Author Topic: Live Feed vs. Live updates - Discussion  (Read 17817 times)

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
Re: Live Feed vs. Live updates - Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 01:25:33 AM »

If you had to choose the Live feed OR the live update...which one, and why?

Live updates as you can deliver more information on more players to appease a wider audience.

Would also be cool if players could also text their own updates.

Cracking idea!
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 02:24:52 AM »

Live updates as you can deliver more information on more players to appease a wider audience.

Would also be cool if players could also text their own updates.

Cracking idea!

That"s not such a bad idea.

I used text to advise Amanda of some of the updates, whilst I was watching table 14 today.

fraac

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 02:57:35 AM »
Would it be cheaper if audio only? Don"t see much point of the pictures.

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
Live update, not only as a record to look back on when you return home, but the banter, the "audience" participation you always did Richard was always good fun, and the added videos you had recorded with members was good to watch over and over specially the funny ones.

Now there seems to be no atmosphere with the updates, yes its live, yes its in the spot interviewing, reporting etc, but the good craic and enjoyment that came from your live updates has gone.

Plus when one is out, at a party, wedding, work, wherever we are sat there unable to follow whats going on fully as can"t get the live feed either on their works pc or on their phones.

You do a fantastic job at both, dont get me wrong, but your presence is better received on the live updates forum.
Mary Kivlin

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 08:56:02 AM »

I like the Live Feed. It"s the next best thing to actually standing and railing at the table, the commentary supplements anything you can"t see too clearly. It captures the environment, the atmosphere and the action in a way the written word cannot. In an ideal world I"d like both the Live Feed and the Live Update.

;D
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »
I couldn"t make the Swansea or Aberdeen events this year, and whilst at home, sat and watched the Live Feed avidly - absolutely fantastic!  However, having just got home from DTD, I wanted to recap the week from the Live Update threads, but that"s not really possible.

We need to question and understand who the updates (feed or online) are targetted for.

- If it"s for APAT players then the Live Feed is unnecessary, as APAT players are either playing or are likely to be doing other stuff (the reason why they aren"t playing.

- If it"s for friends and family of APAT players, then the Live Feed works well

Given that the majority of people who will have a real interest in this are the APAT players themselves, I suggest that the Live Update thread carries more value than the Live Feed. Not only does it provide updates along the way for watching interested parties, it also provides a partial record of the event. (I still look back at the Walsall Live Update threads every now and then!)

Also, the Live Update thread is all encompassing - the Live Feed is very focussed at specific tables.....

Lastly, if the Live Feed is to continue, is there any chance that it can be recorded and published for replay?

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 09:23:12 AM »

I couldn"t make the Swansea or Aberdeen events this year, and whilst at home, sat and watched the Live Feed avidly - absolutely fantastic!  However, having just got home from DTD, I wanted to recap the week from the Live Update threads, but that"s not really possible.

We need to question and understand who the updates (feed or online) are targetted for.

- If it"s for APAT players then the Live Feed is unnecessary, as APAT players are either playing or are likely to be doing other stuff (the reason why they aren"t playing.

- If it"s for friends and family of APAT players, then the Live Feed works well

Given that the majority of people who will have a real interest in this are the APAT players themselves, I suggest that the Live Update thread carries more value than the Live Feed. Not only does it provide updates along the way for watching interested parties, it also provides a partial record of the event. (I still look back at the Walsall Live Update threads every now and then!)

Also, the Live Update thread is all encompassing - the Live Feed is very focussed at specific tables.....

Lastly, if the Live Feed is to continue, is there any chance that it can be recorded and published for replay?

was gna write a reply, but its easier to write...this^^^^^
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »

Live update as it is a record to look back on with added recorded video content like the good old days.

+1

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Live Feed / Live updates
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »

I completely disagree....the Live Stream is a great addition and adds so much, especially if you can"t be there.

+1

Having been lucky enough to make the feature table a couple of times over this weekend, having friends and family being able to rail you is fantastic. Being able to prove to the girlfriend that you are indeed away playing poker and not ignoring her phone calls is priceless :)
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »

I completely disagree....the Live Stream is a great addition and adds so much, especially if you can"t be there.

I think the wording is correct there - the live stream would be a great addition and would add a lot to the live updating.

But although there is a remnant of live updating, effectively the live stream hasn"t been added to the Live Updating - it"s replaced it.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »

But although there is a remnant of live updating, effectively the live stream hasn"t been added to the Live Updating - it"s replaced it.

You are right Jon, I never meant to imply otherwise. I have a tough time deciding whether I want to volunteer to help out with the Forum updating or playing in the events.

So far, playing has always won out.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Hammerite

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 11:52:17 AM »
In my opinion the commentaries are absolutely superb and recreate the atmosphere on their own without the pictures.

I think a roaming commentary backed up by a live update would be the way to go, giving more freedom to give more information on more players rather than those just on the featured table. This option would hopefully get the service users interacting by asking for chips counts or player interviews which could be acted upon in very short time, with the added benefit of cost saving from the picture crew.

And for anybody watching yesterday apologies for the yellow shirt, bad choice on my part, but at least it has APAT close to my heart which is a good thing. ::)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:53:55 AM by Hammerite »
S2 Irish OL Gold, WCOLAP Main Gold
S4 UK Silver, Scots Silver
S5 WCOLAP Omaha Bronze
S6 WCOLAP Omaha 2nd, WCOLAP Omaha H/L 3rd
S7 English OL Omaha 3rd, Irish Bronze
S8 Irish OL Silver, WCOAP Stud Silver, WCOAP Horse Gold
S9 WCOLAP Bounty k/o 1st
S10 Euro OL Bronze
S12 Scots OL Silver
T: Eng/Apat

janc

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 11:55:42 AM »
No contest, the live feed is great for anyone who cant be there, the updates were great but to see the game has got to be the way foreward
Form is temporary, but class is permanent

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
So...the issues appear to be:

• We like the Live TV Feed but it"s limited to just a small section of the play and is often just players" backs.  ;D

• We like the Live Commentaries

• The Forum Updates were much better in the past and have suffered. I think everyone agrees.

• The Forum Updates provide a bigger overall picture and a permanent record of what has happened which (at present) the TV feed cannot.

Any more?
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »

So...the issues appear to be:

• We like the Live TV Feed but it"s limited to just a small section of the play and is often just players" backs.  ;D

• We like the Live Commentaries

• The Forum Updates were much better in the past and have suffered. I think everyone agrees.

• The Forum Updates provide a bigger overall picture and a permanent record of what has happened which (at present) the TV feed cannot.

Any more?

Ability to store and replay the Live Feed would be appreciated....