Author Topic: APAT Season Four - Pre Launch Discussion  (Read 204654 times)

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
Re: APAT Season Four - Pre Launch Discussion
« Reply #720 on: March 02, 2010, 21:54:13 PM »

I wonder if the winner of the first "Pro" Event will have a rapid rise to obscurity as the winner of the first "amateur" event did?

I really can"t understand any opposition to this being added to the tour as to me it makes perfect sense.  Poker has grown rapidly in the UK in the past 4 years and so has the skill set out there.  APAT cannot continue to cater for the newbies it has to move with the skill set that is growing out there.  Hopefully the winning players have grown their bankrolls and in doing so no longer find it worthwhile to make an 8 hour round trip for a £75 tourney but this addition makes it something worth thinking about.

I"m sure Des and co will not be worried about the initial numbers as there is the bigger picture to consider and I"m confident it will gather steam after each event is promoted but in saying that I"m also sure Swansea will see a surge in players nearer the time (even the GG are currently considering it  ;)) and it will be a successful event.  The numbers game will always be difficult to balance but you can only please some of the people some of the time.

One thing APAT/Betfair might want to consider is running more than one satellite to the event (if it doesn"t sell out) as the first only generated one seat (and that fish couldn"t make it).  Or running more steps in the lead up to the $50 sat for those who dont want to pay $50 for a sat, or even a rebuy.  I also think the sats for this should be PL (maybe it was I dunno I missed it!)

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

WASP

• Silver Member
« Reply #721 on: March 02, 2010, 22:38:07 PM »

I wonder if the winner of the first "Pro" Event will have a rapid rise to obscurity as the winner of the first "amateur" event did?

I really can"t understand any opposition to this being added to the tour as to me it makes perfect sense.  Poker has grown rapidly in the UK in the past 4 years and so has the skill set out there.  APAT cannot continue to cater for the newbies it has to move with the skill set that is growing out there.  Hopefully the winning players have grown their bankrolls and in doing so no longer find it worthwhile to make an 8 hour round trip for a £75 tourney but this addition makes it something worth thinking about.

I"m sure Des and co will not be worried about the initial numbers as there is the bigger picture to consider and I"m confident it will gather steam after each event is promoted but in saying that I"m also sure Swansea will see a surge in players nearer the time (even the GG are currently considering it  ;)) and it will be a successful event.  The numbers game will always be difficult to balance but you can only please some of the people some of the time.

One thing APAT/Betfair might want to consider is running more than one satellite to the event (if it doesn"t sell out) as the first only generated one seat (and that fish couldn"t make it).  Or running more steps in the lead up to the $50 sat for those who dont want to pay $50 for a sat, or even a rebuy.  I also think the sats for this should be PL (maybe it was I dunno I missed it!)

There is probably some maturity in that post somewhere.

However, I"m not the type to have futile debates on forums, forums for me are all about sharing opinions and maybe respecting some opinions you may not agree with yourself.

GL sir
Rear of the year 1991
Pipe smoker of the year 1998

gomarrrahh

• Bronze Member
« Reply #722 on: March 03, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
To add a slight differnt angle of this discussion of the Pro League, my opinion is this:

Having secured a seat for the event with the luxury of not having to pay an otherwise out of my price range buyin, I"m a little sceptical about the event. The reason for this is due to the more concerned views towards the event than positive ones. It seems so far that apaters aren"t too keen on the tournament and whether this is because of the higher buyin or the fact its taking seats away from the standard and very much loved amateur 2day event, its still receiving some hostility.

From my point of view, (in having a seat) I"m worried that the turnout will be low and therefore it questions whether its worth taking my place and opting out of playing in the amateur event. In the hope of cashing in a tournament that weekend, I wonder what would be potentially more rewarding based on the buyin X number of runners in each event.
APAT WCOAP Heads Up Champion 2011
APAT UK Final Tablist 2011
APAT Welsh Online Omaha Champion 2010
APAT Season 4 - Five Time Omaha Final Tablist

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #723 on: March 03, 2010, 12:05:58 PM »

To add a slight differnt angle of this discussion of the Pro League, my opinion is this:

Having secured a seat for the event with the luxury of not having to pay an otherwise out of my price range buyin, I"m a little sceptical about the event. The reason for this is due to the more concerned views towards the event than positive ones. It seems so far that apaters aren"t too keen on the tournament and whether this is because of the higher buyin or the fact its taking seats away from the standard and very much loved amateur 2day event, its still receiving some hostility.

From my point of view, (in having a seat) I"m worried that the turnout will be low and therefore it questions whether its worth taking my place and opting out of playing in the amateur event. In the hope of cashing in a tournament that weekend, I wonder what would be potentially more rewarding based on the buyin X number of runners in each event.

Blatent brag post IMO  ;) x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #724 on: March 03, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »

However, I"m not the type to have futile debates on forums, forums for me are all about sharing opinions and maybe respecting some opinions you may not agree with yourself.

GL sir

I was just glad of the fact that you managed to actually shock Rio into speechlessness, rather than have to read a big long post of analysis from him

I think he may have been suggesting that the idea of the Amateur Poker Association and Tour not catering for new players may be an unusual one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you"re right that the idea of the Pro tour will take off and the numbers will grow.

Playing around with the buy in or adding a rebuy might show that there"s demand for a different type of satellite but running more of the same satellites seems a bit pointless when the first one only generated one seat; it suggests that their just isn"t the demand for it yet.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

gomarrrahh

• Bronze Member
« Reply #725 on: March 03, 2010, 16:25:09 PM »

Blatent brag post IMO  ;) x

damn phil, how did you know  ;D
no just thought as someone with a seat in the tourney as opposed to someone debating on whether to buyin, my point of view regarding my interest in playing in a tourney where there mite not be a great deal of runners vs a full turnout for a tried and tested successful main event.

im gonna check lobby for number of entrants so far. mite not be that many people to try beating  :P hehe
APAT WCOAP Heads Up Champion 2011
APAT UK Final Tablist 2011
APAT Welsh Online Omaha Champion 2010
APAT Season 4 - Five Time Omaha Final Tablist

WASP

• Silver Member
« Reply #726 on: March 04, 2010, 22:46:40 PM »

GL sir

I was just glad of the fact that you managed to actually shock Rio into speechlessness, rather than have to read a big long post of analysis from him

I think he may have been suggesting that the idea of the Amateur Poker Association and Tour not catering for new players may be an unusual one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you"re right that the idea of the Pro tour will take off and the numbers will grow.

Playing around with the buy in or adding a rebuy might show that there"s demand for a different type of satellite but running more of the same satellites seems a bit pointless when the first one only generated one seat; it suggests that their just isn"t the demand for it yet.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 17:32:03 PM by WASP »
Rear of the year 1991
Pipe smoker of the year 1998

bigalhx3

• Gold Member
  • apat 7 card stud world champion & scott champ
« Reply #727 on: March 07, 2010, 13:58:55 PM »
from what i hear there are many players planing on going to the pro event and with the local welsh players the comp will sell out