Author Topic: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog  (Read 187255 times)

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
Re: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog
« Reply #330 on: September 03, 2012, 20:40:59 PM »

Think of the savings....

missed this pic, but I guarantee the owner lives in Nottingham on the canal  ;D
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #331 on: September 03, 2012, 22:35:51 PM »
LOL, I wish I had seen this pic as well as would have been perfect for this post from another thread ...

If you stay at Castle Bridge Marina, it"s only a pleasant stroll to DTD along the canal from the Waters Edge pub, as James Barber, Michelle Gascoigne and I found out on the Monday afternoon.

If you stay at Castle Bridge Marina, it"s only a pleasant 3 min car / taxi ride with a hangover as everyone else found out x

ahhh yes good point ... but then you miss out on seeing the freaking skull/head based camp that had a touch of deliverence to it ....

;D
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #332 on: September 04, 2012, 10:57:07 AM »
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 16:48:04 PM by Paulie_D »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #333 on: September 04, 2012, 13:14:47 PM »
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #334 on: September 04, 2012, 13:34:37 PM »

Deffo Ger and I and I think TC as well, but not positive.

I don"t think it was me.. but to be honest it could of been.. BUT I think that evening I was with Pables and JP in a taxi.. and pables and I ended up in the 24 hour Mc"ds until daft oclock.. rock and roll that we are  ;D
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #335 on: September 04, 2012, 13:40:18 PM »

Deffo Ger and I and I think TC as well, but not positive.

Probably Rodders then...he"s about the only one that would fit. :)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #336 on: September 07, 2012, 16:47:39 PM »
ECOAP Sunday

Well, Sunday was always going to be a down/rest day for me. I hadn’t bought into the Main Event for purely economic reasons although I would probably have tried to alternate if I had binked decently in the previous couple of events. However, I hadn’t so I could take it easy.

I had another late morning start since I had no over-riding reason to get out of the hotel before noon. Despite a number of people saying they were ‘up’ for a trip to Hooters there was paucity of actual physical presences when I wandered out into the Nottingham daylight.

Obviously the first port of call was The Water’s Edge and even there I appeared to be the first one in. Ahh, the youth of today…lightweights, all of them. :)

So, I ordered up my pint and sat outside as the sun tried to inch its way from behind the clouds. I didn’t have to sit there too long. Obviously my social media interactions had prompted the masses to follow my example and venture out into the environs of the Castle Marina.

Before long we were many fold (including Jaxie...of which more later), beers and burgers were being inhaled and it was a very pleasant sojourn in the arms of Greene King. However, in due course, the siren song of the APAT ECOAP Main Event called to my comrades and I reluctantly left them to make their way over while I transferred from the Holiday Inn to the somewhat less inviting Premier Inn.

Fair enough, I’ve never had any problems at Premier Inns...they are a significant step above Travelodge. Sure, you pay for what you get but if you go in knowing that then I don’t have a problem.

I was a tad annoyed that the much touted ‘Free Wi-Fi’ (which was placarded everywhere in BIG signage) was, in fact, only free for 30 minutes, only £3 a day (I think) after that but a disappointment nevertheless. Not that I needed it, I have mobile internet (and a backup) so I was taken sorted either way.

Getting checked in and sorted didn’t take too long, the PI Castle Marina only has about 40 rooms, so I was free and clear by 3pm. My basic plan was to head over to the Showcase cinema on the Redfield estate and see what was offered.

On arrival I had plenty of time before my preference (The Dark Knight Rises) was due to start for I took the opportunity for a spot of lunch at Chiquito’s. Very nice too, free Wi-Fi (with sign-up) and quite tasty.

I can’t say the final (?) movie of Nolan’s Batman Trilogy blew me away but it was a top level finale to the series.

That’s enough of that; let’s get on with the show. Fed and entertained, I made my way over to DTD, arriving around 7pm (perhaps a little later) and immediately took a seat at the updating desk. Tighty was in full flow adding his particular brand of humour to the update thread.

Whatever the situation, it’s my personal view that APAT (as an organisation and community) is going to sorely miss Tighty and his work. His updating skills are legendary and I’m very pleased that he’s found a niche in this arena with both Sky Poker and DTD.

In the absence of anything else to do (the Main Event was only a few hours old), I plunked myself down in front of a free monitor and keyboard and added my meagre efforts to the updates. It was handy having the screen etc. available at the update desk, I had my netbook in the car but it’s a little ‘compact’ for proper work.

Time wore on; I had a drink or two, commiserated with bust-outs and celebrated with those who were still in. I resisted the blandishments of Laxie, Jack, Curlarge and senior (sundry) members of the Stockton Massive to head out to the infamous Chambers Karaoke bar in downtown Nottingham.

Firstly, although I think I have a decent singing voice, I’m way too reserved to ever get up on stage and expose myself to ridicule and, secondly, I could see where this was headed.

Frankly, I can’t recall what the time was when the first stragglers started making their way back to DTD. It might have been before midnight but I’m not entirely sure. I was having ‘fun’ (if that’s the right word) adding my poor efforts to the updates.

Reports started coming in once they made their way back though. Sure enough, certain members of the expedition had made full use of the beverage facilities although, it appeared, their ability to remain conscious had been severely impaired.

Sure enough, Jack had, once again, fallen asleep in the lavatorial area of the entertainment facility and there was a reasonable chance of him suffering a concussion from the door hitting him in the head as he lay on the bathroom floor when the security staff kicked it in.

[Minor Rant Alert]
Hang on a second…this has always been something that confused me. People over-imbibing has to be a fairly often occurrence and falling asleep &/or being out of it in toilet stalls equally frequent. Why don’t pubs/bars have some sort of key that can open the stall door from the outside?

The increased cost of the locks has to be massively outweighed by the cost of repairing a kicked-in door…No?

Whatever, the party (what was left of it) made their way back and were telling tales of the exploits of the ‘weaker’ members. Little did they know what awaited them!

I helped with the updating until the end of level 12 or 13 and decided to call it a night. I think it was around 1.30 am… an early night for a change or, at least, earlier than the past two.

The drive back to the Premier Inn was uneventful…job done.

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #337 on: September 07, 2012, 19:37:56 PM »
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 19:43:54 PM by Paulie_D »
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2012, 20:24:57 PM »
Sigh. I see where this is going...
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #339 on: September 07, 2012, 20:38:46 PM »

The next post will have you on the floor but I don"t want to have to put our any fires.  ;D

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #340 on: September 07, 2012, 20:56:52 PM »

If you"re quick you may have time to get an injunction  ;)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #341 on: September 07, 2012, 21:09:16 PM »

Hmmm...now there"s an idea...

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #342 on: September 07, 2012, 21:12:20 PM »

Hmmm...now there"s an idea...

oooooo good thinking batman .... spendz for Yarm Invasion  ;)

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #343 on: September 09, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #344 on: September 14, 2012, 16:05:03 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:13:34 PM by Paulie_D »