Author Topic: Online League - Team Tactics/Soft Play  (Read 13961 times)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: Disappointing
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 19:26:25 PM »
this is a fundamental flaw of team tournaments where there is a random seat draw.

Obviously stating hands etc in chat-box is huge no-no anyway but it seems that general "soft play" against team mates is ok as long as it doesn"t go over the border of collusion. In this case we should trust players to have enough "poker sense" and sportsmanship not to cross that line. Obviously where there is clear collusion it should be brought to attention of the relevant people running the league with the full facts and evidence.

I apologise to my team (when i play) but i just can"t bring myself to play much different to my normal style, i figure the best thing i can do for my team is play to win the comp, period. Once i get confused over who is on my team, what we should do etc, i lose the plot.

Looking forward to making my first day 2

duncthehat

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 20:04:06 PM »
i think soft play is likely although i am to thick to notice it. 

Still soft play is no different than sitting down to play live cash against regulars at say Walsall!!!!
WSOP 2014 Seniors 207th - A cash at last!
WSOP 2011 Horse just off a cash :(
WSOP 2012 Horse Crap.  Stud Hi Lo 3 off money :(
3 x Horse WCOAP Final Tables
1 x Razz WCOAP Final Table
Apat Series PLO Runner up 2011
3 x APAT NLH Top 10 Finishes

gomarrrahh

• Bronze Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 21:22:22 PM »
i mite aswell get my comment on here first b4 any of my team mates do it for me!
i managed to knock two of my teammates out in the weeks leading up to our promotion last season. it wasnt the best scenario and we had monster hands clashing, i got sum deserved stick for it afterwards.
This part is unavoidable wen it happens but the collusion/softplay will always play a role in this format in some form or another.

can we not do a shootout format where each table has one player from each team, play down to last man standing.
all those left from each table form a final table for the points. if team has more than one player at the table then congrats, ur in the points for sure. then jus let them battle it out for the pride and prizepool?
dunno if this is possible online or if the numbers wud work out but jus an idea :|

but shame players give up on the game from things like this :(
APAT WCOAP Heads Up Champion 2011
APAT UK Final Tablist 2011
APAT Welsh Online Omaha Champion 2010
APAT Season 4 - Five Time Omaha Final Tablist

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »
Big hands are going to collide, even when team-mates are involved. But this is a TEAM game (No "I" in T E A M) and you have to accept it as such if you are going to play in it.
 If you have 3 or 4 from one team on your table, then you have to try and adopt a different approach than you normally would. Not easy, but it has to be done.
 It is a different type of poker and should be accepted as such. It is enjoyed by many and you only have to look and see how many team-mates are railing at midnight on a Sunday night to realise that.
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 12:22:05 PM »

can we not do a shootout format where each table has one player from each team, play down to last man standing.
all those left from each table form a final table for the points.

I very much doubt that this is possible given the Betfair software.

In addition, the difference in team sizes would also cause problems. One team may have 100 members but all the rest might have only 10...same problem.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 12:58:17 PM »

Last night in div 2

I raised  :as: qc only to be reraised and put me nearly all in  by my nottingham Team captain with  ah ks of course i called cos i am a fish and i spiked a queen to knock him out!!!  No collusion there!!!

Down to 10 players and on the points bubble.   Only 2 of us from Nottingham left.  We go to war against each other and both are all in.  No soft play or collusion from Nottingham thats for sure!!!

Hell yeah !!

I certainly do not soft-play anyone, just ask some team mates from some live events, ahem......
  Deepstack champion S2  

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 13:26:28 PM »

In addition, the difference in team sizes would also cause problems. Solent may have 100 members but all the rest might have only 10...same problem.

FYP
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

linziwan

• Silver Member
  • UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 13:27:55 PM »

In addition, the difference in team sizes would also cause problems. Solent may have 100 members but all the rest might have only 10...same problem.

