Author Topic: Estonia Satellites: A Word from our sponsor?  (Read 11634 times)

Geo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
Re: Estonia Satellites: A Word from our sponsor?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 20:58:15 PM »

I think it"s likely that every one of the satellites would have an overlay if one package was guaranteed for every satellite

Why do you say that Jon? One of the sats for Vienna got quite close without the guarantee

Quite close to the seat value or quite close to the suggested package value?

One of the sats made the whole $400 package and a bit for 2nd I believe

Geo

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 21:05:09 PM »

The satellites with a package might be interesting, but for something like future London based tournaments maybe.

i.e. Plenty of demand but higher than average costs

Depends where you are based....my costs are lower for London or Luton because I live in that general area....Aberdeen however is significantly dearer.

That"s why...if this idea flies...I"d be inclined to extend it to all the Nationals/Worlds.

Perhaps for S5?

“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 21:18:16 PM »

I think it"s likely that every one of the satellites would have an overlay if one package was guaranteed for every satellite

Why do you say that Jon? One of the sats for Vienna got quite close without the guarantee

Quite close to the seat value or quite close to the suggested package value?

One of the sats made the whole $400 package and a bit for 2nd I believe

Geo

Yeah Paul Mc got the $400 i got the fecking bit LOL

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 11:29:06 AM »

IMHO these tournaments abroad are only going to suit people who can afford to go to such an extravagant event and for local players in that country.  Its not just the entry fee, which is mostly what these sats offer, the added expenses of travel, accommodation and spending money abroad is huge and for the likes of me and, I am sure, many others, is in no way achievable to attend.  I struggle at the best of times to make the UK ones as the cost of travel is going up all the time and the cheap flight options are few and far between as well as rising hotel costs.

+1

I dont think APAt can expect much of a uk contingent in these games especially when there are more than 1.  Personally i could never justify the expenses (time or money) to travel to one of these for a £75 game, you"d have to win every time.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »

IMHO these tournaments abroad are only going to suit people who can afford to go to such an extravagant event and for local players in that country.  Its not just the entry fee, which is mostly what these sats offer, the added expenses of travel, accommodation and spending money abroad is huge and for the likes of me and, I am sure, many others, is in no way achievable to attend.  I struggle at the best of times to make the UK ones as the cost of travel is going up all the time and the cheap flight options are few and far between as well as rising hotel costs.

+1

I dont think APAt can expect much of a uk contingent in these games especially when there are more than 1.  Personally i could never justify the expenses (time or money) to travel to one of these for a £75 game, you"d have to win every time.

+another

As a low stakes amateur player, my bankroll just doesn"t tolerate travel and accomodation to this degree. Bit of a shame as I love playing APAT events, but will be sticking to the UK ones so missing some of this year"s tour.

I think this is more about developing APAT through Europe, rather than giving holidays to UK players though, and from that perspective it"s a great idea.

Keith B

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 13:22:44 PM »
Personally I"d love to play all the euro"s, but I love travelling so the travel is half the draw for me,and what better way to see parts of Europe or have a quick weekend away than to go play poker. I"d sacrifice 2 weeks of sunburn, fighting germans to get a plastic bed round an overcrowded pool and a dose of Ghandis revenge, for a weekend in Estonia ( a few mates have been and have informed me the local talent is quite stunning ) playing poker.

Personally I think the password protected buy in keeps the numbers down.  

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 14:41:55 PM »

The password is there for a good reason...to keep the non-APAT players out. If we were to allow people who have no interest in attending to take part in the satellites then the whole point would be lost.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 16:38:38 PM »

[/quote

+1

+another

As a low stakes amateur player, my bankroll just doesn"t tolerate travel and accomodation to this degree. Bit of a shame as I love playing APAT events, but will be sticking to the UK ones so missing some of this year"s tour.

I think this is more about developing APAT through Europe, rather than giving holidays to UK players though, and from that perspective it"s a great idea.

Wise words !!!
with regard guaranteed seats,,this would only generate one or two seats and therefore would not significantly increase attendance

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 17:39:43 PM »

The password is there for a good reason...to keep the non-APAT players out. If we were to allow people who have no interest in attending to take part in the satellites then the whole point would be lost.

Strange... when BS were sponsors, not having a password was presented as a good thing. Bringing more players into APAT.

In any case, how would this be worse than the satellite not getting enough support to provide a seat for anyone?

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Keith B

• Bronze Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 18:06:16 PM »
From a personal point of view I stumbled across APAT by accident about a month ago. I have since Played at The Vic, played for Kent in the league and qualified for Saturdays Online Euro comp.  I would imagine that anyone checking out the satellites would at least have a spark of interest in APAT and I"m sure if they took it down, they"d be very interested and  there would be potential to become a loyal member similar to my case. I mean non-members are surely potential new members.
Perhaps making the satt prize  non-transferable instead of password protected would be less restrictive to the passing traffic , and would keep the prize in-house.

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 19:37:37 PM »
I think all the apat online comps say see apat site for details (or words to that effect),,,not too much to ask if someone wants to play,,,at least people get to see what apat is all about