Author Topic: European Amateur Poker Festival - November 2009  (Read 102560 times)

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
Re: European Amateur Poker Festival - November 2009
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:34 AM »

We advertised for Captains some weeks ago, the post should be below this one on the team board.  APAT selected Captains from those showing an interest.

As stated above, the Captains will choose their teams, based on ability.  Some may refer to this year"s rankings, or last, and some may select players based on specific events or strengths in Sit "N" G or Heads Up play.  I guess we"ll find out as players are selected throughout the Autumn.

I expect a more objective selection method might be preferable.

Louis

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 11:03:04 AM »

We advertised for Captains some weeks ago, the post should be below this one on the team board.  APAT selected Captains from those showing an interest.

As stated above, the Captains will choose their teams, based on ability.  Some may refer to this year"s rankings, or last, and some may select players based on specific events or strengths in Sit "N" G or Heads Up play.  I guess we"ll find out as players are selected throughout the Autumn.

I expect a more objective selection method might be preferable.

Louis

Go on then, suggest an objective selection method.  I"m sure all the captains would appreciate any suggestions.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 11:10:42 AM »
[ ] Has the player any final table experience ? ( Sit "n" Go skills )

[ ] Has the player won any tournaments ? ( Heads Up skills )

[ ] Does the player speak multiple European languages ? ( Listening in to tactics skills )

[ ] Has the player any drinking experience ? ( Keeping up with the Scots and Irish skills )

[ ] Does the player know any patriotic songs to sing ? ( Winners youtube clip skills )

[ ] Does the player have the ability to play 64os and win ? ( Captain Kinboshi skills )

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 18:33:26 PM »

[ ] Will the bear be selected to play for Wales this year ?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 18:42:40 PM by HaworthBantam »

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 19:12:18 PM »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 19:20:06 PM »
Can"t speak for anyone else but I saw no MAJOR advertisement for Captains. The MAJOR advertisement on the homepage has only appeared now that the Captains have been chosen.
  Therefore, the Captains will choose the players they know, or "friends" to put it another way.....IMO.
Why are the teams not chosen using rankings etc ??
Maybe that would be too obvious and then the "wrong" names would crop up ??
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 19:25:49 PM »

........Therefore, the Captains will choose the players they know, or "friends" to put it another way.....IMO.....

This didn"t happen last year, so why assume that it will this year ?

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 19:37:38 PM »

Can"t speak for anyone else but I saw no MAJOR advertisement for Captains. The MAJOR advertisement on the homepage has only appeared now that the Captains have been chosen.
  Therefore, the Captains will choose the players they know, or "friends" to put it another way.....IMO.
Why are the teams not chosen using rankings etc ??
Maybe that would be too obvious and then the "wrong" names would crop up ??

All you had to do is read the forum and you would have seen the advert for the captains

and I think you"re underestimating people"s competitive spirit if you think any captain won"t choose the players who they think are most likely to win.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

rubertoe

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 19:39:12 PM »
This is gonna be a contentious Subject!!!

Just so Captains know, i am eligible to play for England, Scotland and Ireland. and 64os is always a favourite hand after a few beers!!! ;D ;D
Lifes tough, its even tougher when your stupid

North London Poker Club

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 19:40:43 PM »

........Therefore, the Captains will choose the players they know, or "friends" to put it another way.....IMO.....

This didn"t happen last year, so why assume that it will this year ?

I think that at the margin Captains will pick people that they know.

Criteria could be a combination of APAT "live" events + Online Championships+Online League.

Formula to suit ... I might weight "live" events higher as it will be played "live".

Given the number of English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh players how in earth do you select otherwise?

As a more general thought - a more generally open team event (not based on nationality) would be very interesting.

Louis

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 19:47:45 PM »

Teams last year were pretty much picked based on APAT rankings, results in other tournaments and format experience (heads up etc).

From the list of captains already picked, I see no reason to question their integrity, or judgement, when it comes to picking their team members.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 20:01:59 PM »

I see no reason to question their integrity, or judgement, when it comes to picking their team members.

Neither do I, and to imply otherwise is a little naughty. Last year it took ages to secure the teams as they deliberated long and hard in order to get the best team to represent their country. And in my honest opinion it worked very well.

n.b. Although domiciled in England I am available for the Irish drinking team  ;D ;D ;D

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 20:04:01 PM »

n.b. Although domiciled in England I am available for the Irish drinking team  ;D ;D ;D

You"ll still lose to the mighty Scots, Ger  ;D  ;D  ;D

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 20:13:02 PM »

You"ll still lose to the mighty Scots, Ger  ;D  ;D  ;D

A challenge -- I love a challenge -- bottles at sunrise Ian

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 20:58:07 PM »
I"m quite frankly bemused at the fuss that seems to be made here.

I think some of the selections last year by the captains were IMO a bit dubious, but this was only on the basis that they had hardly played in any APAT events that year. To suggest that the captains weren"t picking the best team available and were picking "mates" is quite frankly, laughable.

The captains have to pick a team based on a number of factors and to do this purely by formula would be folly and would of course make the captains spot redundant. Could you imagine Capello dropping Gerrard for Carrick because Carrick had better Opta Stats?

As for the selection of the captains, then this year has been much fairer than last years as people last year were invited to be captains, whereas people this year have been invited to throw their hat in first. This has been on the forum for weeks now and if people haven"t looked at the forum, or spotted it then that is no ones fault other than their own.

England FTW!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D