FYP

Or only 5 regular players lol
UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
APAT WCOAP Online Heads Up Champion 2011

showdown

• Bronze Member
Re: Online League - Team Tactics/Soft Play
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 14:08:56 PM »
In my short time playing these games, I"ve seen great team spirit and yes a hefty amount of team-play but isn"t this the whole point.  I"ve personally not seen any collusion, i.e. hand discussions during a hand and would be disappointed in my own team-mates if this was carried out.

So far the banter between the different teams has been one of the biggest reasons I keep coming back to play and if my opponents want to use a strategy to get their teams deep, well we"ll just have to counter it as best we can.  To me it makes it all the more interesting.

It"s never going to be possible to please everyone, but nearly everyone I speak to who plays these games loves em, so I say keep it as-is!  ::)

Scousebill

• Gold Member
  • Liverpool FC, APAT Poker @TheHummingbirds CoLFC
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 17:50:27 PM »
The only thing I would change is the way I play. I need to concentrate longer and to realise it is normally the better players who stay into the latter stages of a game so don"t try bluffing as much as in the early stages. Apart from that I have enjoyed the two games I have played for Liverpool even without much success.
Silver Medal APAT European Champs. 2015
WCOAP 6-MAX Champion, 2015.
2015 APAT Player of The Year.
Online 10th Anniversary Vegas Sat. Winner 2016

Twitter @APATBillShep

The Healer

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 18:01:22 PM »
Showdown,

My initial post was not to look for the rules, or the spirit of team games to be changed to please me. I just came across something that didn"t sit well with me.  As previous posters have pointed out, I either accept it or not, I have chosen not to, no big deal, just disappointing, as I thoroughly enjoyed representing my area (albeit, sometimes as a lone rep).
I understand that softplay is part of it,as much as i dislike it, but comments in the chat box when the hand isnt finished is a no-no for me. I have experienced it on other sites, but this was the first in an APAT event that I have encountered. It may well have been an isolated incident, but once is enough for me, a bit hasty some may say, but there you go.

I will always play in the APAT events, it just wont be the League games.
The trouble with having an open mind, is that, someone will come along and insist on putting something in it

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 18:08:53 PM »

Showdown,

My initial post was not to look for the rules, or the spirit of team games to be changed to please me. I just came across something that didn"t sit well with me.  As previous posters have pointed out, I either accept it or not, I have chosen not to, no big deal, just disappointing, as I thoroughly enjoyed representing my area (albeit, sometimes as a lone rep).
I understand that softplay is part of it,as much as i dislike it, but comments in the chat box when the hand isnt finished is a no-no for me. I have experienced it on other sites, but this was the first in an APAT event that I have encountered. It may well have been an isolated incident, but once is enough for me, a bit hasty some may say, but there you go.

I will always play in the APAT events, it just wont be the League games.

I was going to comment previously, but deleted it beforehand, but I would like to say so now. It is a shame that you feel this way after 1 event...In my previous post, I was going to say, is typing in the chat box while the hand is stil in progress really deemed as "collusion".

Bad etiquitte - 100%, but collusion? Really?

Whatever was said, did it change the outset in your opinion..did anyone reply, comment etc?

I wasn"t there, so of course can"t really say, but from the outside, just looks like a bit of bad play, bad etiquitte, and maybe some naitivety?!

Just my 2p"s in the hat.

I hope you re-consider your decision.
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

The Healer

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 18:15:24 PM »
Waz

Can posting in the chatbox while the hand is in play , be considered Open Collusion ?, I dont know, I"ll let others decide.
The trouble with having an open mind, is that, someone will come along and insist on putting something in it

Foggy

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 18:19:22 PM »

Last night in div 2

I raised  :as: qc only to be reraised and put me nearly all in  by my nottingham Team captain with  ah ks of course i called cos i am a fish and i spiked a queen to knock him out!!!  No collusion there!!!

Down to 10 players and on the points bubble.   Only 2 of us from Nottingham left.  We go to war against each other and both are all in.  No soft play or collusion from Nottingham thats for sure!!!

Nottingham.........................Have you moved your house?

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 19:51:18 PM »

Last night in div 2

Nottingham.........................Have you moved your house?

Hands off - he"s mine!