Author Topic: apat structure  (Read 15614 times)

inthebelly

• Bronze Member
apat structure
« on: June 04, 2007, 00:03:13 AM »
although i never played the tournament this weekend i followed it on the excellent live update thread,was i the only one who felt it became very crapshooty from a long way out?

would love feed back from those who participated.

wasn"t the whole idea of these tournaments to give amateurs a taste of the structures offered in a pro tournament ?

personally i dont think a 40 min clock offers this as the whole tournament took less than 16 hours to complete.

i may b wrong here as i have no experience of going deep in an apat tourni so your views please

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
Re: apat structure
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 07:05:02 AM »
A lot of thought has gone into the structures, refined and fed back after each event

10,000 starting chips, 40 minute clock..150-300 level included. Thats a "festival" structure

Not a single complaint about the structure from the players...interested to hear if they think otherwise on here

If the feedback overwhelmingly suggests change we will of course listen

In any large number freezeout event there is always a stage where medium stacks feel the pressure...typically 30 to 10 runners out and the start of the second day usually sees a lot of all-in poker..the stacks then consolidate and yesterday the final played out over 3 hours plus, or over four levels  

matt674

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:16:13 AM »
I played my first APAT event this weekend and personally i didnt think there was anything wrong with the structure - I knew about it before hand and knew roughly where i needed to be before each level began. I knew that after dinner the blinds were going to be at a level where short stacks only had one move so the plan was to be at least twice the starting chips. Those who decide to take it easy the first few levels will get caught out later in the day but those who keep their stack on a steady increase will constantly have more than 20 bb"s which i did most of the way - i only fell below this by the time we got to 800/1600 with 28000k but even then i never felt that i was in too much trouble, there were still good opportunities to get chips from others.

Have a plan of strategy in mind before the tourney starts and the structure isn"t a problem - the 6 outers on the river however is a different matter entirely!! :"(

busman

• Bronze Member
    • KAIT
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »
couldn`t agree more matt,  being my first apat tourney, i felt the structure leaded itself to some interesting plays while still making sure you had to know where you were at each level.

the fact of not getting any hands for 2 hrs and a raising station at the other end of the table didnt help but still felt i did nothing wrong in my short stint in the tourney.

hope you can make the nuts league after your trip to spain (if you are the matt in between myself and mary)!!!

as for the apat and fitz staff they were all great and did a wonderful job during the weekend, and under some stressful times.

a completely enjoyable weekend and i for one cant wait for the next live game.  ;D
Poker is like life, some you win some you loose. but never bluff as sooner or later you will be found out.

inthebelly

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »

A lot of thought has gone into the structures, refined and fed back after each event

10,000 starting chips, 40 minute clock..150-300 level included. Thats a "festival" structure

Not a single complaint about the structure from the players...interested to hear if they think otherwise on here

If the feedback overwhelmingly suggests change we will of course listen

In any large number freezeout event there is always a stage where medium stacks feel the pressure...typically 30 to 10 runners out and the start of the second day usually sees a lot of all-in poker..the stacks then consolidate and yesterday the final played out over 3 hours plus, or over four levels  

ive never played a festival event with a 40 min clock

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 13:10:57 PM »
I have, with a 30 minute clock. Won it too! Miracle did happen.

typically 45 minute clocks in festival side events...so virtually comparable with this clock for the APAT events

main events are 1 hour plus usually

the problem here is we aim to finish midnight-ish night 1 and early on the second evening to allow working people to get home for the Monday morning

Without that we no doubt could run a longer clock

matt674

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 13:11:39 PM »

hope you can make the nuts league after your trip to spain (if you are the matt in between myself and mary)!!!

Sorry squire i think you have me confused with another Matt, I"m the Matt who looked like "John Travolta" or "Don King"s Minder" depending on which page of the APAT live update you were reading :D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 13:14:17 PM by matt674 »

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 13:13:13 PM »
Matt, you missed when I described your table as "Table Grand Theft Auto" on a chip count post at the break then?

:D

matt674

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 13:16:05 PM »

Matt, you missed when I described your table as "Table Grand Theft Auto" on a chip count post at the break then?

