Author Topic: APAT Payout Structures  (Read 41167 times)

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
Re: APAT Payout Structures
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2010, 12:43:18 PM »

The issues about voting have come up before in other matters (the committee being one). APAT has (I believe) well over 10,000 members...of which only about 7000 are members of the forum.

How many people have expressed an opinion here? Let"s be generous and say 70...that"s 1%....and not all of those were of the same opinion.

It"s tough to base a change on a 1% sample. The argument (if you will) is whether that (say) 75% of the 1% represent the membership as a whole.

Just out of curiousity, what do you think would be a better way to get the opinions of the membership other than this thread?
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2010, 12:54:46 PM »
It doesn"t need to go to a vote. Des, Leigh, and Rich, all watch these threads and take on board opinions and suggestions, which then contribute to their decision making when putting together the structure for the next season.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2010, 13:09:27 PM »

The issues about voting have come up before in other matters (the committee being one). APAT has (I believe) well over 10,000 members...of which only about 7000 are members of the forum.

How many people have expressed an opinion here? Let"s be generous and say 70...that"s 1%....and not all of those were of the same opinion.

It"s tough to base a change on a 1% sample. The argument (if you will) is whether that (say) 75% of the 1% represent the membership as a whole.

Just out of curiousity, what do you think would be a better way to get the opinions of the membership other than this thread?

A postal survey would be the most accurate measure.

But, from experience with clients, less than 10% would reply so it would be more of the membership - but it would still be very much a minority.

It also wouldn"t be likely to come up with anything radically different to what has been suggested on this thread.

My view is that APAT should, and does, listen to it"s membership - but it"s not a democracy.

Opinions and arguments have been put forward, APAT can consider them and decide what changes to make.

After all, if something doesn"t work as people expect - it can always be changed back.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2010, 13:29:29 PM »

Oh...I have no idea...it"s just that the forum gets the vocal people...like I said, they may be representative...probably are (is my feeling)..but you can"t be sure.

Postal vote...I doubt if APAT has postal addresses for anything other than a tiny %age of it"s membership...oh, and really expensive too.

You can"t easily run a vote based on email replies, AFAIK.

Forum software...a possibility but you get the sample issue again.

Perhaps a questionnaire type thingy to be handed out at live events...at least you"d get the opinion of those that show up!  ;D

But, in truth, Steve is right...

It doesn"t need to go to a vote. Des, Leigh, and Rich, all watch these threads and take on board opinions and suggestions, which then contribute to their decision making when putting together the structure for the next season.

“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2010, 17:12:05 PM »

Some kind of special tournament for APAT members would be great but I don"t think it should be the world championship. Maybe we could even organise an "unoffical" one during the off season somehow which would allow people like Rich and Leigh to play?

now that did make me laugh.  ;D

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2010, 17:16:22 PM »
Thing about "non members" (didnt think there was such a thing) playing is that they often find out about APAT thru the tour visiting their town.

Colin young is a good example- he said he had no idea about APAT before the worlds at DTD and plans to travel and play a lot more events
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

PantsMan

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2010, 17:38:06 PM »

.....at least means those who make the second day make a bit to cover their expenses for playing.

This was an interesting point which sort of got overlooked in all the kerfuffle and is deserving of some attention IMO.

I do think that the number of people brought back on the second day needs to be re-examined. It is disheartening to have to come back on Day 2 and not make any money. It"s happened more than once.

I know it"s something Tighty, Des and Leigh are aware of but perhaps playing a little longer to make sure would mean that those who bust out without a cash can at least plan a little bit better for the next day.

It is disheartening to have to come back and not cash. It happened to me last year in the Worlds. I came back on Day 2 for about 3/4 of an hour before i got busted but i wouldn"t change it. Day one finished about 2 in the morning when it happened to me so we"d been playing solid for 12 hours. That was tough enough. I"d rather come back the next day refreshed than just keep slogging it out just to get the numbers down.

As for not allowing deal making and the prize structure, I don"t mind either. the prize structure encourages people to aim for the top, which is not a bad thing imo. I do so anyway but some people are happy to just move up the ladder for that extra bit of cash. For me i want the win or at least a medal. The money is nice but not life changing. I prefer shiny things!   :)

bigalhx3

• Gold Member
  • apat 7 card stud world champion & scott champ
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2010, 18:57:57 PM »
Thing about "non members" is its not a closed shop and anyone is welcome to play in any apat event as long as they are not a pro , you pay your money you take your chance
look wot happend to the wsop after they let anyone enter
1970 WSOP 6 players
2010 WSOP 7,319 players

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2010, 20:53:30 PM »

Thing about "non members" (didnt think there was such a thing) playing is that they often find out about APAT thru the tour visiting their town.

Colin young is a good example- he said he had no idea about APAT before the worlds at DTD and plans to travel and play a lot more events

I spend most of the day during the 6-max at Colin"s table and he spoke to me about APAT again last weekend at the DTD deepstack event. He very much likes the medals and added value (and we talked about this before he won) and had nothing but praise for APAT. This coming from someone who has won the DTD Deepstack event twice!

I think, like me, he will play whether the payout structure changes or not. The money is nice, but a lot of APAT players are not playing for the money.

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2010, 21:05:21 PM »

Not talking about payouts from 27th onwards- just the final table payout structure. I have no idea why APAT differs in this area.

APAT is a "training ground" for amateurs. Make no sense why their final table payout structure should differ from any other major tournament in the world.

I think this would be part of APAt"s evolution. We"ve had tweaks to the stucture- also introduced antes. Think this is the next step.

Totally agree here. Everything else is pretty much spot on but paying 4th the same as 9th i think is a bit daft, not to mention changing the whole dynamics of the game on the final table, and not in a good way. I think every place jump on the FT should come with a money jump as with every other tourney in the world.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2010, 22:27:01 PM »

Not talking about payouts from 27th onwards- just the final table payout structure. I have no idea why APAT differs in this area.

APAT is a "training ground" for amateurs. Make no sense why their final table payout structure should differ from any other major tournament in the world.

I think this would be part of APAt"s evolution. We"ve had tweaks to the stucture- also introduced antes. Think this is the next step.

Totally agree here. Everything else is pretty much spot on but paying 4th the same as 9th i think is a bit daft, not to mention changing the whole dynamics of the game on the final table, and not in a good way. I think every place jump on the FT should come with a money jump as with every other tourney in the world.

ok but you are a tart  ;D ;D ;D ;D