Author Topic: 99  (Read 10165 times)

mal666

• Gold Member
Re: 99
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 00:51:07 AM »

Dunno about the levels but in most sngs I play you usually will get it heads up in this spot or take the blinds which isn"t bad with a hand like 99

I doubt you play many $5-$20 Sngs..... and that was the subject of the OP.     At least 2 callers most of the time, followed by more spewage on the flop when we c-bet/fold.

I really dont agree with this, ime L1

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 11:10:44 AM »
Why fold to a raise........ thats when u wanna set..pref to someones o/pair.... that is HOW you get paid and will provide all the implies odds you need !!! if you miss, u lose say 5% of your stack whici is pretty meaningless at this early stage....
really depends on the buyin/site too......
i had an allin preflop in a $12 game last night called by 4/9 players on table... I had QQ,  initial raiser had kq, 2 callers pre had a2 suited and j 9 suited....... and no i didnt win :) makes you think tho.....

I would still raise as level 1 its still relativley cheap- if you get reraised you can fold comfortable in the knowledge your beat

trouble is you"re almost always gonna get a call cos it"s cheap, then you have to play the flop oop with a marginal hand.

i would limp and set mine, or fold pre to any raise unless multiple callers to give some implied value

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 14:47:00 PM »
Damn fine question with some very interesting and varied answers. Which is good or we"d all be transparent.
Think I"m limping in here at this stage etc.
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 17:16:48 PM »

Why fold to a raise........ thats when u wanna set..pref to someones o/pair.... that is HOW you get paid and will provide all the implies odds you need !!! if you miss, u lose say 5% of your stack whici is pretty meaningless at this early stage....
really depends on the buyin/site too......
i had an allin preflop in a $12 game last night called by 4/9 players on table... I had QQ,  initial raiser had kq, 2 callers pre had a2 suited and j 9 suited....... and no i didnt win :) makes you think tho.....

I would still raise as level 1 its still relativley cheap- if you get reraised you can fold comfortable in the knowledge your beat

trouble is you"re almost always gonna get a call cos it"s cheap, then you have to play the flop oop with a marginal hand.

i would limp and set mine, or fold pre to any raise unless multiple callers to give some implied value

In a sit and go I"d fold 99 1st level to a re raise
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 20:09:41 PM »
Totally correct, there is no price to set mine here! Raising 99 L1 is spewy alone but i dont mind it from s1 or s2 as most peeps will give respect and pass. So making it 90 L1 S1/S2

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 20:16:22 PM »

Totally correct, there is no price to set mine here! Raising 99 L1 is spewy alone but i dont mind it from s1 or s2 as most peeps will give respect and pass. So making it 90 L1 S1/S2

early doors is where you get the best price to set mine... the implied odds if you hit your set are huge.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 20:50:47 PM »
would be interesting posting this on blonde seeing what longy/tank say. Pretty sure they fold to a rr with 99 l1 or 2
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »

would be interesting posting this on blonde seeing what longy/tank say. Pretty sure they fold to a rr with 99 l1 or 2

I never finished my post but this is exactly what i was saying. Basically your going to end up with 270$ in pre @ L1 out of a 1500$ stack, this is a huge mistake.
(The multi tabling nit regs would just pass this pre)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 11:12:13 AM »
This very hand last night in a $5 SNG, UG I raised to 4 x BB, my thinking fairly similar to Steves is that I am hoping to get rid of the junk hands, and am aware that I will get called by good aces and other pairs, and hopefully not re raised! As it happened I had two callers and flopped a set on a low board, I checked the flop as did the 2 callers turn was a K and am now hoping it has hit someone so check again, bet and two callers happy days, river Ace, I bet the pot, one fold and the button calls and flips AK.
So big pot early on and sets me up for the tournament (finished 2nd) . I know the button played it horribly, well he did IMO, but when you hit your set....
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 15:39:48 PM »

I never finished my post but this is exactly what i was saying. Basically your going to end up with 270$ in pre @ L1 out of a 1500$ stack, this is a huge mistake.
(The multi tabling nit regs would just pass this pre)

which is exactly the reason why i said I would limp rather than open-raise with this hand in this spot in this tourney in this level!!!  QED limp is best in this spot - if someone makes standard raise after you, it costs only 60 or 80 to see the flop, and the implied odds are good.