:D

No i didnt miss it - i remember it saying "Table Monkey Grand Theft Auto" I wasnt sure if you were referencing the Leone family character you play in the game or you were implying that i was stealing a lot!! :D

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • To be the man you have to beat the man
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 15:01:32 PM »
The tournament structure is one of the main reasons why the APAT live events appeal to me.  It allows play early on and time to wait if things are not happening for you.  You will always get stages of the tournament where the short stacks come under pressure and need to double up, everyone is aware of this from the start.  No complaints about structure from me.

Sheriff Fatman

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 16:05:10 PM »
I"m happy with the structure.  There are a couple of points, most notably after the dinner break, where the blind increases put people under pressure but this is the same in festival events too.

The one criticism I do have from witnessing the Dublin event is that everything is allowed to drag out on day two, compared to the "military precision" of the day 1 timetable.  Consequently, anyone involved in yesterday"s final table would"ve had no chance of getting home on the Sunday (which is one of the stated aims of APAT, as Tighty has alluded to here).

I had a 10pm flight booked yesterday, which was then subsequently delayed.  At 10.30pm I was reading the updates from the departure gate and play was still going on.  Tighty"s first post in this thread says that the final played out over 4 levels on day 2.  Play started at 2.30pm.  Something somewhere doesn"t add up.

The delays yesterday didn"t affect me as I made a "tactical" decision to go out on day 1  ::) but it does factor into my thinking for future live events.  I don"t really want to have to eat into holiday time and incur travel costs for a Sunday night stopover for an event where I"m most likely to have gone out on day one.  However, the evidence of yesterday suggests that this will be a necessity going forward.

Sheriff

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 18:00:17 PM »

I"m happy with the structure.  There are a couple of points, most notably after the dinner break, where the blind increases put people under pressure but this is the same in festival events too.

The one criticism I do have from witnessing the Dublin event is that everything is allowed to drag out on day two, compared to the "military precision" of the day 1 timetable.  Consequently, anyone involved in yesterday"s final table would"ve had no chance of getting home on the Sunday (which is one of the stated aims of APAT, as Tighty has alluded to here).

I had a 10pm flight booked yesterday, which was then subsequently delayed.  At 10.30pm I was reading the updates from the departure gate and play was still going on.  Tighty"s first post in this thread says that the final played out over 4 levels on day 2.  Play started at 2.30pm.  Something somewhere doesn"t add up.

The delays yesterday didn"t affect me as I made a "tactical" decision to go out on day 1  ::) but it does factor into my thinking for future live events.  I don"t really want to have to eat into holiday time and incur travel costs for a Sunday night stopover for an event where I"m most likely to have gone out on day one.  However, the evidence of yesterday suggests that this will be a necessity going forward.

Sheriff

Play is slower on day 2, two hand for hand periods from 17th to 16th and 10th to 9th for example

As for four levels on the final I may be mistaken it may have been more. Anyway this event took much longer than others, all complete by 8.30-9pm...this time we had a lengthy heads up. Also we had a double-long break pre-final, a chip count issue pre-final etc etc it all added up

The aim in future will still be to complete at a good time on the final night, usually assuming for most people the next day will be a working day.

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 19:59:28 PM »
I was happy with the structure, ideally would be great to have timeframe on the the 2nd day which is consistent for each event, so that we can determine if we can fly home that night, I agree the extra costs associated with hotel expenses and also a day off work can be costly.

It was my first APAT Tournament and I played absolutely crap, pardon the french, I was nervous (not ashamed to admit it) and i didnt think clearly enough hence my early exit.

Despite the nerves and the early exit, I will be back again to play (should i make the final player list), I love the atmosphere, the people and expecially the POKER.  I love the game, and as an amateur love the opportunity to play in a huge event like this and gain some more experience etc..

Cheers

Mary

9s 6s
Mary Kivlin

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 21:11:50 PM »
Having done three events this season, I"ve seen a change in the quality of play. To me it"s improving and I think this is having an affect on the time that it now takes to lose players on day one and also the time it takes to complete play on day 2.

As for the structure, I don"t think it can be faulted.

FlyingPig73

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 21:20:18 PM »
The only fault that I can think of is, I should start with 20,000 in chips... Haha.. Lol
"You don't fail when you fall down. You fail when you fall down and don't get back up."