Author Topic: Grant's Glasgow Banter  (Read 196953 times)

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
Re: Grant's Glasgow Banter
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2011, 12:59:55 PM »
Had a couple of hours reflection on the Home International game when I got back to the hotel. Have to say huge congratulations to the wales A Team, to get all 4 players on to the FT from 32 runners is pretty fantastic. On our team performance I can only say that we gave ourselves a chance from Thursday evening"s SnG"s, leading by 7 after both rounds 1 & 2 then being only 2 behind England B overnight after round 3. Also have to give a shout out individually to Andy Kingan of the England B Team, who played superbly consistent over the 2 days and was a pleasure to share a table with (when he wasn"t taking my chips  :D )

Final day saw us under a fair amount of pressure after mediocre scoring in the heads up, though I loved my 2 games against Steve Roderick (great game that swung back and forth but ended in defeat after about 50 minutes) and against Ger Smyth Jnr ( again a great game, poor Ger seemed to hit middle pair every time I had top pair, got low in chips and clawed them back, then finally re-raised my button raise with 55 and ran into my AA).

The MTT was a very mixed bag that became a different monster after the early exit of team mates Ian and a while later Stu. I decided at that point to try to build chips as getting deep into the points was about the only way we could possibly win over all. Needless to say that plan backfired when i tried to rob Dan Owston with 3/4  :-[

So 5th place at the finale and feel like I"ve just watched Black Swan again over the past 2 days, a nice beginning, a strange middle and very much a WTF ending!

Now set for the individual UK Championship and can play my own game without considering team position, scoring, responsibility etc. Sure I"ll be just as focussed though and looking forward to meeting up with the gang again.
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2011, 22:49:58 PM »
A very disappointing UK Amateur game was had in the end, particularly the nature of my exit which stung for a while. Was down to just over 5k at 100/200 with 6/6 in the small blind when cut off (Andy Blair) raised to 550. Wasn"t uncommon on table 5 to have raising on my right with Tod Wood in between and John Murray just beyond Andy so I flat called to see the flop and was very happy to see 2/2/10 and checked it back to Andy. He bet 500, I raised to 1800 and he shoved. I called believing i was ahead and caught him at the rob with K/6os. Looking good to get back above starting stack until King on river busted me  :(

I was obviously fuming at Andy"s play, he said he thought he"d get me off the hand but with a re-raise and half my stack already in there what did he hope I had that I would lay down by then?

Anyway, still had a great few days with the APAT crew, just a bit deflated at the end and was glad to be heading home at lunch time today after a few beers to dull the pain last night  ;D

See you all on the virtual felt very soon and hope to catch up in person at the Scottish in July (Cardiff would be nice but Anne goes on holiday on 27th May so babysitting duties for me lol)

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2011, 20:47:04 PM »
Very disappointing quick exit from the Online league game (again). Picked up AA in BB, 3 bet to 240 after iunitial raise from EP to 80, chips all in on 8/10/J flop and of course set of 10"s flipped FML.

Same question keeps rearing it"s ugly head after the online league games........why am i playing so poorly? TBH I have no idea but the hand above is a prime example. With a starting stack of 3k and 15 minute blinds I should be able to see the hands out there that are beating me and pick a better spot. I do it often enough in other tournaments and cash tables but seem to be lacking focus on a Sunday night when I need it. Let the Glasgow team down again by scoring nil points and need to get my act together.

Answers on a postcard please!

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »
Can"t really remember how the betting went in this hand Grant, other than I think you could have got away from it. You got married to the Rockets, was I really going to call off all my chips with just one pair. Unlucky though always sick to lose with Aces.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2011, 01:44:39 AM »

Can"t really remember how the betting went in this hand Grant, other than I think you could have got away from it. You got married to the Rockets, was I really going to call off all my chips with just one pair. Unlucky though always sick to lose with Aces.

Yeah Mikey definitely should"ve got away from it, I checked flop to you, you bet half pot, i raised to 1000, you re-raised and I shoved. You gave me the answer with the re-raise and you"re right I fell in love with the rockets. I"m sure I would lay that down in other games after you re-raise my 1000 and that"s why I"m sure it"s a sunday night online league thing. Haven"t performed well in many of the games at all.

