Author Topic: Official World Cup 2010 Discussion Thread  (Read 18533 times)

noble1

• Platinum Member
Official World Cup 2010 Discussion Thread
« on: May 11, 2010, 17:53:28 PM »
fwiw here is my vision of how the World Cup 2010 will turn out .. :)

Football utopia fast approaching as we anticipate breath taking football from the England boys and for them to sweep aside all challengers...The likes of Algeria,Slovenia and the USA in the group stages will wilt and surrender to Englands power .. On to the last 16 where we will play Ghana who more than likely will not bother turning up , so much in awe of the talent of the lions from England , the mighty roar of victory at full time will be heard worldwide as England march on imperiously to the Quarter-Finals. The frogs will be waiting at this stage , the stench of garlic and onions almost overwhelming to our boys [those dirty cheating frogs] , Capello will have nasal plugs ready for our boys though , prehaps a cunning plan to send and bombard the froggie tw#ts with under age prostitutes will tip this tie massively in our favour..
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/03/06/2010-03-06_officials_warn_that_40000_prostitutes_could_enter_south_africa_for_2010_world_cu.html
Holland await in the semi-finals , the clog army eager for revenge of the euro96 embarrassment that they had to endure losing to a team with players called Donkey Adams , sick note Darren Anderton plus we had a Psycho and a geordie idiot who wore fake boobies.. But all will be in vain as our mighty striker SPUD head Rooney will score a brace and a giant beanstalk robot called Crouch will humiliate the tango wa#k#rs with a hat-trick...

Final fever , our years of waiting to put those cheating hand ball diving foreigners in there rightful place , yes we invented football , do not forget it you bleep bleep t##ts , we are the MIGHTY ENGLAND.. yesssss we meet zeee germans , and yet again herr fritz will be over confident .. The boxheads will not know what has hit them as Capello unleashes his secret weapons upfront , yesss Darren Bent and Emile Heskey , Rooney on the bench , hahahaha zeee germans would never expect that , a masterstroke by Capello , sheer genius , 2 CLOWNS upfront , zeee germans for the whole 90 minutes are so busy pissing themselves they forget to defend against Gerrard and Lampard , a goal a piece and the World Cup is coming home...

That is how the World Cup will be won APAT... 

disclaimer - i have not in any way sniffed glue , nor have i consulted with mystic meg...

[youtube=425,350][/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 20:44:51 PM by noble1 »

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: your world cup predictions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 18:43:59 PM »
Well, I have just had a small wager with one of my clients who was insistent that a smaller country would win the World Cup.

So I have the eight seeded teams ( 8 ) :-  Spain, Italy, Brazil, England, Netherlands, Argentina, Germany, South Africa

He has all the rest ( 24 ) :- France, Portugal, USA, Serbia, North Korea, Australia, Mexico, Uruguay, Greece, Nigeria, South Korea, Algeria, Slovenia, Ghana, Cameroon, Denmark, Japan, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia, Ivory Coast, Chile, Honduras, Switzerland

So, which side of the bet would you choose to take ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 19:30:46 PM by Chipaccrual »

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 18:44:47 PM »
England"s 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).
Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Other opinions?
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 19:00:21 PM »

So I have the eight seeded teams (8) :-  

Spain, 4/1
Italy, 13/1
Brazil,  5/1
England,  6/1
Netherlands, 12/1
Argentina,  15/2
Germany,  13/1
South Africa 125/1

He has all the rest (24) :-
France, 14/1
Portugal, 25/1
Ivory Coast 30/1

66/1 or better the rest
USA, Serbia, North Korea, Australia, Mexico, Uruguay, Greece, Nigeria, South Korea, Algeria, Slovenia, Ghana, Cameroon, Denmark, Japan, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia, Chile, Honduras, Switzerland

Hmm you might just shade it (watch out for the HOH [hand of henri])

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Official World Cup 2010 Discussion Thread
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 21:57:01 PM »
Think tbh id take Scott Parker over Michael Carrick, just think he has more of an influence over games and would prob take dawson over Upson but could go either way on that one.

