Author Topic: APAT Irish Amateur Championship - Dublin  (Read 25927 times)

samuel_9

• Gold Member
Re: APAT Irish Amateur Championship - Dublin
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2010, 17:52:42 PM »

Woke up 10 mins ago - in 10 more minutes Shogun Transport Services leave for Holyhead. Hit holyhead in 75 mins. Job done.

ps. Good luck Paulie  ;D
you woke 10 minutes ago i thought the older you get the earlier you get up you must.ent be as old as everyone thinks......ill have some raw eggs  brown sauce and mustered and and a little aftershock  all in the one glass  ready for your hangovers... c u at the tables.

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2010, 20:14:22 PM »
Early flight tomorrow, got to be up the crack of Dawn......one love bite and she disappears!!!!!!
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2010, 20:55:25 PM »
Paulie...oh Paulieeeeeeeeeeeeeee  Where are ya?  Just got a text from Ger saying yer not there yet. 

Someone find out where he is if ya have a number for him please and thanks.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2010, 21:26:13 PM »
Call off the search party.  He"s just landed in Murphy"s and all is right with the world.   :)

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2010, 08:46:17 AM »
Sigh.  Not half lonesome enough missing you lot, but had things to do at home today.  Get yer backsides to day two so I"ve a reason to catch a train up tomorrow for the rail!  No pressure.   :)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »

Call off the search party.  He"s just landed in Murphy"s and all is right with the world.   :)

APAT Dublin....the day before. Pt II

Friday 24th September 2010

...so, we roll up to Euston and I get out of the cab and pay the man his money...and it"s 9.03am. I just handed him a £20 note and didn"t have time for change...decent tip for him!

I race...OK, waddle as fast as I can..up the stairs and immediately see the electronic board showing my train is on platform 4.

9.05am...I make it down the ramp and on to the first carriage I"m ticketed for, which turns out to be the last but one carriage at the rear of the train. I plunk myself down in the first non-reserved seat and all is right.

9.08 am Plug in the laptop, grab the free wifi and I"m good to go.

OR AT LEAST I THINK I AM!

T.B.C.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »
So here I sit in the Fitz.

A 4.30am start for a 6.30pm flight that I made by the skin of my teeth. Who should I run into at the airport on arrival but Jack Prime and Paul Petcher. Fancy that, three Leicester City fans, less than 12 hours after our 6-1 drubbing. No words needed to be said, a raised eyebrow or two said it all.

We shared a cab into town, they"ve gone wandering while I am getting up to speed

A text has just arrived from Leigh to say he and John Murray are stuck together at Gatwick, plane defective. If Leigh doesn"t arrive in time I will be forced to take the photos. I am not sure the APAT gallery is ready for that.

I"ll be back later with news before we start this afternoon.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
APAT Dublin....the day before. Pt III

Having had a pretty fraught journey so far, I"m very happy to be relaxing in a nice seat, with a table with all of the electronic access I need to make the rest of the trip an enjoyable one.

BUT

About 90 minutes in, I think, we pull into Chester and I"m busy typing away when there"s a tap on my shoulder and the train attendant asks me where I"m going.

"Holyhead", I reply.

"Oh. You have to be in the first 6 carriages for that, the train is splitting here."

Whatever...I thank him, quickly grab my stuff and try to disembark...but the doors won"t open. I grab another attendant and she explains that until the train has split the doors remain locked.

FFS..a couple of minutes go by while I quietly fume, the train splits and my half moves a hundred yards down the platform.

The doors unlock and I"m off. I see the fellow who told me about the train splitting, which is the first I"ve heard of it...and we exchange waves.

Now my wave meant.."Yes it"s me, I coming to get back on the train"...but apparently we were not speaking in the same wave language because he turns to the train guard and says something...AND THE TRAIN PULLS OUT!

I DO NOT BELIEVE THE DAY I"M HAVING!

