Author Topic: Live Feed vs. Live updates - Discussion  (Read 17811 times)

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Live Feed vs. Live updates - Discussion
« on: August 30, 2010, 20:40:15 PM »
Not sure if APAt intend to put up a thread for this.

In the "Ask APAt" session that took place during the live feed tonight Des asked for feedback so I thought I would start the ball rolling with my views.

First of all the live feed is a fantastic addition IMO.

However there are 2 major downsides

1 - APAt pay for this, and as Des said at the time this takes money away from the players in the form of added value etc.

2 - The live updates suffer as a result of resources put into the live feed. The updates were previously fantastic and were a great record of the event to look back on. You can"t "rewind" the live feed so if you are playing then you get none of it.

Some questions

How many people watch the live feed?
What does it cost in money and time to provide this service?
Is it worth it?

My vote would be to bring back the taped interviews with Des (or Tighty or Leigh) and put the time into the updates. As good as the live feed is, personally I would ditch it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 21:13:32 PM by Paulie_D »

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Live Feed / Live updates
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 20:58:14 PM »

In the "Ask APAt" session that took place during the live feed tonight Des asked for feedback so I thought I would start the ball rolling with my views.

1 - APAt pay for this, and as Des said at the time this takes money away from the players in the form of added value etc.

2 - The live updates suffer as a result of resources put into the live feed. The updates were previously fantastic and were a great record of the event to look back on. You can"t "rewind" the live feed so if you are playing then you get none of it.

Some questions

Is it worth it?

My vote would be to bring back the taped interviews with Des (or Tighty or Leigh) and put the time into the updates. As good as the live feed is, personally I would ditch it.

They are interesting questions - I"d probably agree with the conclusion as well, the live feeds are good - but I don"t think they"re worth it.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 21:03:50 PM »
I completely disagree....the Live Stream is a great addition and adds so much, especially if you can"t be there.

Obviously the updating has suffered and I think Des, Tighty and Leigh are well aware of it. However, live forum updates are enormously labour intensive and require a skillset that is not easy to find...especially working for the love of it in the main.

I"ve sat at the table and listened to the APAT lads and lasses talk about this and it"s not an issue they are ignoring or are unaware of.

I"d love to be able to say that I volunteered but I"d rather be playing and I suspect most of us would too. That"s not to say I won"t post if I"m out....I"d be happy to but I usually run deep  ;D.

“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 21:10:46 PM »

APAt pay for this, and as Des said at the time this takes money away from the players in the form of added value etc.

Just on this point, although the funds used are "lost" in not going towards additional seats etc...they are "gained" by adding value to the experience for the members who couldn"t be there.

I see it as shifting the value to the larger member base rather than taking it away from the players.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

furnesspoker

• Silver Member
  • Furness Poker Den
    • UK Poker Forum
Re: Live Feed vs. Live updates - Discussion
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 21:59:26 PM »
I have to agree the live feed is a tremendous way of providing support to followers who simply cannot make it, maybe a way forward with this is to actually record this (this is what I have done when not at events when following particular players, I wont post the vids here from some of the old events but it is a very easy process and once done can be uploaded to Youtube) Revenues can be regained by producing dvds and selling alongside the merchandise and at future events, I would have loved to have a video memory of the event and I am sure that many other players feel the same way. I was quite gutted that due to unforseen circumstances we had to pull out of the HORSE at the last minute and special thanks to Leigh for sorting everything out. Would like to say, it was a pleasure as well sharing a couple of tables with Paul P, a true gent of the game.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 22:17:37 PM »
Can I add that if they are going to continue then please improve the sound quality.

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 22:47:42 PM »

Some questions

Is it worth it?

I have to agree with Stuart on these points.  Although the live feed is a good addition, to not be able to go back over the live update thread and recap over the days of the championship as very little is said in the way of how it went, and as Stuart has rightly pointed out, you cannot rewind live feed.

Gone are the days when u had spent 2 days playing to come home and have a look back at it all and enjoy the full update, now it is barely used.

Also, its quite frustrating sitting here losing sound, getting to key moments in the tournament live on apat tv to find its gone down, or the sound is an issue etc.

I understand you all are working flat out, but if it aint broke dont fix it springs to mind and it worked brilliantly just having the live forum updates rather than the video feed.

If there was a way to do both fair enough, but for someone who has gotten deep in a tournament to come home the next day and want to recap over it all, there is nothing to see.
Mary Kivlin

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 23:18:12 PM »
Good debate and feedback on this is very welcome

I currently feel I don"t do both well. the live update compared to what I can do if concentrating on it 100% (hands, content, humour and descriptions), the commentary because its a learning curve.. ...

Will answer properly when I wake up on Friday lolol

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 23:21:23 PM »

I currently feel I don"t do both well. the live update compared to what I can do if concentrating on it 100% (hands, content, humour and descriptions), the commentary because its a learning curve.. ...

You do both very well.

Just not at the same time.

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 23:22:03 PM »

You do both very well.

Just not at the same time.

+1
Mary Kivlin

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 23:38:34 PM »

APAt pay for this, and as Des said at the time this takes money away from the players in the form of added value etc.

Just on this point, although the funds used are "lost" in not going towards additional seats etc...they are "gained" by adding value to the experience for the members who couldn"t be there.

I see it as shifting the value to the larger member base rather than taking it away from the players.

Actually on this point as well.

When I"m not playing an APAT tournament, I"m usually not in a position to follow the live feed for the whole of the tournament either.

When I get online it used to be much more possible for "the larger member base" to catch up on what had been going on in the tournament by reading the updates - now you are most likely to only be able to find who has been knocked out and what is currently going on.

If you can follow the whole tournament from the live feed then it"s certainly an improvement for all those members - but I don"t think there are many people who are in a position to do that.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 23:45:33 PM »
As a new APT"er I have really enjoyed the coverage that I have been able to catch, but more importantly, it has given me the incentive to come and play live. For me the live feed really captures the atmosphere and competitive nature that seems to be associated with APAT events so, simply from a business point of view I would see it as a fantastic marketing tool for new and long term members.

However, I can fully understand that as a more regular player you may want more detailed information and a record that you can look back on after tournaments. I can see it as a tough balancing act with resources tight and dont envy you!

Great coverage all :-)

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 23:53:12 PM »
If you had to choose the Live feed OR the live update...which one, and why?

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 00:05:28 AM »

Live update as it is a record to look back on with added recorded video content like the good old days.

furnesspoker

• Silver Member
  • Furness Poker Den
    • UK Poker Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 01:20:19 AM »

Live updates as you can deliver more information on more players to appease a wider audience.

Would also be cool if players could also text their own updates.