Author Topic: FA (FishAholics Anonymous)  (Read 13188 times)

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: FA (FishAholics Anonymous)
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 19:38:48 PM »

Question:
I have just finished Volume 1 of Harrington on Hold-em, as advised earlier in this post.  I can"t remember who advised it, but thank you to that person!
I feel that i have learnt a lot, just by reading it!  I do want to read to again at some point though.  My question is; Should i re-read volume 1 now or move on to volume 2?
As another option, The poker mindset should, i"m told by Amazon, arrive tomorrow.  I could wait for that and start that tomorrow evening.

So far my poker rebirth seems to be going well.  Thank you Dan Harrington!  ::)

Jon

Jon,

I advised Harrington and the Poker Mindset. I don"t think it makes a lot of difference on what you read next. I personally read Vol2 then reread Vol1. I would then suggest you play for a bit and read them again learning from the experience.

The poker mindset can be read anytime. It claims to be the second most important book you will ever read with the most important being to one that teaches you the correct technical play.

jlane1980

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 19:42:28 PM »
The poker mindset didn"t turn up as advertised!  So i started on Vol 2.  So far so good.  Thanks for the advise!
The all-in play works everytime but once.

noble1

• Platinum Member

jlane1980

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2010, 17:08:51 PM »

if anyone is interested in reading , these are insightful and get u thinking..
http://www.cardplayer.com/cardplayer-magazines/65663-larry-flynt-20-7/articles/16663-learning-efficiently
http://www.cardplayer.com/cardplayer-magazines/65666-paul-wasicka-20-9/articles/16734-learning-efficiently-part-ii
http://www.cardplayer.com/cardplayer-magazines/65669-carlos-mortensen-20-11/articles/16794-learning-efficiently-part-iii

crikey i"ve had these bookmarked and filed away for nearly 3 years and it still reads well :)

Just read those now.  Thanks.  It"s amazing how much help i"m getting in shedding my fishiness!

jlane1980

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2010, 17:17:39 PM »
The Mrs has just approved my poker game on Friday night.  Can"t wait to try and put Mr.Harrington to use at the felt!  Question though;
There"s a couple of guys that pay the £25 entry fee, but have no concept of how to play "good" poker.  These guys over play draws, and are quite happy to go all in with nothing but a Q high Flush Draw (I speak from experience!).
I know the book says the optimal strategy against these types of guys is to wait for the stone cold nuts, and take their money.  But is there anything else i could do?  
I sometimes find myself calling the 5th or 6th preflop raise they"ve made with A/Rag, just hoping to hit a flush.  This usually ends up more costly in the long run.  So, do i sit and wait for the others at my table to get their chips, or do i call marginal hands hoping to get lucky against them, in an attempt to procure their chips myself?

Jon

kaysing

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2010, 20:47:24 PM »
where are you playing on fri?

jlane1980

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2010, 22:01:03 PM »

where are you playing on fri?

Either Camborne or Falmouth,  Not sure which yet.  Are you from down this way?

jlane1980

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 21:40:10 PM »
I am, for the first time in my short and uneventful poker career, a winning player!  I"m sure i have a huge bit of "varience" on the way.  But so far so good. 
I have managed to turn $5 in to $105 over the weekend!  I am playing, and winning, $5 sit"n"go"s.  I think i"m winning 6 out of 10, and cashing 8 out of 10.  I"m sure this is luck, and i should be facing a downswing soon!  But i"m loving it!
My sharkscope is finally in a positive!  
However, i think i have a need to play the tournaments.  I don"t have any good results in MTT"s, but my sit"n"go results are good.  Is there something i can do to get better results in MTT"s? Or am i being a bit greedy?!

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2010, 15:40:34 PM »
Just read this:

http://www.bluffmagazine.com/magazine/You-are-BAD-at-Poker-Phil-Galfond-735.htm

It will fix everything..................................................

the end :)
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2010, 16:34:24 PM »

I am playing, and winning, $5 sit"n"go"s.  I think i"m winning 6 out of 10, and cashing 8 out of 10.  

are you sure about this bit? It might be right in a short spell of 10 sit and go"s but I would be surprised if you could sustain this over time (say 1000+ games).... it would run up an ROI of over 300%!

20% is generally a decent ROI for these games if sustained over time - to achieve that you would only need to cash in 4/10, with 2/10 wins.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2010, 16:43:30 PM »
Yea 100% unsustainable :)
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

jlane1980

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2010, 22:17:21 PM »

I am playing, and winning, $5 sit"n"go"s.  I think i"m winning 6 out of 10, and cashing 8 out of 10.  

are you sure about this bit? It might be right in a short spell of 10 sit and go"s but I would be surprised if you could sustain this over time (say 1000+ games).... it would run up an ROI of over 300%!

20% is generally a decent ROI for these games if sustained over time - to achieve that you would only need to cash in 4/10, with 2/10 wins.

You"re right. I"m afraid that was my results for about 20-30 games, then i think i was getting a bit cocky.  I"m not sure what my more consistent results are.  I"m having a bit of a break again, while i reread HOH vol 1 and 2.  I think they have both helped me a lot.  I"m finding it difficult to read the Poker Mindset though.  I think i"ll reread HOH first.

I guess my main question now is; do i stick to sit"n"go"s, where i"m getting "results" from?  Or do i concentrate on getting better at MTT"s? (Which i"m getting no results from, whatsoever!)

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 23:22:08 PM »

You"re right. I"m afraid that was my results for about 20-30 games, then i think i was getting a bit cocky.  I"m not sure what my more consistent results are.  I"m having a bit of a break again, while i reread HOH vol 1 and 2.  I think they have both helped me a lot.  I"m finding it difficult to read the Poker Mindset though.  I think i"ll reread HOH first.

I guess my main question now is; do i stick to sit"n"go"s, where i"m getting "results" from?  Or do i concentrate on getting better at MTT"s? (Which i"m getting no results from, whatsoever!)

I"d recommend that you stick to the SnG"s, the higher variance at Mtt"s will adversely affect your confidence and is misleading.

Most learning is heuristic and this is were Poker learning is problematic, we can play perfectly and lose, and thus obviously, we can play like we"re from NI  ;D terribad and win big. In this respect it is important to analyse winning sessions honestly and look for good play that got unlucky in our losing sessions.

Good luck with it and keep doing what you"re doing.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."