Author Topic: Pair Of Jacks In Early Position  (Read 11331 times)

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
Pair Of Jacks In Early Position
« on: October 31, 2007, 18:36:14 PM »
Okay, you are in early position with average chips and you look down to find  jh  jd.  There is an aggressive player on the button with a similar number of chips as you and the chip leader, who is tight and aggressive, is on the big blind.

You are three levels into the tournament, so there is "plenty of time", but this is the first hand you"ve seen.....

How do you play it?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 14:36:47 PM by APAT »

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: Easy one to kick us off!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:34:49 PM »
Standard raise - 3 or 4 times the BB.

I guess that as you"ve stated that "this is the first hand you"ve seen" you"ve not played many hands, and so the table has clocked you as a tight player?
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 14:24:57 PM »
Everybodies favourite premium hand! As Kinbo says you obviously have a tight table image and you certainly don"t want too many callers ( hanging on to their ace rag) so I would raise 4 or 5 times the big blind, and hope to take the hand down there and then. If you get called then hope for no over cards on the flop and follow with up with a pot sized bet, if you get called here, you are in deep Doo Doo and should let it go. If you get raised pre flop then depending on the size of the raise I would still like to see a flop, but defo fold to an all in, even if he is an aggressive player!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 14:31:12 PM »

... If you get called then hope for no over cards on the flop and follow with up with a pot sized bet, if you get called here, you are in deep Doo Doo and should let it go...

I wouldn"t necessarily agree that you are in trouble if your post flop bet was called.

It could well be seen as a continuation bet, and the oppo might be waiting to try and steal it on the turn, it could of course be against someone with a drawing hand who is happy to pay "over the odds" to try and hit their flush/straight.

I think you can"t generalise at this stage without knowing the texture of the flop.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

biffa85

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 14:51:28 PM »
I would probably limp, hoping for a couple of callers and then a likely raise from an aggresive button play, which will allow you to reraise to take down a larger pot and/or giving you far more information with regards to the other players behind you.

It being early if your limp generates too much action before returning to you, you can get away from a potentially difficult situation of being out of position with a difficult hand for the price of a call.

If the expected raise doesn"t happen, then again you"ve kept the pot small allowing you to exit the hand if the flop is dangerous and there is too much action.

By raising immediately you are increasing the cost and making your future decisions more difficult.  Suppose there is a raise from the cut-off followed by a caller on the button and the big blind, you are going to have call, but then you have lost control of the hand, and are left hoping for the jack to flop.

Still learn the science and practicing the art

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: Pair Of Jacks In Early Position
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 14:52:29 PM »
You want to play it cheap, and keep the pot small as you"re out of position.

If you"re relying on your hand improving on the flop, you"re more than often going to be disappointed. You"re only going to hit a set 1 in 9 times.  Although when you do, you can kick-start your whole tournament with it.

Just under 60% of the time, an overcard will drop, and 14% of the time you"ll see more than one overcard on the flop.  I"d be prepared to win a little, or lose a little - unless of course I hit the set.

To extend the question slightly, how do you play in exactly the same circumstances with th td, 9h 9d or even ah qh?    

Phil_Crozier

• Silver Member
  • Knowledge Is The Bomb
    • www.easymoneyimthebigwinner.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 17:11:16 PM »
With  jh jd i would raise around 4 times the big blind because your still only 3 levels in and 4 times the big blind gets a little more respect than 3 times the big blind from players who like to see alot of flops to try and kick start their chip count early in a tournament.

Ideally i"d want to take down the blinds or get 1-2 callers anymore that that and your probably screwed unless a jack flops.
With  th td, 9d 9h and ah qh i"d limp being prepared to call 1 raise or see a cheap flop.
Fold

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 21:39:20 PM »
From time to time I might be tempted to try something a bit different here. 

What about going for the "suspicious" 2 x under raise.  This will save you committing too much to the pot with an average holding from a precarious position. 

If the action is re-popped from a later position you can take a decison to get out (most likely) or push the rest of your stack in and pick up a worthwhile pot without going to showdown. 

Phil_Crozier

• Silver Member
  • Knowledge Is The Bomb
    • www.easymoneyimthebigwinner.com
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 14:30:49 PM »
Or just throw them away, jacks are my nemesis
Fold

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 14:40:46 PM »
Fold
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 15:28:29 PM »

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 16:39:54 PM »

...... You are three levels into the tournament, so there is "plenty of time", but this is the first hand you"ve seen.....

that can get you busted!!  :"(

8)

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 16:43:42 PM »
That"s what makes this particular question an interesting one.  Lots of variables to consider, and if you are a newbie, not having seen a hand for a while might very well influence you to push too hard.

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 17:01:48 PM »
Call

Call to any reraise

check raise on flop if no A K Q

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 17:06:33 PM »
Are we going to get a, "you did xxxx, the flop came xxxx, what do you do now?" follow up?
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341