Author Topic: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog  (Read 187278 times)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog
« Reply #285 on: May 29, 2012, 16:40:03 PM »

Could help the race to 2m views!  :)

We"re there. Instant effect. ;D

Oh, so we are - how cool is that! :)
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2012, 17:10:02 PM »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 21:29:08 PM by Paulie_D »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #287 on: May 29, 2012, 20:48:22 PM »

No chance of a visit from the bear on this night.

Fair enough imo, reckon he will be a busy bear in Cork so don"t begrudge him the night off.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2012, 15:42:02 PM »
I started to write (belatedly) of Cardiff on Saturday and Sunday but with almost nothing of import to report (hey, that rhymes), I couldn"t be bothered.

You see....I"m lazy...I accept. I"m not proud of it, you understand, but I get to acknowledge it.

Anyway, that wasn"t the purpose of this post..assuming it actually has one.

Nope...I"ve been running the numbers for a couple of months now and I"ve come to the realisation that barring a monster bink in the intervening months.....Portugal is a non-starter!

The basic bankroll/liferoll is suffering, partly because I"ve front-loaded the WCOAP hotels but with Cork, Chezger, Glasgow, Stoke, Car Servicing, Flat Management Fees and the like to find...I don"t think it can be done between now and November.

Like I said, barring a bink! Of course, as the astute amongst you may have noticed, there are opportunities there but it"s me after all.

On the other hand, Cork is a mere week away...and that, as they say, will be feckin" EPIC*!

*..or else!

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #289 on: July 12, 2012, 22:04:31 PM »
First tiny steps have been taken towards...

Paulie"s Las Vegas Slay Ride ....cos it"s at Xmas...Geddit!?

My plans to use some of my airline points for free nights in Vegas were scuppered when I went to check on it as I discovered that United has restricted the offer to US residents only...Bassards.

Oh well, I transferred them to hotel points via Points.com and, that"s it, I"m done with United.

On the plus side, I checked on TI and was able to get three nights at $45pn for 17/12 - 19/12. On the down side, they lump on a $25 a day "Resort Fee" but although that"s higher than most it"ll do.

Got to book Harrahs for a week and then the V (hotel points with any luck) and Orleans.

A lot of moving about but over 17 days, I like a change of scenery.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #290 on: July 15, 2012, 13:51:43 PM »
Paulie"s Las Vegas Slay Ride ....cos it"s at Xmas...Geddit!? YES, YES I get it :-) Do I win a prize????

Any chance of getting an early Travel Tips Thread for Scotland Mr D? Are we likely to get better deals by getting in early?
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #291 on: July 15, 2012, 15:14:18 PM »

Any chance of getting an early Travel Tips Thread for Scotland Mr D? Are we likely to get better deals by getting in early?

Sure.....I"ll put it up shortly.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #292 on: July 16, 2012, 16:29:58 PM »
Best laid plans and all that but a bit of good news and, potentially, great news.

Looking at flights with Virgin it now looks as though I can book PE seats for £360+ and 47,500 points (which I already have) which means I may save up to £600 on what I was expecting to pay.

Downside is that the flights are limited as to dates. I may have to extend the stay to 7th January (return date) which would be a full 3 weeks IF I fly out on 17th December.

The alternative arrival date is 19th December which hardly seems worth changing just for a couple of days

Three weeks feels like a grind though....not that I couldn"t manage but still it"s kind of long. May have to re-jig the hotels though.

The upside is that with that much back in my skyrocket there is a much larger possibility of Portugal being back on the cards.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #293 on: July 16, 2012, 16:46:59 PM »

The upside is that with that much back in my skyrocket there is a much larger possibility of Portugal being back on the cards.

Now your talking  ;D ;D ;D

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #294 on: July 16, 2012, 16:58:29 PM »

Now your talking  ;D ;D ;D

I"ll have a much better idea in a month or so....I have to put lumps aside for various "planned" expenses between now and Vegas just to see where I am...it"s looking promising though.

linziwan

• Silver Member
  • UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
« Reply #295 on: July 16, 2012, 17:12:06 PM »

Best laid plans and all that but a bit of good news and, potentially, great news.

Looking at flights with Virgin it now looks as though I can book PE seats for £360+ and 47,500 points (which I already have) which means I may save up to £600 on what I was expecting to pay.

Downside is that the flights are limited as to dates. I may have to extend the stay to 7th January (return date) which would be a full 3 weeks IF I fly out on 17th December.

The alternative arrival date is 19th December which hardly seems worth changing just for a couple of days

Three weeks feels like a grind though....not that I couldn"t manage but still it"s kind of long. May have to re-jig the hotels though.

Three weeks never a grind lol.... if you ever want to try some luxury Richard and I have "vacation ownership" with Wyndham, your own apartment for the three weeks... we can rent and sell on at any time :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 17:12:41 PM by Paulie_D »
UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
APAT WCOAP Online Heads Up Champion 2011

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #296 on: July 16, 2012, 17:13:38 PM »

Three weeks never a grind lol.... if you ever want to try some luxury Richard and I have "vacation ownership" with Wyndham, your own apartment for the three weeks... we can rent and sell on at any time :)

Thanks Linda....It"s an option I"ll bear in mind.

That"s the "Grand Desert" behind the Signature...right?

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #297 on: July 17, 2012, 13:35:41 PM »
Stayed in the Wyndham Grand Desert in March. Suites were excellent, better than any hotel room you"ll stay in, corridors smelt of chocolate! Fabulous resort and Free shuttle to and from the strip, even though its only 10 minute walk. Actually situated just down the road from PH on the way to the Hard Rock.
The only complaint we had, was the connecting walls were very thin, we had to move when a family moved in next door, they weren"t being rowdy as such, but it felt like they were in with us!
Well worth a look!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

linziwan

• Silver Member
  • UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
« Reply #298 on: July 17, 2012, 21:27:43 PM »

Thanks Linda....It"s an option I"ll bear in mind.

That"s the "Grand Desert" behind the Signature...right?

Correct. We"ve never booked it for someone else to use but it is done all the time.

Just checked the website and Xmas and New Year weeks fully booked,popular time...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 21:56:52 PM by linziwan »
UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
APAT WCOAP Online Heads Up Champion 2011

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #299 on: July 19, 2012, 15:07:56 PM »
So...plans are firming up.

Looks like the full 3 weeks in Vegas...out on Monday, 17th December with the return flight on Monday, 7th January.

This is dependent on Virgin having "Reward Seats" available which means I am going to have to pull the trigger pretty soon.

Hotels:

Looks like I could be doing up to 4/5 locations this time being:-

• TI - 3 days before Ger arrives (if indeed he is coming): 17th - 19th

• Harrahs: 20th - 26th

• Venetian: 27th - 29th (Just because I can use up some points)

• Orleans: 29th - 6th - This is, like, 8 nights which feels like a lot so I might consider moving again to...

• A.N.Other hotel

I suppose the best option would be to switch the Orleans and ANO hotel so that I mainline the strip for the longest and then chill at the Orleans but Strip prices for New Year will be exorbitant so that is a factor.

If I do this right I think the average cost per night will be in the $50 range (plus resort fees/wifi)