Cheers for the input mate

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2011, 22:36:09 PM »
Haven"t been on forum for a while, been dodging tournaments to grind low stakes 5c/10c cash tables on 888 in hope of building my bankroll up. In past month gone from $180 up to $300 back down to $200 and currently $250 after my $22 satellite buy in for the Scottish.

So glad I won my seat coz I"m working on Thursday night when sale goes ahead and off to the small event that is my annual pilgrimage to T In The Park for the weekend afterwards. Yep, only 4 sleeps till the music and partying begins in Balado, really can"t wait  8)

Good luck to everyone else in satellites over the next couple of days.

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2011, 13:42:18 PM »
Sigh sigh sigh, bad couple of nights at cash tables and down to $190 now. Run really bad and lady luck failed me miserably, a couple of hands stand out in particular as being a bit on the harsh side.

:as:  :2s: in BB, raised to 3* in MP, one caller in LP and I decide to see a flop...happy days  qs  8s  4s. I bet out 70c, original raiser pops it up to 2.50, LP calls and i obv ship it all in. MP calls for his stack and LP folds. He flips QQ and board pairs on river FML.

Worse was to come, again in BB with  :2d:  :2h: and LP raises after 2 limpers and i go set mining. Happy happy happy when flop comes  4c  :2s:  4h :). Same again i bet out, get raised etc etc etc he flips JJ. Another 4 on river counterfeits me FML again and again and again lol.

Just a bad run and know that it"ll swing back again if I just play my usual game so no worries. Will prob play tonight after work then a few days off poker to enjoy the wonder of T In The Park  8)

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2011, 18:50:34 PM »
Betting out these flops is kinda gross. Not sure there is an arguement for doing it? Especially the second hand where villain will c bet so much of the time. Hands are coolers so wouldnt change the outcome but potential for missed value. Just out of interest what other hands would you be leading out with in these spots? If your doing the same with a lot of your range then I guess its better but so many people just auto raise these donk bets even at the micros.

T in the park line up looks awesome, enjoy it!

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2011, 21:47:39 PM »

The weather forecast on the other hand  ;D
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2011, 23:45:33 PM »

Betting out these flops is kinda gross. Not sure there is an arguement for doing it? Especially the second hand where villain will c bet so much of the time. Hands are coolers so wouldnt change the outcome but potential for missed value. Just out of interest what other hands would you be leading out with in these spots? If your doing the same with a lot of your range then I guess its better but so many people just auto raise these donk bets even at the micros.

Hi Mark

On these low level cash tables I"ll lead out with just about anything, hit, miss, draw or complete air regardless of flop. By leading out I"m building the pot for myself if anyone comes along for the ride. If nobody does then so be it, take it down and move on to next hand.

Ian, bring on the rain and mud, at T In The Park it makes no difference  8)

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2011, 23:51:58 PM »
Enjoy m8, I look forward to another FT with you, in Glasgow maybe?
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2011, 08:35:12 AM »
What can I say about the weekend of the APAT Scottish Amateur Final? Too much at the moment but enough for now to say I loved meeting up with everyone again, loved playing against many of you and the overall experience of winning the title is still a bit head spinning just now.

Can"t recall too many hands right now but a few flopped flushes and straights spring to mind along with my epic bluff against Scouse with 6/7 which binked me 2 pairs on the turn and river  :D . I"m sure I played a pretty solid game 95% of the time, made some bold moves on occasion and put myself out there in order to win the it. I got a huge (few) chunk(s) of luck over the 2 days, no doubt about that, flopping flush over flush against Scouse (again) to bust him out was very harsh on him and fortunate on me.

Great weekend gang, hope there"ll be many more to come soon  ;D

Fat Charlie Sheen

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
You got to run good to win and you did just that, solid game Grant. Good to see you agin.

Donka

• Bronze Member
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2011, 13:28:17 PM »
Congrats on winning mate. Played like a gent.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2011, 16:38:06 PM »
Congratulations Grant, was pleased to see you TID.

Are you playing the WCOAP? Will you be buying a pair of oversized headphones?

I hope this diary becomes instantly more Ballaaa... I am expecting tales of credit card roulette and VIP games at DTD!