoid bad spots vs team mates if possible and may not trap etc that i may do against others - just think you need to be careful.

I don"t think its that important in early stages but of course in last 20 it may become a factor.

I think if you do the best for yourself then you are doing your team a favour. Also remember individual points are important.

just my 2p
Looking forward to making my first day 2

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 13:30:26 PM »

So..... you find yourself in a spot on the final table in week 20 where you cannot afford to knock out your team mate.... if you do knock him out, you lose the league and fail to qualify for the final. Your team mate raises all in preflop - everyone folds to you in the big blind, and you have AA.     If you do call and win the hand, you lose the league. If you fold the nuts it is soft play (and according to standard poker rules, would be cheating - but who would know?!). So.... would ya call?

I have folded aces several times when on the bubble of a MTT or in an satellite. Is this soft play?

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 15:29:30 PM »

I have folded aces several times when on the bubble of a MTT or in an satellite. Is this soft play?

No of course it isn"t - that"s about self preservation (the "self" bit being the important bit). In the scenario I outlined, self preservation isn"t the consideration - it"s team consideration. Perhaps if I had said that the team memeber who shoved was the short stack, and you had the monster chip lead with your AA..... would you fold?

mattisks

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 04:27:12 AM »
interesting discussion :-)

I felt sometimes bad in tournament.. I did some moves against my team mates but the problem was.. The only playable hands I got just when they were in.. (blinds or hand) For whatever it is I feel important for a team when I remain ALIVE trying to break through to the final table. So I have to keep in mind to have healthy stack.. In this sense I"ve failed anyway near the "bubble" and those chips I have "stealt" from my team mates might have been of any use for them.

But should"ve I know how I am goin to finish at the moment of "steal"?  ???

Anyway. Today is ours! We"re goin to win AGAIN! Go Leeds!

7s :2h:

mattisks

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2009, 00:34:20 AM »
aaah. Found out. We play in a week xD Didn"t know its bi-weekly thing.. Tho I am glad I will have to wait one week more. Finished 6th today in freeroll so I will have some bullets for league  8)

Tho I am still not happy with my game even tho to get to 6th didn"t take any luck. I got lucky once there and then picked one unlucky spot but.. I think I shoulda play better some hands based on my read.. Let"s hope I will get sixth next week behind 5 Leeds boys  ;D

:3d: :3c:

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 12:05:48 PM »
Yes Martin it's every two weeks. Did you not get an email to remind you?

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:47 AM »
siiiigghhh - can"t make the next one either  >:(
Looking forward to making my first day 2