Author Topic: David Haye  (Read 2169 times)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
David Haye
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:34:51 PM »
What a performance by Haye! So discliplined, so focused, so fast, so strong, so fit. Fought such an intelligent fight, changing his style to avoid Valuev"s uppercuts and clinches. Quite an exciting fight in a boring kind of way, in that although there weren"t that many hits, each one was significant and the latent danger meant Haye had to maintain concentration the whole time, which he did. The commentators were watching a different fight to me - Haye won by a mile imo. Always said he would win. By the end of the 2nd it was clear he had Valuev"s measure & I was telling everyone that the knockout was possible. Don"t usually bet on sports but I"m sorry I didn"t bet the Haye/Cotto double I intended.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: David Haye
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:44:23 PM »
Thought it was excellent. Only bought it for the "circus" factor of the Giant vs Boxer.

Throughout the fight, there was always the sense that it was one punch away from a knockout finish - Haye had to stay right on the edge and completely focussed - if he had been caught by one decent 22 stone punch, it was all over. He outboxed the champ, and made him look like nothing more than the blundering ogre from a kids fairy tale.

I have to say though that I was surprised by the 4 point gap on two scorecards - when the first card was delivered as a draw, I had a feeling we might have had a split decision from the other two. So many judges score aggression ahead of landed punches... and it could be said that Valuev was the more aggressive as he was the one constantly moving forward.... however as the commentator said, plodding forward and hitting air isn"t really aggression.  Haye controlled the fight from start to finish, and I"m glad Valuev didn"t get a "homey" result.

Big up to Haye - excellent night.

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
Re: David Haye
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 13:47:35 PM »
Great work considering he bust his hand in round 2 ...

Betting was very interesting - started the night pretty Even money the pair.

Going into round 12:

Valuev 1.31
Haye c3.25

After the fight - just about Even money the pair - yet he won it by 4 rounds.

L