Author Topic: Why I cannot make it to the Vic on April 17th...  (Read 22978 times)

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • To be the man you have to beat the man
Re: Why I cannot make it to the Vic on April 17th...
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2010, 22:27:16 PM »
Wednesday, Caesars Palace Megastack, $340 buy in, 205 runners & 20k starting stack

21,000 at 1st break (end of level 3)
No hands except AK which I 3 bet from the SB and get 1 caller.  C bet on king high flop takes it down.  Playing very loose, 3 betting alot out of position and calling in position to bluff at pots when I miss the flop.  No been able to connect yet.  Need to tighten up a bit now the blinds are going up.

OUT 167th 28 mins into level 5
Short tournament today.  Murdered 3/4 of my stack when holding Td 6d in BB, UTG had limped and SB completed.  Flop Ad Jd Tc and I bet 1,100 & UTG raises to 3k and I call.  Maybe I should just shove her but I feel it is still too early to commit at this point.  Turn is 2s and I check and he bets 5k, I call and the river is a 6 to give me 2 pair.  I check and UTG bets 7k.  Now I need to consider what he limped with pre flop, re raised the flop and bet 4th and 5th street with.  It easy to see now that my 2 pair are no good.  He must have at least AJ (although the limp would be weird), I can beat AK but that is about it.  AA is another possibility with the limp UTG.  Anyway I donk called and he shows AJ for a better 2 pair.  BAD CALL EDWARDS!  I hate my play there, I never defined my hand, I could shove the flush draw on the flop and at least give him chance to pass.  I played it way too passive, I probably don"t get paid if the diamond comes anyway.  If there is no river 6 I fold easy and save 7k, so why call, does he really play AK that way, maybe, whatever...

Annoyed with my play and giving up a good chip position.  Now short stacked and trying to find a spot to get jiggy.  Find AK and push with blinds 300/600 to no action.  Exit hand, mid min raise to 1,200, I"m in BB with AT and call (probably should just shove here, too passive again) intending to jam flop.  Flop AJ2 which is good that I hit my ace but bad if I am out kicked, either way I am now committed to this pot, I cannot fold top pair in this spot.  I check intending to shove but he checks behind.  Now I think I am ahead and when the turn is a 4 I bet 600 to entice a call which he does (probably should bet more here).  River queen and I shove 3k for value and he calls with QJ for a rivered 2 pair and I"m gone.  No happy with my play again, if I jam pre he may call anyway, but at least I got it in good.  I should bet more on the turn as I had him beat and the shove on the end is optimistic, as I don"t get called by anything that does not have me crushed.  Not my best poker today.  Played alot looser than normal and the T6 hand affected me, it should not have and is something I must look to improve, I need to knuckle down and grind when things don"t go my way, not just donk off chips.

Head off for a walk to clear my head then had a session on the beer and pai gow (more losses) and manged to cheer myself up a bit.  Last day tomorrow so need a 1 day tournament to play, so off downtown to Binion"s for their poker classic event, starts at 2pm so can have a lie in...

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2010, 22:30:08 PM »
great reporting and a great read.
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2010, 22:30:35 PM »
Fremont Street Experience - simply amazing!!!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4IN_atkPMk[/youtube]

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2010, 19:21:51 PM »
Thursday, Binion"s Poker Classic, $160 buy in, 30 mins levels, 247 runners & 12k starting stack

