Author Topic: Live/Online approach???  (Read 5250 times)

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
Live/Online approach???
« on: September 07, 2010, 19:24:04 PM »
Having played in the APAT live events and yesterdays online satellite for Luton I just wondered if/who uses different approaches to playing live and online?

I thoroughly enjoy playing APAT because raises etc are given respect and you don"t face too many "lucky" callers.. However, I noticed a few plays made "online" in the satellite that was not  "APAT Live" style!

I made a genuine raise in the satellite a few times yesterday that got re-raised to an excessive amount of chips. Eventually, I raised with AQ ($480 - 4 times the blind) only to be re-raised yet again with an all-in (around $3000) deciding I had been bullied enough I called half expecting to be behind to maybe a small/meduim pocket pair.  Pleasantly surprised to find I was actually slightly ahead to KJ suited. The KJ flopped a fush and a straight draw, and hit the flush on the turn!!!

I"m convinced that the same player would NOT have re-raised with that hand had it been a live game....

Do you play differently when online?

???  ???  ???
(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: Live/Online approach???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 20:19:39 PM »
i"m equally terrible at both
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 20:22:04 PM »
You can"t compare the two...last night was a $20 satellite for a seat to a live event...sometimes people gamble to chip up.

Would they do it in a deepstacked live event...probably not.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Diablo

• Regional Captain
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 20:23:30 PM »
the buy in for the satellites are much lower... I guess
The Jellyfish!!!!
London Regional Captain :)

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 21:32:56 PM »
 Agree with the op, (although i havent played online for a few months now), i can remember people playing the apat tournys way more agressive online. For just $20, its pretty standard to get chipped up early which involves trying to get lucky and gamble.....

I also find that people tend to hide behind their computers by typing BS in the chat box. The same people are probably quiet live.  ;)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 22:07:18 PM »
online is way looser than live... i think a lot of people (me included) find it far easier to bluff online than live, and that serves to widen opening and 3-betting ranges.

Personally, I like to play online with a big stack and early on will be stacked up or out (ok so had hoped to get beyond the third hand in tonight"s satellite, but couldn"t resist getting all in when flopped straight and flush draws).

Also, online there is always the safety net of the next tourney after an early bust out..... when hotel and travel costs are paid, i guess people like to be a little more conservative with their chips.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:47:44 AM by AMRN »

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »
Cheers for your comments guys..... Oh well. I tried, I failed, I buy my seat on Thursday  :P

I"m unlucky online..... Actually, I"m unlucky in live games too!!!!  :(

Played in the £25+7 at DTD on the bank holiday Monday after the APAT main event:

A player moved all in with  ad1 jd I called (all but 700 chips of my stack) with  js jc

Flop:  :as: kd qd

Turn:  td  ::)

River: (who cares)  :P

;D See you at Luton  ;D

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 07:09:13 AM »
£1
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:00:31 AM »

i think a lot of people (me included) find it far easier to bluff online than live, and that serves to widen opening and 3-betting ranges.

This is getting scary - Steve makes perfect sense again  ;D

Baldus New

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:18 AM »
Thins, you play the opposite of everyone else mate, you are too loose live and too tight on-line.

Mind you, if I had your luck, I"d take up knitting!!!!!!  ;)

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 01:01:40 AM »

Thins, you play the opposite of everyone else mate, you are too loose live and too tight on-line.

Mind you, if I had your luck, I"d take up knitting!!!!!!  ;)

I always get things the wrong way round !!!!!!  :"(

furnesspoker

• Silver Member
  • Furness Poker Den
    • UK Poker Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »
I treat live games and online games as two completely separate games, in my opinion they are worlds apart.
Locally we have some really strong players that play live that suck online and vice-versa. Of course there are those that suck at both and those that are strong players in both disciplines.

I find that in live games there is much more opportunity to play the player and it is easier to remember who got burned a few hands earlier and maybe slightly on tilt, I have to admit I am not an expert on getting tells but there is a LOT more information presented in a live game than in an online game that you can use to your advantage.

Of course with online games you can still pick up some information, for instance, the speed people take to call or bet, also if you are using software such as Holdem Manager you can identify players weaknesses (Or if you are really good, do it without the software) One thing I find though with online games and I am sure most people will agree, is that the hand range is much broader and some people will play hands safe in the knowledge they do not have to deal with a stare-down pre-action or get the communal table look of "WTF you doing playing that trash!"

So to sum it up
Live Games = Square Peg
Online Games = Round Hole

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 12:37:46 PM »

I find that in live games there is much more opportunity to play the player and it is easier to remember who got burned a few hands earlier and maybe slightly on tilt, I have to admit I am not an expert on getting tells but there is a LOT more information presented in a live game than in an online game that you can use to your advantage.

Obviously the amount of alcohol consumed may be factored in to this equation  ;D
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

furnesspoker

• Silver Member
  • Furness Poker Den
    • UK Poker Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 14:41:49 PM »

Obviously the amount of alcohol consumed may be factored in to this equation  ;D

Hohum after my little excursion to the WCOAP I didn"t really want to mention this ;) lols