Author Topic: News: Annette wins WSOPE - World Series of Poker Europe  (Read 4698 times)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
News: Annette wins WSOPE - World Series of Poker Europe
« on: September 17, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
Annette wins WSOPE - World Series of Poker Europe

18-year-old Annette Obrestad wins World Series of Poker Europe Main Event and £1 million

http://www.pokerplayermagazine.co.uk/pokerlife/pokernews/2792/world_series_of_poker_europe.html

Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

yousefian

Re: News: Annette wins WSOPE - World Series of Poker Europe
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 14:28:46 PM »
i followed my good friend john taba sine thursday and last night john was so unluky not to win the bracelet. He one of the most aggressive players in that tournament, and ran alll over the final table. Even gus hansen told me that he got outplayed by him and called him super-agressive. Thats some feat. In the end anette got the win, but she was very lucky in my eyes. When they were down to three, she got in all in with qj against john"s jj. She spiked a q on the river. And quite often she got a her money in bad. where john rarely did.but hey thats pokerr. but we all know deep down that john was the best player there, and i"m sure we"ll see him up there again soon.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 19:54:08 PM »
I"d say that Annette is one of the best tournament players in the world, even at the age of 18. 

Everyone needs a bit of luck at the crucial times to win a tournament - you saying that John didn"t have any to reach the final table?

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 21:02:13 PM »

i followed my good friend john taba...

Do you think you might be a little biased

...john was so unluky not to win the bracelet...

It is almost impossible for someone to be unlucky not to win (unless it comes down to a handful of HU hands at least).

People have to be lucky to win, not unlucky not to win.

...He one of the most aggressive players in that tournament, and ran alll over the final table...

There"s more to playing well than just being aggressive. The fact that Annette is known for being aggressive, yet took her time in this final, perhaps shows that a bit more judgement and a bit less aggression was what was needed to succeed?

Can"t be bothered with the rest - that"ll do.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 21:57:53 PM »
:)

I couldn"t help myself. I had to check whether my intuition was backed up by statistical evidence.

So I checked the live reporting and found:

In the HU John got lucky 3 times, Annette got lucky 3 times. When and how it happenned is how small the difference between winning and losing is.

(As a side note,on the final table before the HU John had 7 "lucky" hands to Annette"s 3 - so the "very lucky" argument doesn"t quite stack up any way you cut it)
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 23:32:18 PM »
I interpret "unlucky" in this sense as "so near, yet so far". 

To play for several days, beat (and school) some of the best in the world and still miss out by a nano, is unlucky - although I would prefer to call it a fantastic achievement. 

And of course, the achievement of doing this as a relative unknown and at 22, will be lost in the reporting of Annette"s unbelievable performance. 

Still, we do have high expectations of APAT members, and John has been one of us for nearly a year.  

yousefian

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 23:54:10 PM »
of course i"m biased, and i do agree anette was awesome. but deep down, including most of people there that week will tell you that john played the best poker and derserved it more. Hence many of pros including marcel luske, gus hansen,todd bronson and jamie gold were all there rooting for john. I watched the action since thursday and saw how lucky anette was. Course john got lucky a couple of times, but my point is John deserved it more and 80% of people there believed that too. Hopefully when it comes to screens, it will show a fair reprensentation of how well he played. You know how production companies can manipulate things. e.g jamie gold this year at wsop. every hand was his worst hand. I can tell you know the battle on the final table should be a good one, as the guy from the poket cam said he couldnt believe the junk the both of them were playing. It must of been brilliant to see, cant wait to watch it on t.v

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 09:27:19 AM »

I interpret "unlucky" in this sense as "so near, yet so far". 

I have a more statistical idea of luck :)

Not to belittle John"s achievement, it was the concept that Annette got "very lucky" to win that I objected to.

I have no links to either player, I was just basing my judgement on what I saw reported in the live updates.

Great achievements all round.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 10:15:59 AM »
Absolutely.  To come first or second in a tournament like this is brilliant.  Luck is in involved, but it takes more than that.  Both have a great poker future ahead of them (or they could both stop playing now and be happy - but at their ages, I sincerely doubt they"ll be hanging up the gloves).

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:48:28 AM »

Absolutely.  To come first or second in a tournament like this is brilliant.  Luck is in involved, but it takes more than that.  Both have a great poker future ahead of them (or they could both stop playing now and be happy - but at their ages, I sincerely doubt they"ll be hanging up the gloves).

What is the correct phrase for retiring from poker?

You could say "hanging up the sunnies", or

"hanging up the rod" in my case
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 12:46:10 PM »

What is the correct phrase for retiring from poker?

You could say "hanging up the sunnies", or

"hanging up the rod" in my case
[/quote]
"Folding Forever"
"All-in for the last time"
"Cashing Out"..is surely the best
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”