22,475 at 1st break (end of level 3)
Faster structure today so looking to get involved earlier.  Call a raise in mid position with Kd Jd and 3 see a flop 9T2 and all check.  Turn 4d (2 diamonds now) and matey bets 400 and I call.  River Q gives me the nuts and matey leads into me for 1,100, so I raise to 2,700 and he calls quickly and mucks without showing his hand.  A good start.  I raise UTG with KK and get 2 callers who have position on me.  Flop Q27 rainbow and I bet 850 and get 1 caller.  The turn is an ace and I check and he checks behind.  This leads me to think that he does not have an ace and therefore must have a queen and wants to get to showdown on the cheap.  River 9 and I bet 1,200 for value hoping to get called by a queen.  He calls and mucks when I show my kings.  Pleased with this read and value bet, it is a part of my game I have been working on, if I check he checks behind and I have missed out on 1,200.  I raise in late position with QJ and there is a 3 bet from the button (who is a player called Bryant "BK" King, with a pretty impressive tournament record http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=34022), I call and see a flop J24 (2 spades), I check and BK bets, I re raise to take it down and he shoves all in!!!  Must be beat and hollywood a little before passing and claiming I had pocket queens, he shows JJ for flopped top set (actually had him on KK or AA, but JJ works also).  That cost me a few chips but I get them back and more in this next hand.  In a limped pot I call in the cutoff with 8d 6d.  Multi way flop A35 (2 diamonds), there is a bet which I call and solid lady in SB raises, original bettor folds and I call in position.  She must have an ace minimum here although if I hit I am pretty sure I will get paid.  Turn 4s and she bets 2k which I call.  River 7c giving me the nuts and she pushes all in, I snap call with my top straight and win a 20k pot (she had A3 for flopped 2 pair).  Playing fast and loose and have got that image.  Been able to get some bluffs through but need to be careful now as the short stacks will be priced in.

13,000 at 2nd break (end of level 6)
Lost 6k bluffing into a guy who had AA and I was priced into calling drawing dead.  Still trying to hit flops and make something happen but can"t get anything going, being card dead does not help either.  400/800 (100) when back so need to double up soon, 150 left, perfect 3 bet shove stack, so just need to find a spot now.

34,300 at dinner break (end of level 9)
No hands, pushed with AQ to no action.  Down to 9k, push all in in early position with TT and solid lady is all in behind (and I think she probably has a bigger pair), then BB is also all in.  3 way TT vs AK (solid) vs 66 (BB).  So not ideal to be up against 2 opponents but I got it in good.  Tens hold (shocker!!!) and I triple up.  I raise early with AK and get 2 callers on a board 567,9,2.  It is checked all the way and AK is good.  SS shoves the button, I insta call in the BB, JJ vs JT board comes QQTAA CHOP CHOP!!!! (so sick, counterfeited with pocket JACKS!!!).  Playing good and feel in control, 76 players left, just below average chips, look for spots and do nothing silly (yet!), 1k/2k (200) when back.

OUT 46th 7 mins into level 12
Moved tables, SS UTG shoves 12k and I find 77 on the button.  I call then tight lady moves all in behind (damm, know she has me), only 8k more so have to call.  K5 vs 77 vs JJ, no suck out and down to 17k.  No too disappointed with the play, good read on SS just unlucky lady found a big hand behind.  All fold to SB who completes and I check 87 off in BB.  Flop 862 and he checks, I check to disguise my strong hand and hope it sees it as weakness.  Turn 9 and SB shoves and I beat him in the pot.  He has 72 for a up and down straight draw and blank river doubles me up.  Good play there if I bet the flop he folds, this way I maximized my strong hand on the flop.  We are now into shove or fold territory and I push nothing in position to take blinds.  I also miss 2 spots to pick up dead money and I am annoyed when it turns out no one was strong.  GROW A PAIR & GET YOUR CHIPS IN MAN!!!  Moved tables again and the new one is very active, difficult to get in first.  Shove all in 31k with 89 off UTG (blinds 2k/4k (400)) and get called by AK behind.  I am glad to be live but fail to hit and I am felted (and Vegas is over for another year).  Enjoyed the faster structure today and felt I played well again with only a couple of mistakes.

As I wander down Fremont Street to catch the bus back to the strip the experience light show starts.  I have included the video I took as it totally blew my mind.  It was so loud and bright and I was glad I was in the right place at the right time to experience it.

Back to the hotel to pack for the flight tomorrow and reflect on another great Vegas trip.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2010, 17:58:05 PM »
Great reports James, glad you finally got to have an enjoyable trip.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013