I harangue the guy for a couple of minutes and he just looks at me blankly and says "I"m not respnosible for holding trains".

I give up...apparently his red Virgin waistcoat is cutting of the oxygen to his brain.

I just ask when is the next train to Holyhead and apparently there is one is 10 minutes from the next platform over.

I heave my ageing carcase over the bridge to the next platform and the train is waiting for me. I clamber aboard and settle into my new seat. No luxuries here, no power point, no wifi.

Oh well, I have my mobile broadband dongle and as soon as we set off, I get set up again and start figuring out when I"ll arrive at Holyhead and whether I"ll make the ferry.

A quick check with Trainline lets me know that I should arrive before departure of the ferry..about 30 minutes...but there could be a problem as check-in will have closed 15 minutes before that...at least according to the ticket stuff I got from the ferry company.

I then have to start thinking about what will happen if I don"t make it...do I take the next ferry?...but that"s not for another 7 hours and it would mean arriving at my hotel at 2am...and it"s not 24 hour reception.

I could overnight in Holyhead and catch the fast ferry on Saturday morning...or I could just abandon the whole idea and turn around and go home.

I have so many scenarios floating around in my head, I can"t concentrate on reading my book. I just sit in my seat and watch the scenery go by...slowly.

Actually, that wasn"t to bad, it was very nice scenery and I wish I could have appreciated it more..but I had too much going on to do that.

At one point we stop at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch...but for some reason the driver doesn"t announce the stop. Heh!

Eventually, we arrive at Holyhead (2 minutes early in fact), I head off towards the Stena terminal at the end of the platform to discover my fate.

T.B.C.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2010, 10:32:52 AM »
LMAOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Go Paulie go!  

Very entertaining trip report so far!  Is it wrong that I"m proper LOL here?   ;D

PS  Easy to LOL now - knowing you made it in the end.   ;)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2010, 10:46:07 AM »
APAT Dublin....the day before. Pt IV

I enter the Stena terminal and...joy of joys...am greeted with the famous British invention...the queue!

Yes...I don"t know why...and at this point I don"t care why check-in it still open..but it is...at least as far as I can tell.

While I"m standing there, shuffling along every few seconds or so, I see the familiar face of Paul McGuinness and we exchange greetings, he disappears for a minute or to (honestly, the man has a bladder the size of a peanut)..during which time I make my way to the front of the check-in line.

Now I"m fully expecting to be pulled aside and told I"m too late but...all is good, I check-in my bag, get my boarding card and make my way to the shuttle bus for foot passengers. I try to wait for Paul but he misses the first bus and will have to catch the second one in a couple of minutes.

Eventually, we drive onto the ferry, I manage to find Paul and we make our way up to the restaurant & bar deck.

We grab a couple of drinks and a table and settle down to make the crossing. I fire up the laptop and log-in to the free wifi but it"s got some net-nanny filter...no gambling sites allowed...so I can"t post up what"s happening.

Regardless, Paul and I have a good old natter about APAT, Dublin, Life, how proud he is of the Welsh Team at WCOAP and a fed other subjects.

We"re sitting outside Dublin harbour when the captain comes over the tannoy to advise us that our docking berth is still occupied by the other Stena ship due to someone falling ill on board and they can"t leave.

And if they can"t leave...we can"t arrive.

Over the next FOUR hours we are advised that the person suffered at heart attack which meant that they had to wait for an ambulance to arrive...the paramedics then worked on the poor soul until they had to give up. This then meant that they had to wait for the Garda to arrive and take witness statements.

So, a journey that should have taken 3.5 hours took nearly 7.5 hours...but eventually we dock and disembark. Paul and I collect our luggage and head out of the terminal to find a cab. I would have thought they would be swarming but apparently not.

Stena do put on a courtesy bus into Connelly station but Paul has already found a taxi firm who will send us a cab if we can wait 15 minutes or so. Fair enough.

