Author Topic: Too Many Satellites  (Read 10750 times)

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
Re: Too Many Satellites
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 18:07:21 PM »
Just read your post John and not all replies so sorry if i repeat anything! At the end of the day in my opinion the more satellites the better. I know some would prefer to buy in . And this may sound silly with the amount of luck boxes that win at poker, but sattys by far the fairest way. Being able to register quick on a thurs is pure luck ! Or fast fingers and when you have fingers like sausages (mine!) its hard lol.
i would prefer all seats sold by satellites but one thing i would change would be weekly twice weekly over a course of weeks in between so if you away for a week you dont miss the lot !

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 18:31:02 PM »
I think there should be less satellites.

The Swansea seats, for example, sold out in about 5 minutes.

This is one of the smallest venues and 5 minutes to click to register is still quite a long time.

But, if less seats were given to satellites then it would take even longer for the direct entries to sell out - so however sausagey your fingers then having 6 or 7 or 8 minutes to click on register and enter a password really should be enough, shouldn"t it?
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 18:55:25 PM »
Satellites are fun (esp rebuys)

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 19:10:49 PM »
Only when were on your table LOL ;)

Geo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 19:45:52 PM »

This is one of the smallest venues and 5 minutes to click to register is still quite a long time.

But, if less seats were given to satellites then it would take even longer for the direct entries to sell out - so however sausagey your fingers then having 6 or 7 or 8 minutes to click on register and enter a password really should be enough, shouldn"t it?

I know you"ll disagree Jon, you just do, however:

Surely this actually makes a case for there being more sats for the swansea event. Rather than giving people a 5 min opportunity to attempt to reg on the lobby clickfest, have sat only qualification and overall the more skillful players should win seats as opposed to fastest finger first.

FWIW I think the sats are fine as they are. I actually played all 3 because I was unable to make the clickfest. More options available the better imho

Geo

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 19:55:34 PM »

I know you"ll disagree Jon, you just do, however:

Surely this actually makes a case for there being more sats for the swansea event. Rather than giving people a 5 min opportunity to attempt to reg on the lobby clickfest, have sat only qualification and overall the more skillful players should win seats as opposed to fastest finger first.

FWIW I think the sats are fine as they are. I actually played all 3 because I was unable to make the clickfest. More options available the better imho

Geo

This is the bit I disagree with, when you had to fill in loads of details then almost everybody who wanted to was still able to get in - - but - - at least there is an argument that it unfairly favoured the faster typists.

But now the registration is so simple that nobody has any advantage as long as they have a stable internet connection (and if you don"t then you"re going to have a problem with the satellites as well)

Actually I disagree with the opinion that satellite only means that the most skillfull players get a seat as well.

The event we want a seat in is a deepstack live freezeout - the satellites are fast online satellites

You can be good at fast tournaments and not good at deepstacks
You can be good at online tournaments and not good at playing live
You can be good at satellites and not good at freezeouts

So seats only available by this route could easily mean a championship event full of great online players while all the great live players are sat at home
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 20:06:08 PM »

I think you"re comparing apples & oranges here Jon.

Swansea is an aberation for S4. There were only 67 seats left after the satellites which, as you say, sold out in 5 minutes.

If we scale this up to the pre-S4 normal size of 200* seats then 15 minutes would have been about right.

*Don"t get me started on the reduced normal number in S4

Personally, I think 3 satellites for a live event is about right...squarely in the middle between not enough and too many. I"ll generally only play the higher priced one and if I"m unlucky (as is usual) then I"ll go for the click regfest,

However, I agree that there should ALWAYS be a non-sat way to enter. Some of us are better live than online.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Geo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 20:11:05 PM »
I"ll agree to disagree. Most of the APAT bigger online winners that I know are amongst the top APAT live players also.

Geo

rivertaff

• Silver Member
    • The Green Deal Wales
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 20:37:46 PM »

If it took 5mins to sell the 67 seats, then the extra 23 seats from the sats would have extended the "Bingo Game" of clicking a button the fastest by approx 1 min 40 seconds.

Yes, the sats do involve a fair bit of luck, they must do I qualified. But to replace the sats with an extra 100 seconds of button clicking IMHO is madness.

The sats give you 3 options of evening, the clickfest has only one. Maybe because of the geography Swansea may not have had massive demand, but for the North West, Midlands and London events it would only be a measure of reaction time.

At least the sats represent something more akin to the event you are entering, than finger licking clicking.

There was also the fact that 10 seats were kept back for Betfair. Will 10 seats (or 10% of the seats in the case of Swansea) be kept for Betfair in every "main event"?
The Green Deal Wales - www.thegreendealwales.com

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 20:52:53 PM »

If it took 5mins to sell the 67 seats, then the extra 23 seats from the sats would have extended the "Bingo Game" of clicking a button the fastest by approx 1 min 40 seconds.

No it wouldn"t.

The seats sold leapt up almost instantly - that was the people who were there waiting for it
The last 20 or so seats slowly ticked up until they were all sold, that"s why I suggested an extra 2-4 minutes for the extra seats, the average time to sell was fast - but that was only because of how many went instantly.

"Bingo Game"? how long do you need to click a button?
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 01:33:47 AM »
John.....u know full well that you wont be able to play much anyway now that the Grand Prix season has started again. Saw your interview on BBC1 yesterday by the way. It looks warm out there in Bahrain.
 One thing I didn"t get though......why did he keep calling you Damon ??
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Joker161

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • jhsch on 888
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 07:25:32 AM »
The very first post on this thread said that one has to play sats to make sure you get into the live event, because the clickfest at 9pm on Thursday is too risky.

In my experience, it doesn"t seem too difficult to get in at 9pm on Thursdays. As long as you are at your computer at one second past 9pm and know where to find the "holding tank" it seems fairly straightforward. It was more hassle last year, but one still seemed likely to get a seat if you were clicking within the first minute.