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 22:13:55 PM »
I"m sorry, i read "official" LMFAO
This is funny oh Noble1 kinobi, you don"t have Maroon5 erm the Claret trio playing this time you know.
No seriously, i wouldn"t say this was the best England squad ever assembled. However it is hard to say any Country stands out by a mile. England do have a glut of possible match winners amongst them, my fear though is that all too familiar over self belief once they win a few matches. If they take every game the same and give each country the full respect that they each deserve England could very well go onto win this one.
If Messi and Tevez can play as part of the same team(seems Tevez does not have TEAM in his vocabulary though) then obviously they can do some damage. Not sure about their defence, if like Man City they would play like the old Spurs under Ossie and lose in 5-4 spectacles. :)
Is Gomez in the Brazil squad? If so he is worth a 2 goal lead for every game at the moment.
No other thought i need to study for this coming week and work some betting out.
GL old blighty
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 00:54:25 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8674148.stm
http://www.capelloindex.com/site/news.aspx

going by the capello index the team will be -

goalkeeper - errr hmmmmm [is Gordon Banks still alive?]
centre back - Ledley King [stats from a total 4 matches :)]
centre back - Les Michael Dawson
centre back - Sol Campbell [better than John Terry?]
midfield - Steven Gerrard aka ABH GBH [DJ lover]
midfield - Frank Spencer Lampard [most of his goals come from the penalty spot]
midfield - Paul Scholes [teaching gingers how to score in Manchester since 1994]
midfield - Joe Cole [ex West HAMMER soon to be ex blue unless his knee pops again]
midfield - Aaron Lennon [great speed but plays like a headless chicken]
forward - Theo Walcott [svens love child , also see above]
forward - Jermaine Defoe [rumours have it that he spelt his name wrongly on his transfer request when trying to goto Portsmouth]
forward - errr hmmm wtf how on earth is Bendtner ahead of Rooney , please anyone? explain please.......

Well, I have just had a small wager with one of my clients who was insistent that a smaller country would win the World Cup.

So I have the eight seeded teams ( 8 ) :-  Spain, Italy, Brazil, England, Netherlands, Argentina, Germany, South Africa

He has all the rest ( 24 ) :- France, Portugal, USA, Serbia, North Korea, Australia, Mexico, Uruguay, Greece, Nigeria, South Korea, Algeria, Slovenia, Ghana, Cameroon, Denmark, Japan, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia, Ivory Coast, Chile, Honduras, Switzerland

So, which side of the bet would you choose to take ?

Spain, Italy, Brazil,Argentina, or Germany  , give your deluded client England as a token gesture imho... ;D

England"s 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (****nal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).
Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Other opinions?

our only hope is that its 5 a side tournament...

Think tbh id take Scott Parker over Michael Carrick, just think he has more of an influence over games and would prob take dawson over Upson but could go either way on that one.

West Ham fan?  :)

No other thought i need to study for this coming week and work some betting out.
GL old blighty

lump on Italy 13/1 ?? wowser

Best ever world cup theme?

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:05:15 AM »
No mention of Anand"s great win today with black against Topalov in the final game of the World Championship? - A lot more interesting imo.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:11:08 AM »

No mention of Anand"s great win today with black against Topalov in the final game of the World Championship? - A lot more interesting imo.

You in Sofia John ?

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 13:20:41 PM »

You in Sofia John ?

Funnily enough, no. Did go all the way to Hammersmith though for some of the Kasparov-Kramnik match.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 13:50:09 PM »

http://www.anand-topalov.com/en/game12.html

and with a bit of poker strategy thrown in  :) http://www.chessvideos.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5274

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 15:49:17 PM »

Best ever world cup theme?

I much prefer the theme from 1970, i don"t have a link and can"t find one. For those that remember it showed the bottom half of a Brazililian dribbling the ball(Pele)?
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 16:11:41 PM »
Has to be this surely..........Best theme tune ever for a World Cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgMjcV5aJ2o
Carpe Diem
Team member APAT forum 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 16:53:12 PM »

Has to be this surely..........Best theme tune ever for a World Cup

I much prefer the theme from 1970, i don"t have a link and can"t find one. For those that remember it showed the bottom half of a Brazililian dribbling the ball(Pele)?

The BBC theme for the 1970 FIFA World Cup

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 17:45:04 PM »
Wasn"t sure how to do it your way!
::)
Carpe Diem