As it happens, a cab pulls in after about 5 minutes, apparently for hire. We flag him down and Paul goes up to the cab and says "McGuinness?"...the driver says yes and we climb in.

Only it wasn"t the cab we called...the driver"s name WAS McGuinness!

Doesn"t matter to us...we"re on board and heading for my hotel. Paul"s booked into the same one but only for Saturday and Sunday so I offer him my floor. I can see him while I"m typing this...snoring away..poor lamb...it wasn"t a late night for us...but it was a long day.

Anyway, we arrive safely at Latchfords about 9pm and I get us checked in. Nice place, self-catering, but they lay on tea and coffee in the room. Microwave, kettle, toaster and even a full oven.

Other than the kettle I don"t see those getting a lot of use. Literally over the road from Larry Murphy"s and only 55 euro a night. GOLDEN!

After getting sorted we wander over to Larry Murphys and are greeted by the Ger contingent and a few others. Hilarity ensues.

My reputation as a "Travel Guru" is clearly in tatters but I maintain that, if everything goes right, that journey is pretty sweet. Can"t say that I would do it exactly the same as I did this time, I might allow a little more time but  sometimes stuff happens.

Onwards...breakfast awaits...if I can wake Paul.

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2010, 12:45:44 PM »
Yes we made it in the end. :) I should have been on the 10a.m. HSS but que sera!  Cheers for the room share Paulie, very much appreciated. :) :)
Today, We eventually made the cafe for a very good brekky on upper Meirrion St. Paulie checks apat on his phone and informs me that Leigh is delayed At the Airport. Which I found quite funny as i was looking at a Leigh look alike with a John Murray look alike at the crossing??

No wait they are Our John and Leigh.. ;D ;D

Nipped into the Fitz to say hello to Tighty and the crew, Back to my very own room(courtesy of Mair..TY sweetheart :-*).
AAAAH!! a shower, that"s better. Football focus and soon it"s back to the Fitz.

Apat Dublin F.T.W.

P.S. Ger, Pat is not very happy as he opened Larry Murphy"s early at the 10:30 time you agreed last night :-\
You"s in the dog house dukey wookey :D

Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2010, 13:18:05 PM »

P.S. Ger, Pat is not very happy as he opened Larry Murphy"s early at the 10:30 time you agreed last night :-\

OMG - He said he wasn"t feeling the best, but this just proves it.  Awwwwwww - feel better Ger.  xx

bigalhx3

• Gold Member
  • apat 7 card stud world champion & scott champ
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2010, 13:38:11 PM »

OMG - He said he wasn"t feeling the best, but this just proves it.  Awwwwwww - feel better Ger.  xx

if you have asked him to open the pub early not feeling your best is no excuse Ger for not being at the doors for 10.30

allinbob2

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2010, 14:48:00 PM »

Yes we made it in the end. :) I should have been on the 10a.m. HSS but que sera!  Cheers for the room share Paulie, very much appreciated. :) :)
Today, We eventually made the cafe for a very good brekky on upper Meirrion St. Paulie checks apat on his phone and informs me that Leigh is delayed At the Airport. Which I found quite funny as i was looking at a Leigh look alike with a John Murray look alike at the crossing??

No wait they are Our John and Leigh.. ;D ;D

Nipped into the Fitz to say hello to Tighty and the crew, Back to my very own room(courtesy of Mair..TY sweetheart :-*).
AAAAH!! a shower, that"s better. Football focus and soon it"s back to the Fitz.

Apat Dublin F.T.W.

GL today Paul will be railing from my Garden in the sunshine of Gib with a few Heinekens lol.  Are you playing Luton?  I have just been given a leave pass from the Wife flights booked woop woop would be good to catch up!! TID

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2010, 15:01:31 PM »

if you have asked him to open the pub early not feeling your best is no excuse Ger for not being at the doors for 10.30

Sent Ger a text giving out to him and he claims he was there...but the doors were locked.  Unlucky to both sides on that one.   :D