Author Topic: Folding Kings pre flop  (Read 39938 times)

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • To be the man you have to beat the man
Folding Kings pre flop
« on: November 04, 2007, 21:58:49 PM »
I know this is an old one, but we got into quite a heated debate at the pub on Friday regarding the following situation.

APAT National live event, level one blinds 25-50, 10,000 starting stack, no information about the players on your table.  Raise from middle position to 200, all fold to you on the button with KK.  You re-raise to 800, blinds fold and original raiser quickly moves all in for 10k.  Call or fold???

Insta fold for me.

Thoughts...

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: Folding Kings pre flop
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 22:10:11 PM »
early in the event and with no info that is a fold
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

JTITMike

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 22:13:00 PM »
Hmm. Not sure I remember the discussion about a raise and re-raise before the all-in move. I see you couldn"t resist putting your "insta-fold" bias on it already.

Anyway, just because you"re a global moderator, don"t be tempted to remove any posts that argue against your rock-like tendencies. ::)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 22:25:55 PM »

I know this is an old one, but we got into quite a heated debate at the pub on Friday regarding the following situation.

APAT National live event, level one blinds 25-50, 10,000 starting stack, no information about the players on your table.  Raise from middle position to 200, all fold to you on the button with KK.  You re-raise to 800, blinds fold and original raiser quickly moves all in for 10k.  Call or fold???

Insta fold for me.

Thoughts...

i"d struggle to fold here but thats possibly more an indication of my ability than an opinion on what the "correct" move is. most early exits in APAT events seem to be AA v KK so maybe i should struggle less.
I think a lot of pros who play big tourneys week in week out would call and if its AA (it doesn"t have to be AA though in which case you are a massive favourite and if it is you can still suck out) and an early exit just shrug it off and find a cash table to win their buy in back.

I know this may be thread jacking but what about:

APAT regional live event, level one blinds 25-50, 3,000 starting stack, no information about the players on your table.  Raise from middle position to 200, all fold to you on the button with KK.  You re-raise to 800, blinds fold and original raiser quickly moves all in for 3k.  Call or fold???

I"d insta call
thoughts??
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 22:41:42 PM »

Hmm. Not sure I remember the discussion about a raise and re-raise before the all-in move. I see you couldn"t resist putting your "insta-fold" bias on it already.

Anyway, just because you"re a global moderator, don"t be tempted to remove any posts that argue against your rock-like tendencies. ::)

as if...

Let the people decide...

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 22:43:32 PM »

Insta fold for me.

Thoughts...

i"d struggle to fold here but thats possibly more an indication of my ability than an opinion on what the "correct" move is. most early exits in APAT events seem to be AA v KK so maybe i should struggle less.
I think a lot of pros who play big tourneys week in week out would call and if its AA (it doesn"t have to be AA though in which case you are a massive favourite and if it is you can still suck out) and an early exit just shrug it off and find a cash table to win their buy in back.

I know this may be thread jacking but what about:

APAT regional live event, level one blinds 25-50, 3,000 starting stack, no information about the players on your table.  Raise from middle position to 200, all fold to you on the button with KK.  You re-raise to 800, blinds fold and original raiser quickly moves all in for 3k.  Call or fold???

I"d insta call
thoughts??

Still a fold for me, although I would probably go into the tank for a few mins.

FlyingPig73

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 00:09:57 AM »
I would have to call and go with the poker gods on this.... I think folding is -EV. Although you are giving massive implied odds.

How many times in this postition are you going to be behind....Ah FFS... not sure now..

Call, Call, Call....

Thinks to himself when they show AA.."What did you do that for....."

"You don't fail when you fall down. You fail when you fall down and don't get back up."

biffa85

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 07:44:37 AM »
National got to be a fold.  Regional now that"s a tougher one, problably have to call, but then again......hmmm
Still learn the science and practicing the art

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »
Call all day long

But then again i have never been past 7.30 :)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 09:08:32 AM »
10,000 chips - level one.  Easy fold.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 09:09:59 AM »
By the way James, loved your 2,000 bet at the 400-800 level (or thereabouts) leaving you with 500 behind.  Genius.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
After a 5 hour drive. Defo fold!!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 10:09:44 AM »

After a 5 hour drive. Defo fold!!

LOL - too right!

Did you actually make it for the 25/50 level, or was it after that?

Philippos13

• Bronze Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 11:43:04 AM »
Dan Harington said that you should never fold kings preflop......If the other guy has one ace his got a 30% shot in winning...if he has A A , then you ve got an 18 % of winning...
So if you are right 1 out of 3 times you will lose...if you are wrong, 1/5 you win...
and you are getting 1 to 1 to your money... But so many other hands you will be dominating Q, Q   J , J... First hand your opponent might thing you are never calling an all in... Not much info on your opponent but why would he move all in with A A ?
Doesnt he want to try to get more out of his rockets?
It is really a hard one since i would not be happy seeing one ace on his hand not two of them ...30 % in busting out first hand yet you are miles ahead

The truth is 99% of the times the money has to go in...you see the line between making a great fold and a really stupid one is a really thin one. But if this is trully a skill game , the best players should be able to fold K K  preflop and that should be if they trully believe the other player has A A , not due to bubbling out considerations or making a higher pay day by folding their way to a better position on the final table.

Verdict: Call your mum and start crying! ???
Phil Paps

texfitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 11:57:23 AM »
Not much info on your opponent but why would he move all in with A A ?
Doesnt he want to try to get more out of his rockets?

how much more can he get without being all-in ?
epileptic cowboy