Author Topic: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog  (Read 187301 times)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2010, 00:51:29 AM »
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2010, 03:10:56 AM »

ever seen the programme man v food??

Never miss it....Adam Richman is a frakkin" star. If I ever decide to do a US road trip again....I"ll have every episode with me as a guide of where to eat.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2010, 03:42:13 AM »
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 16:32:46 PM by Paulie_D »

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2010, 04:20:06 AM »
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:27:18 AM by Paulie_D »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »

Example 1.

I'm in the BB with QTo...flop AKJ.....Bingo. No pre-flop raising

I lead and get a single caller...lovely

Turn K....OK...not the greatest card for me but I'm still good right?

Turn is a Ten...I lead..he raises, I call and he flops KT for a runner runner boat.

He's drawing to a 3 out gutshot and backs into a full house.

Example 2.

K 10 in vegas is da nuts, second pair is da nuts - get a grip  ;D

Great reading Paulie, keep grinding

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »
Las Vegas: 10th November 2010

"Highs and Lows"

Even though I'd had a fairly early night I wasn't in the mood to rouse myself out of bed. Pete had been out all night and I'd gotten a good 6 hours sleep before he sloped into the room. Nevertheless, I caught up on some bits and pieces but still managed to roll over and get a few more hours of rest.

So it wasn't until 5pm that I headed out to the Venetian.

I wasn't looking forward to the extended trek and when I passed the side entrance to the hotel I caved and jumped in a cab. $10 and 5 minutes later I was rolling into the Venetian's front entrance.

First order of business was some food so I  headed over to the Grand Lux Cafe for a beer or two and a chicken sandwich. A couple of large pints of Sam Adams Boston Lager and I was feeling much better about the world. I even managed to poach off the Venetian"s wifi and get some updates down for the phone.

The last couple of days, as you may have gathered, I've been feeling a little bit low...mid-vacation blues I guess, but after some extended rest and now a couple of drinks I'm ready for some action again.

I quickly get a seat at a 4/8 Omaha 8/B (with 1/2 kill) table and buy in for a couple of hundred. I won't bore you with details too much but I quickly get up $75 by just ABC poker before going card dead.

Not a huge issue, this is cash and I don't have to play of I don't like my hand. It's also handy as most hands are multi-way and chopped so I get to see the trash that most of these people are playing.

After a while we get short handed and, I'l say this for the Venetian, they are pretty sharp on reducing the rake when this happens. We play 5/6 handed for a while before we get some fresh blood...a couple of whom are real donators.

I do get down to my original buy-in after 3 hours or so but some solid play and by 11.30pm, I'm up a couple of racks.

I'm in the process of racking up a decent profit when I get into a hand that drags me in with a monster draw that doesn't get there and I drop $50.

I know an omen when I see one....I lock it up and cab back to the Flamingo.s $150 profit...$30 an hour...I'll take it.

Pete's headed home tomorrow and I'll be transferring to the Orleans. Today's experience has given me some confidence about the play at the Orleans. I'll be pretty much staying on-property and not venturing back to the Strip.

Laters.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:39:48 AM by Paulie_D »

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 19:47:09 PM »
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 19:49:53 PM by Paulie_D »

allinbob2

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2010, 22:02:31 PM »
Sidebar: It's Armistice Day..or as they call it over here...Veterans Day. For the UK it's a day to remember the dead of wars that took place 70 & 90 years ago...for the US...it's more about honouring and appreciating the people in their military past and current.

Over the past few days I've seen more a few US Marines out and about in their dress uniforms and the TV is stuffed with ads for places that are showing their appreciation. It might be free meals for current and past military personnel, free tickets to sporting events whatever...there's a real sense (to an outsider) that these people care and appreciate the service and sacrifice their military people offer.

Contrast that to the UK experience, we might wear a poppy or have the memorial at the Cenotaph on the TV (if there's nothing else on) but other than that...nothing.

I don't know why there is such a difference but I'm definitely in favour of the way the US does it.

Really like your comments.  In the UK instead of giving our troops free meals free nights at sporting events, the boys and girls are watching from Afghanistan Muslims burning the Poppy, chanting British Soldier Burn in hell!!!  How anyone can find this acceptable is beyond me!!!  

As a Senior Non-Commissioned officer in the British Army what do I say to my Subordinates??  Your fighting for your country!!!  Your Country are behind you!!!!  I have no idea!!!

As I remeber my close friend being blown to a million pieces in Afghanistan fighting for his country by a suicide bomber, to watch the poopy being burnt on TV by people who live in my country is beyond unacceptable. 

Rant Over!!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 23:05:22 PM by allinbob2 »

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2010, 09:41:50 AM »

Sidebar: It's Armistice Day..or as they call it over here...Veterans Day. For the UK it's a day to remember the dead of wars that took place 70 & 90 years ago...for the US...it's more about honouring and appreciating the people in their military past and current.

Over the past few days I've seen more a few US Marines out and about in their dress uniforms and the TV is stuffed with ads for places that are showing their appreciation. It might be free meals for current and past military personnel, free tickets to sporting events whatever...there's a real sense (to an outsider) that these people care and appreciate the service and sacrifice their military people offer.

Contrast that to the UK experience, we might wear a poppy or have the memorial at the Cenotaph on the TV (if there's nothing else on) but other than that...nothing.

