Author Topic: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog  (Read 187279 times)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
Re: The Perils of Paulie - An Irregular Blog
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2012, 15:02:23 PM »
Friday brings my first visit to the home of my friend Ger Smyth Sr. primarily for a homegame that has reached epic proportions (at least according to rumour).

My current plan is leave the Essex Wilds around 10/11am on Friday. That should get me into my hotel around 3 pm.

I"m happy to while way an hour or two in a local hostelry (once has to gain a flavour of the locals don"t you know?). I"ll nosh up there (gotta get a good foundation for the rigours ahead) and then mosey on over to Chezger before heading off to the Aquarium.

Saturday will bring the homegame itself...but that"s another post.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 17:29:21 PM by Paulie_D »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #346 on: September 18, 2012, 15:26:47 PM »
You started drinking early Paulie  8)

Apart from being suitably embarrassed, the sentiments of that post are returned immeasurably.....

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #347 on: September 18, 2012, 15:46:02 PM »

You started drinking early Paulie  8)

Apart from being suitably embarrassed, the sentiments of that post are returned immeasurably.....

About 1.30 actually.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #348 on: September 18, 2012, 15:47:02 PM »
Get a room.  The pair of ya are gone all mushy ffs!

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #349 on: September 18, 2012, 16:22:51 PM »
Mr Smyth Sr. is quite insistent upon a "proper" Christmas meal in Vegas and is leaning on me to work out the details.

The basic problem is that the American Traditional Xmas meal can be different from that found the the UK. I don"t see may places in Vegas doing a proper Christmas Pudding but you never know.

Certainly, I"m not going to do a buffet for THAT meal...so I have my local spies on it. It"s, perhaps, a little early, but you know what they say.

"PPPPPP"

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #350 on: September 18, 2012, 17:22:25 PM »
I remember meeting Ger for the first time.

Manchester airport. In a bar.

At about 5 or 6 am.

"look out for a huge guy who looks like a wallruss" were his words :p

Couldnt hope to meet a finer man. Agree with all of what Paulie said.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #351 on: September 18, 2012, 17:33:56 PM »

The basic problem is that the American Traditional Xmas meal can be different from that found the the UK. I don"t see may places in Vegas doing a proper Christmas Pudding but you never know.

All else fails.. its not going to take up much room in the old suitcase is it..

Take a few over.. surely they"ll have custard over there and a microwave in the kitchens, when they bring over the dessert menu, whip out your puddings (if you know what I mean) and its a winner.

Failing that. Fly me over and I"ll cook the frigging things myself at the table on portable BBQ  ;) x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2012, 15:04:43 PM »
You know...I just might take one.

Frankly, I"ve never seen custard mentioned in anything I"ve ever seen from the US...not that"s it"s a problem. I prefer my Xmas Pud with ice cream anyway.

Then again, with 3 weeks away, there ain"t gonna be a lot of room in the suitcase.

Still, my spies are on it.

That reminds me...must add that to my tweets.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #353 on: September 20, 2012, 16:57:09 PM »
Because I do.."Travel Guru" and all that...I"ve been looking at places for Saturday lunch while in the ChezGer locale.

This may be on top of the Breakfast buffet at The Wheatsheaf* but that is not an ideal solution as it"s not exactly close of where the majority are staying.

Set yourself up for the day with a cooked breakfast that"s fit for a king, from just £3.29 Friday - Sunday at The Wheatsheaf Inn.

We"ll serve you the sausage and bacon, then you help yourself to as many of your breakfast favourites as you want - like eggs, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms and beans. There"s more on the menu, including porridge and hot bacon sandwiches, plus our kids" breakfast is only £2.29.

How about a nice brew to wash it down? We"ve got a range of fairtrade coffees, or maybe you"d prefer a good old-fashioned cup of tea?

*I"ll have 3 please.  ;D

So..."Google maps is my friend" and, voila, The Old Hall Farm Pub which is nice and close to the Cheshire Oaks complex.

MAPPY

Make a change from Frankie & Bennys / Chiquitos / Nandos / Bella Italia.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #354 on: September 20, 2012, 17:03:30 PM »

Because I do.."Travel Guru" and all that...I"ve been looking at places for Saturday lunch while in the ChezGer locale.

This may be on top of the Breakfast buffet at The Wheatsheaf* but that is not an ideal solution as it"s not exactly close of where the majority are staying.

Set yourself up for the day with a cooked breakfast that"s fit for a king, from just £3.29 Friday - Sunday at The Wheatsheaf Inn.

We"ll serve you the sausage and bacon, then you help yourself to as many of your breakfast favourites as you want - like eggs, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms and beans. There"s more on the menu, including porridge and hot bacon sandwiches, plus our kids" breakfast is only £2.29.

How about a nice brew to wash it down? We"ve got a range of fairtrade coffees, or maybe you"d prefer a good old-fashioned cup of tea?

*I"ll have 3 please.  ;D

So..."Google maps is my friend" and, voila, The Old Hall Farm Pub which is nice and close to the Cheshire Oaks complex.

MAPPY

Make a change from Frankie & Bennys / Chiquitos / Nandos / Bella Italia.

It"s fine and gets busy at the weekend (if a little over the "normal" hungry horse prices). I as ever will be where I am told to be.....

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #355 on: September 20, 2012, 17:11:31 PM »

It"s fine and gets busy at the weekend (if a little over the "normal" hungry horse prices). I as ever will be where I am told to be.....

I was thinking of distance for the Cheshire Oaks contingent.

Otherwise

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #356 on: September 20, 2012, 17:14:27 PM »

I was thinking of distance for the Cheshire Oaks contingent.

Otherwise

The Wirral 100 is the nearest pub to Chezger, I don"t frequent it - nuff said  ::) ::) ::)

The Rake is actually very good....

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #357 on: September 20, 2012, 17:19:02 PM »

The Wirral 100 is the nearest pub to Chezger, I don"t frequent it - nuff said  ::) ::) ::)

The Rake is actually very good....

Nuff said indeed. It has been stricken.

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #358 on: September 20, 2012, 19:47:21 PM »
There"s a Harvester near Cheshire Oaks - actually next to Old Hall Farm but you have to be on the main road to get to it.

Highly recommended by my wife.

LINKY
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #359 on: September 20, 2012, 21:21:12 PM »
Careful with taking Xmas pudding to the states, due to banned products. I"m not 100% sure but e.g. I think nuts is on the list. Whilst it"s unlikely you"ll get your bag searched I"m not sure what would happen if they do and then find something.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!