Author Topic: Poker by Numbers  (Read 88810 times)

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Poker by Numbers
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 09:11:16 AM »
Did I mention they were suited???

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »

I think there must be something wrong with this blog

As one of the tightest players in APAT, I would never push with 10-7

That foggy, such a fish  ;D

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
Hi Mark, you"ve inspired me to post on my blog about that 3/4 hand in my BB and a few other similar situations i had in Coventry. I"d be very glad of any observations, comments, advice from anyone once it"s up on my blog. Cheers
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 16:12:28 PM by Santino67 »
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Newportlad

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 13:14:50 PM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 15:59:45 PM by lukybugur »
APAT Ireland 2008 Champion
APAT European 2010 Runner-Up
6 Final Tables
Captain of Team Cardiff. Online Southern Division Winners 2009
Team Cymru 2008
Team Cymru 2009
Team Cymru 2013

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 15:19:17 PM »

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 14:38:46 PM »
Happy New Year to all!

Its time for some poker related New Years Resolutions.....

1) Play to my bankroll - this is especially related to cash games, I am trying to make sure I always have 20 buy-ins for any cash game to get around variance issues - This also means, for now, AVOID playing cash games live.
2) Grow my bankroll from a current $180 to $500 as quickly as possible by playing low stakes cash games and MTT"s at $5 max (exceptions made for any online APAT events).
3) Play live as much as possible but be selective about games - get involved with as many UK based APAT events as possible.
4) Continue to track results and update blog regularly - use the forum to continue learning about my game.

Good luck on the felt to all this year.

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 17:46:25 PM »
Been enjoying playing some low stakes cash on Betfair in the last week, a few profitable sessions but slightyly down for the year so far. Feel like im learning a lot with every session though. Ordered Harrington on cash games, would like to feel like I have a proper strategy when playing cash... to me it seems so much more complicated, any flaws in my game seem to be really exposed.

Am considering a weekend away with some fellow poker loving mates to DTD this month. Perhaps to play the £100 freezeout later this month. I remember following the updates for the APAT worlds last year and looks like a great place to play poker. Also may head to The Fox Poker Club in London for one of their £50 tourneys, heard good things and only 40mins on the train for me.

Away from poker I have just received a nice new I pad (brag post but it was a work gift). Not sure what I am really going to do with it but it looks pretty cool, would be amazing if you could get online poker but, as far as I know, this is not yet possible...

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 18:17:17 PM »
Nice result with the I-Pad Mark and i wish you every success with your targets. With regards to target 2 and your bankroll, be patient coz I"ve played down at the lower levels at 3 different spells since joining Betfair and every time without fail building that bankroll takes a fair amount of time. I"m sure you"ll achieve it, the real difference will be found once you get there and can go up a level.

Don"t put too much pressure on yourself to get there quickly, and you will get there  8)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 01:01:58 AM »
Good luck with this Mark.

Don"t forget to include helping the Solent team to win the online league in your targets for the year.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 13:11:14 PM »
Spent a great weekend watching Saints beat Blackpool and then seeing the draw give us United for the 2nd time in 3 years. I have been a season ticket holder now for the last 3 years and its been great this season. I was at the last ManU game when we had Matt Paterson sent off in the first 10 minutes which ruined the game, I hope this time we can give it a good go and maybe cause another upset.

Poker wise, I was a bit gutted to miss the final league game, only been able to play a few this season but really like the idea behind it. Solent team have been great all season and John has done really well pulling the whole team together. Looking forward to next season.
Boring Friday night/Saturday morning in led me to playing some micro stakes cash on Betfair. Was great fun, playing 4 tables and made 4 buyins in the session. Loads of people who have clearly had a bit to much to drink p**sing their money up the wall. Now just need to transfer this up the stakes a bit. Break even for the month and $140 up online since started recording results in November.

Currently reading Gus Hansens "Every Hand Revealed" on my lunch break - well reccomended for advice and just a generally great read.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 23:41:38 PM »
BINKETY BINK BINK

Mark Porter and myself are off to Betfair London Live!, courtesy of the Betfair Poker Forum, and what an nice bunch of people they are too.

Really enjoyed that.   ;D

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 18:11:38 PM »
Well Well Well......

So, I sat down to play the Betfair forum Live tourney thing last night without a great deal of confidence. Mainly because I just don"t understand how to play 6 handed tables very well. I just can"t seem to adjust my aggression appropriately which is obviously a really key part of short handed play. I find the hardest part is putting players on hands, I think that I have a fairly good idea when playing 9/10 handed what people have, my reading skills are definitely getting better (one step up from non existent!). 6 handed is usually a nightmare for me though.

Not much changed last night, I didnt play too badly but still found it tough. Had one nice hand when I called a raise with 6, 9 off suit and flopped a straight. All the money went in on the Queen turn and the guys Ace Queen was well beat. It was pretty quickly down hill from there and ended up shoving 12xbb"s with AJ to run into AQ. This was just after I had joined Leigh's table where he had already amassed a pretty tasty chip stack.

So from then on I had Leigh's table open and went from casually looking every couple of minutes to avidly watching and shouting at the screen. Without wanting to sound like a kiss arse, hats off to Leigh for clearly playing so well. He ran over both tables I watched him on and had the chip lead for 90% of the tournament. The relentless 3 and 4 betting was just scary to watch - high level poker from where I was sitting.

Final table was pretty nerve racking, especially when only 3 left. The highlights being the Royal Flush and getting it in with AQ dominated by AK only for the board to pair twice. When the final hand was won, I did let out a cheer, it was so well deserved on Leigh's part and I am really grateful.

From a selfish point of view this is an amazing opportunity for me to play a tournament that I would realistically never have the bankroll to buy in directly to. I can"t wait to go, and hopefully meet a few fellow APATers. I think the drinks may be on me!

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 18:49:12 PM »

hats off to Leigh for clearly playing so well. He ran over both tables I watched him on and had the chip lead for 90% of the tournament. The relentless 3 and 4 betting was just scary to watch - high level poker from where I was sitting.

seriously well done - now the two of ye had better bink the main event

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 19:25:04 PM »
VWP to the both of you and the very best of luck in the tournament guys !
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 22:56:00 PM »
So its been 3 months since I started playing poker online and live fairly regularly and have some decent enough results.

Online - Profit $286.37

This is actually a bit misleading as I am counting $150 expenses that I received when Leigh binked the seat for him and myself to the London Live. (Can this be counted as winnings and my second biggest online cash???!) Am quite pleased with my cash game now. I am probably down a couple of buy-ins overall but in the last month have been getting a lot of practise in playing 2 hour sessions of two tables at the micro stakes. I enjoy it and think I can make small profits. Tournament poker, again my winnings are swayed by my one largest cash of $175. Am not playing many tournaments at the moment but will try and pick up my volume this month.

Live - Loss £106 -meh

Am getting pretty buzzed about London Live next weekend. Got some live poker practice in last weekend that didnt go great. Overplayed and overthought a couple of hands, didn"t play my natural game and ended up busting shoving my 15bigs into aces. It annoys me that when I play online i have a concrete strategy that i can implement yet when I sit on the live felt it all goes a bit Pete Tong. Still am hoping that I can get something going in London. Have decided not to book a hotel and just wing it on the day... doesnt say a lot about my confidence on making day 2 but don"t wanna waste money. I think I might play the 4 $20 events in the GSOP on betfair that are just straight hold em. Good structures so will prob give them a shot.

Looking forward to Season 5 announcements.... my target is to make a final table this season. Bring it on.