I don't know why there is such a difference but I'm definitely in favour of the way the US does it.

Really like your comments.  In the UK instead of giving our troops free meals free nights at sporting events, the boys and girls are watching from Afghanistan Muslims burning the Poppy, chanting British Soldier Burn in hell!!!  How anyone can find this acceptable is beyond me!!!  

As a Senior Non-Commissioned officer in the British Army what do I say to my Subordinates??  Your fighting for your country!!!  Your Country are behind you!!!!  I have no idea!!!

As I remeber my close friend being blown to a million pieces in Afghanistan fighting for his country by a suicide bomber, to watch the poopy being burnt on TV by people who live in my country is beyond unacceptable. 

Rant Over!!!

That behaviour sickens me, and the sooner we get a grip of our country and get these morons out the better. How can we allow this in our country!
I do feel that the country as a whole are learning to appreciate the military more than ever before, and appreciation for their efforts is far greater than in the past, long may this continue.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 17:12:32 PM »

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2010, 17:45:18 PM »
Las Vegas: 13th November 2010

"Bricking It"

Ugh....I'm pretty sure I'm coming down with something....I don't know what because the symptoms are all over the place. Perhaps I'm just run down...I don't know how, it's not as though I'm overdoing it or anything.

Whatever, a very late start...seems hard to get out of bed but I head down to the buffet around 3pm...told you it was late. I was thinking about a late lunch but the buffet is closed until 4pm while they set up for dinner.

I have numerous options for other places to eat but I'm happy to wait. I run a few dollars through the slot machines just to keep the comp offers rolling in.

I get in the queue for food dead on 4pm and grab some bit and pieces. Still not much of an appetite but you have to feed yourself I suppose.

Over to the poker room where I have to wait an hour to get a seat. My intention is to put in a long session here...I know there is money to be made here.

Unfortunately, things just go to hell in pretty short order...nothing works, every time I get a hand I get counterfeited or outdrawn. Whenever I flop a monster draw and get my money in, I see more bricks than a hod carrier.

The gods have looked down and decided that Paulie is doomed. The first couple of racks disappear in two hours and the third in another 2 hours. There were a couple of donators at the table (I suppose I could be one of them?) but they juice the pot trying to get even and draw me in only for me to miss like Robin Hood's shortsighted brother.

I'm not putting any more money on the table tonight...so I get up and head over to TGI's for a few beers and some food, it's happy hour and I get a few jars in.

I contemplate doing something else...but I can't decide what and by now it's getting a little late so I decide to get some rest.

Really living it up....aren't I?

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2010, 19:32:15 PM »
Gr8 trip reports Paulie, do get well soon hope you feel better to enjoy the rest of your holiday
Mary Kivlin

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 20:44:23 PM »
Las Vegas: 14th November 2010

"Illegitimii Nil Carborundum"

It's nice having the luxury of a long lie-in in the mornings....well, I say morning, I mean the WHOLE morning...it's rare for me to leave the room before 1pm when I'm here.

Even though I'm still awake and moving about fairly early it allows me plenty of time to catch up on what's happening out and about but still have the rest of the day to play.

Yesterday was a huge disappointment to me...but doomswitched or not I wasn't going to let it stop me. I'm just chalking it up to variance.

I made it to the poker room by 1.30pm thinking I'd play for a couple of hours before grabbing some lunch. FAIL!

In fact, I had a nice 8 hour session before I got up. There was some real donking around going on at a couple of the tables whith blind raises getting capped pre-flop by some moron with a bankroll. Frankly I don't need or want to play with these donkeys. I'm just happy to grind away.

Never got a hand I was inclined to get in with and decided that discretion was the better part of valour and just requested a change to a quieter table.

This was much more my style...no frantic action, just simple easy play. The beer was coming regularly...thanks to the attractive cocktail waitresses...and the money was OK too.

At one point I was fairly deep into my original $100 but only because I invested heavily when flopping the nut low and a straight. I eventually only got half but it was of a $200 pot.

Flopping quad eights and letting someone catch up helps too!

By 10pm, I'm up $100...doubling my buy-in and have had enough. I have a decent beer buzz on and I have to eat so I head straight over to my now regular haunt of TGI Fridays. $4 draught beers and cheap food. I sink a couple of pints or so and a late dinner before calling it a night.

Sidebar: Look, I know these numbers I'm posting up aren't huge compared to some of the pots I could be playing at 1-2 NL...and the profits aren't spectacular but it's nicely in my comfort level.

I came here to gamble...not throw money around like an idiot. Am I managing the risk?...Absolutely, but I'm having fun playing a game I love and, barring yesterday's debacle, making a profit at it. I'll have a count up at the end of this particular set of Vegas posts and see where I end up....but I think I'll be slightly up at the end.

Tomorrow is Monday...a BIG football day in the US...should be lively in the bars.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 14:50:48 PM by Paulie_D »

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2010, 00:47:43 AM »
I NEEEEEED  the redskins to do awesome, AND for london fletcher to make about 1 billion tackles for my  fantasy team to win please :)
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2010, 06:44:59 AM »

I NEEEEEED  the redskins to do awesome, AND for london fletcher to make about 1 billion tackles for my  fantasy team to win please :)

Oops...major FAIL.  ;D