Author Topic: Sunglasses, iPods, Lucky items @ the Poker table?!  (Read 15345 times)

asarge

• Silver Member
Sunglasses, iPods, Lucky items @ the Poker table?!
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:22:07 AM »
Hi folks, what with Walsall right on top of us now, was just wondering what people wear/use at the poker table in order to help/bring them luck?!

You see alot of players who wear sunglasses, use ipods (normally in early stages) or even bring some sort of lucky item to the table.

Just wondered if anyone uses any of the above or anything else at that matter?!

Philippos13

• Bronze Member
Re: Sunglasses, iPods, Lucky items @ the Poker table?!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:54:48 AM »
Luck is cyclical, in the long run  everyone should get  about the same share of good hands. Nevertheless i would like my share at the late stages of the tourny  :)
Nothing that you take with you will actually bring you any luck and most likely you will develop some kind of tell if you are using a card protector i.e if you are folding or not and frankly i do not see any real use of them. Ipods it is a big no as far as i am concerned as poker is a game of incomplete information and you can use any extra pid of information by listening to what other players have to say. If you really pay attention u will be amazed to how much info other players give without even knowing it.  A good advice would be to keep your mouth shut :-X and your ears open :)
Now thats just me , while i do use some speach play in my game, i do however realize that some players may use ipods in order just to shut out that element of the game. The eyes do give out tells , and some times you can litteraly see the fear in the others eyes , so shades might not be a bad idea ....
To take this a step further i would say anyone who has a favourite hand and that is not  :as: ah  (any suit would do) is just being irrational. You can take jack ten , kings , queens or whatever your favourite hand or your lucky hand is and i ll take ACES every single time. Dont be in denial . Yet one stands to lose a lot with aces , as you should always remeber you are just holding one pair , so knowing when to fold them post flop ,especially when there is enough warning from the sequence of play is a good advice. Do  not get carried away and just because you are holding aces and put all your chips in! Take a minute , think about it, you might be losing and actually if they are cracked you will be in terrible shape, most usually drawing to the 2 remaining aces in the deck.

This is my first poker article  ;D  hehehe any comments??
Phil Paps

asarge

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:37:19 AM »

Luck is cyclical, in the long run  everyone should get  about the same share of good hands. Nevertheless i would like my share at the late stages of the tourny  :)
Nothing that you take with you will actually bring you any luck and most likely you will develop some kind of tell if you are using a card protector i.e if you are folding or not and frankly i do not see any real use of them. Ipods it is a big no as far as i am concerned as poker is a game of incomplete information and you can use any extra pid of information by listening to what other players have to say. If you really pay attention u will be amazed to how much info other players give without even knowing it.  A good advice would be to keep your mouth shut :-X and your ears open :)
Now thats just me , while i do use some speach play in my game, i do however realize that some players may use ipods in order just to shut out that element of the game. The eyes do give out tells , and some times you can litteraly see the fear in the others eyes , so shades might not be a bad idea ....
To take this a step further i would say anyone who has a favourite hand and that is not  :as: ah  (any suit would do) is just being irrational. You can take jack ten , kings , queens or whatever your favourite hand or your lucky hand is and i ll take ACES every single time. Dont be in denial . Yet one stands to lose a lot with aces , as you should always remeber you are just holding one pair , so knowing when to fold them post flop ,especially when there is enough warning from the sequence of play is a good advice. Do  not get carried away and just because you are holding aces and put all your chips in! Take a minute , think about it, you might be losing and actually if they are cracked you will be in terrible shape, most usually drawing to the 2 remaining aces in the deck.

This is my first poker article  ;D  hehehe any comments??

look at the writer in you come out eh?! lol
maybe just "lucky items wont help you, ipods bad idea & sunglasses fairly good idea" would have had the same effect tho ;)

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 13:22:47 PM »
I have a lucky hat.

But I"m trying not overuse it - it"s only for the majors - EPT, WSOP, WPT and of course APAT.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Phil_Crozier

• Silver Member
  • Knowledge Is The Bomb
    • www.easymoneyimthebigwinner.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 14:00:53 PM »
I wish i had a lucky item but no luck can override my donk play anyway  ;D

i occasionally wear sunglasses not going to in walsall, i might wear a hoody though and will definetly take my ipod.
Fold

H-Man81

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 14:08:42 PM »
Am I alone in thinking that Ipods kind of go against a lot of what Apat believes in.  Ok there is a lot of money at stake and everyone wants to do well but the friendly and relaxed atmosphere Apat tournaments strive for is surely negated when people sit there staring straight ahead ignoring everyone around them.  Surely it"s gotta be a bit about the banter?!?

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 14:18:09 PM »
from my experience, there is plenty of banter anyway.
At the last one, after I had donked off a load, I stuck my ipod on for a mini sulk.
Dan then announced that I was listening to "no way back" by the foofighters and that my situation wasn"t really that bad.

In short

"ipods do not ruin the banter"
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

asarge

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 14:18:44 PM »

Am I alone in thinking that Ipods kind of go against a lot of what Apat believes in.  Ok there is a lot of money at stake and everyone wants to do well but the friendly and relaxed atmosphere Apat tournaments strive for is surely negated when people sit there staring straight ahead ignoring everyone around them.  Surely it"s gotta be a bit about the banter?!?

i see slightly where you are coming from, but this is a game of winning and you do what you can to win. everyone is there to win. if you dont want to win, you wasting a seat ;)
if using a ipod improves concertrasion etc. then fair play, wear one!

H-Man81

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 15:01:11 PM »

i see slightly where you are coming from, but this is a game of winning and you do what you can to win. everyone is there to win. if you dont want to win, you wasting a seat ;)

Believe me I"m not leaving at 7am on Saturday morning for a 5 hour drive to waste the seat (So all note I will be playing supremely tight for first few hours  ;) Since I don"t wear sunglasses or an Ipod, perhaps I can try the waving my hand in front of opponents faces saying "not touching can"t get mad" approach!  ;D

asarge

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 15:27:09 PM »

Believe me I"m not leaving at 7am on Saturday morning for a 5 hour drive to waste the seat (So all note I will be playing supremely tight for first few hours  ;) Since I don"t wear sunglasses or an Ipod, perhaps I can try the waving my hand in front of opponents faces saying "not touching can"t get mad" approach!  ;D

LOL!! as long as it works for you ;D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 16:23:57 PM »

from my experience, there is plenty of banter anyway.
At the last one, after I had donked off a load, I stuck my ipod on for a mini sulk.
Dan then announced that I was listening to "no way back" by the foofighters and that my situation wasn"t really that bad.

In short

"ipods do not ruin the banter"

It wasn"t the most optimistic of tunes to listen to was it?

Come Back by the Foo Fighters would have been a better choice ;D

...or possibly Lucky Man by The Verve, or maybe F.O.D. by Green Day ;)
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

jacklevel06

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 17:07:15 PM »
I often take a pint to the table.Nothing to do with luck ,more to do with a thirst. ;D
Mug punter on the horses since 1981

Jango

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 17:16:03 PM »
and who could possibly leave out "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor  :-*

asarge

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 17:23:47 PM »
Ace of Spades by Motorhead could be another ;D

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 20:49:23 PM »
Or anything by ex-Marillion bloke Fish  ;D
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one